Triumph 675 Forums banner

Dealer experiences

3K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  luciano136 
#1 ·
Anyone else have a bad dealer experience, my 675r is at the dealer for a leaking headgasket, it's been two weeks since I've dropped it off and they just got the approval today from triumph to do a headgasket.
This to me is ridiculous, i work at a BMW dealer and it would have never taken two weeks to get an approval from the manufacturer. So far im a displeased customer and to top it, the dealer has no communication skills what so ever, the only time i get any kinda update on my bike is only when i call them (the dealer).

Maybe this is an easier answer but is there a customer service number i can call for triumph?

Also i live in Columbus Ohio and the bike is at moto Ohio. Probly won't ever take my bike back for any kind of service work again. Will only buy parts from now on

#2 ·
That sux to hear man. Not all places r bad tho. I live in grand forks ND and i have to take my nike to the triumph dealer in fargo ND. Love that place. Guys genuinely love triumph and they bend over backwards for a memorable experience. When i couldn't get the bike hm after buying her they drove it down in 1 of the employees own vehicles to my house. Over a 60 mile drive. Then after i installed my 2 bro exhaust they gave me the TOR free of charge. Just sux that not every dealer can b as good as mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#3 ·
A friend of mine has a tiger 800 that has been in the shop three times in the past month for overheating. (he has only has the bike for 6 weeks)

They either couldn't duplicate the issue, or did a cheap/quick repair (that we knew wouldn't fix it).

Now they are trying to get a new head approved through triumph to put on an engine that has gotten really hot countless times. The communication is poor and the delays are unreasonable.

I took my two 675s to the same dealer for the RR recall. Was initially told they would be ready the that afternoon, but due to schedule conflicts it was two days later before i could get there. I had to call to get any updates, and they had to rush to finish then while i drove to pick them up.

I think the real issue is that the dealers don't make squat on warranty work, which ultimately impacts the pay and quality/ professionalism of their employees.

#4 ·
Anytime I contact my dealer they tell me my work will take only a couple hours, I usually leave it over night for my convenience instead of of sitting around for a couple hours... they're more than happy to get it back to me same day if I can drop it off early enough...

#5 ·
LA Cyclesports / OTD Cyclesports in SoCal had the best price in town when I was shopping for my Striple a couple years ago, so I bought it from them. It was a hassle-free purchase, and I love the bike, ride it every day. It's been back to the dealership only twice, the first time for a toasted stator and just recently went back a second time for the R/R recall.

When the stator failed on my ride to the office (and subsequently my battery died), they came out to pick me up and give me a ride to work, then brought my bike back to the dealership to get it repaired. The stator was replaced under warranty, and they delivered my bike back to my house 6 days later, the week between Christmas and New Year's. Minor inconvenience, but not a penny out of my pocket.

For the R/R recall, I stopped by the dealership to request the work done. Took about 5 minutes to confirm that my bike was indeed included in the recall, and they said they would call me when the replacement R/R comes in. Part comes in 2 weeks later, I come into the dealership, and the R/R swap is completed in 20 minutes!

The new showroom is just around the corner from the old location in Inglewood, but it is much larger and with 10x more inventory. The gear section is larger, as is the parts department. They did a really nice job with this relocation and expansion!

Best price, fast and friendly service. I'd recommend them.

#6 ·
I hear YA!

It seems as if there is a lack of checking in. For example you order a part that is not in stock so they place the order for you.

Things they should tell you when you order:

1. Is item on back order. If so, when is expected arrival to warehouse.
2. Expected time of arrival to warehouse, if back ordered. Expected time of arrival to dealer.

Once item is placed on order they should keep you updated on the parts location. Eg: the warehouse, on parts truck....

While the part is on order they should communicate if there are any delays.

I feel like I am always contacting the Dealer for updates when they could take 5 minutes just to call/leave voice mail or email.

OP i totally hear ya.

I feel as if there is a total disconnect because they don't miss the bike. It's your bike and you would like it back. It's reassuring when you get a phone call just for an update, even if it is going to take longer than expected.

Here is what you are looking for:

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/the-triumph-company/contact-us

Good Luck!

Joe

#7 ·
So far I'm happy with anything my dealer has done. In fact, they tried to give me a free Street Triple last time.
I dropped it off for the R/R recall (with a scheduled appointment and the parts were in). I called the next day and confirmed it was done. The service guy wasn't in but they printed a warranty receipt and sent me on my way.
A week later the service guy called to tell me my bike was ready and I could come pick it up. I was standing in my garage staring at MINE when they called. Told them I would love to have an extra but someone else might get mad.:laugh:

As long as I schedule an appointment, they get the parts in advance and turn it out pretty quick.

