Triumph 675 Forums banner

Sato Shift Spindle Holder?

20K views 60 replies 30 participants last post by  easbaysav 
#1 ·
Hi folks.

Just wondering, if any of you folk have come across, or fitted, this...
http://www.satoracing.com/rearsets675R.htm#shiftspindleholder

It looks neat, given the theme of my bike is black with gold bits, and, since a friend has suffered a broken Shift Spindle, it seems like a good idea to me.

regards,CrazyCam

#2 ·
I've ordered one from Kyle Racing, but seeing as Sato Racing have no stock I'd bet it's gonna be a long time before I see it.

#3 ·
I have had the first that Dan received (at my request) on my bike for almost a year now. :thumbup:

I didn't like how the long exposed end of the shifter rod was only supported by one case bearing and the seal with the slot for the C clip at the point of stress creating what I saw as a weak point. I am heavy on downshifts and have a quick shifter installed so saw it as good insurance. It also made the shifter action a bit more solid and use of the quick shifter felt more precise. Lost the slight "rubbery" feeling in the linkage so there must have been some flex or wobble there. You really can't see it unless you are looking for it. It fits behind the stock front sprocket cover without issue just that you have to secure or re-route the vent tubes because the wire keeper that prevents them from getting in the chain can't be re-installed. I just double zip tied it around the gear position sensor.

The bearing in the holder is Teflon coated with a very precise fit but I do use some waterproof bearing grease on it to seal out water and