#8 ·
The local Triumph dealer, Riverside Motor Sports in Somerville, have always been reliable and competent. I have been dealing with them for sometime, as they used to also service my Aprilia.
For me, having a good dealer and service is paramount to owning a particular brand of bike. Competition will do that.

#10 ·
My 2012 D675R was in for warranty before 400 miles. Seem like a lot of "red tape" when dealing with dealers and the manufacturer for warranty work. Dealer sought approval from Triumph USA, and Triumph USA from Triumph UK. Ultimately, Triumph UK had to agree.

The dealer does get to bill the manufacturer for warranty work that was performed. But I agree there is less incentive for the dealer to expedite the process when it's not coming out of the owners pocket. They'd rather help the more fortunate people standing in line waiting for oil changes, who haven't had any problems with their brand spankin new bikes. They'd rather have one pissed off guy for 50 days, versus a line of pissed off people eating pastries and waiting on an oil change. The whole "1 person will tell 10 friends" thing, right?

I had to call to get updates. I received an update after i gave up and backed off a bit. They will not get anymore business from me. Of course, MAYBE, if something else goes wrong. But I think I'd rather take it to the next closest dealer for any warranty work. I may just eat the cost if it's minor enough.

Advice 1: When you get your bike back, look over it closely for oversights.
Advice 2: Document everything, from the day/time dropped off, day/time of your phone calls and what they told you, etc. It may come in handy one day.

#13 ·
I'm getting close to my 500 mile service, any advice for me? My main concerns are:

Poor gas mileage
Engine rough under 6k rpm
6 bar temp gauge
Getting stiffed by dealer
what is your gas mileage? My bike gets right at 33mpg. I dont know of anyone who really buys an SS bike for fuel economy though. Heck, your tires will be lucky to make 4000-5000 miles and they arent cheap to replace (although there are competitively priced options)

Engine rough, what do you mean? My bike always, um not rough starting but it seems to have a miss or something till it warms up.

6 bar temp gauge is normal, search that.

What did dealer stiff you on?

#12 ·
my first bike was in 4 times for a simple oil leak that started with me riding off the lot. I first noticed it and took pics when i put on frame/slider covers at about 250 miles. When i took it in, they couldnt find the oil leak, i then called a few weeks later to setup the first service and have them check the oil leak again. They said they couldnt get it in for 2-3 weeks...... are you kidding me? it's an oil change! plus they were out of the oil??!!! anyway, i DIY and brought it to them a week or so later to "check it". when i went to pick it up over a week later (without any communication), they said the sliders caused the oil leak and wanted to charge me for the service. i got into a huge argument with the service manager that ended with him saying he would keep my bike if i didnt pay the tab (illegal, he can send me to collections, put a mechanics lien on it etc), anyway, i paid and left. Sure enough, still leaking. brought it back in, they finally found a pinched gasket and repaired it. They returned the bike to me with all the fairings covered in oil (inside), scratched and missing a fairing bolt which they refused to replace and charged me $7 for.

New bike hasnt seen the dealer since the day i picked it up. Runs fine. Good luck and order parts online, much cheaper!

#15 · (Edited)
Stat, you're on a Daytona right? I get 31 mpg on my STR, that's why I'm looking forward to this service, to find out wtf is the deal. When I fill up I can't fill more than 3.1 gallons.

what is your gas mileage? My bike gets right at 33mpg. I dont know of anyone who really buys an SS bike for fuel economy though. Heck, your tires will be lucky to make 4000-5000 miles and they arent cheap to replace (although there are competitively priced options)

Engine rough, what do you mean?
Right now I'm getting about 30 miles per gallon, all city miles, but still right?

In 1st gear, off a roll stop for example, the engine lugs and knocks between 2 an 5000 rpm, then it's smooth and great.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#19 ·
you guys have it set on imperial MPG. Switch it to US MPG.

for city/high rpm riding, 30s is normal.

#21 ·
I have had nothing but a great dealer experience with Freedom Cycle of Las Vegas / Reno. They have answered questions, looked at things, helped me with silly stuff and got me parts for my 12 D675 super fast.

They loaded the TOR map from Triumph, during my 500 mile service, and my MPG wet up from 38 to 42 MPG without the over heating I was experiencing with other maps. Not to mention it is very streatable.

Freedom Cycle bleeds Blue and really cares about the people they serve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.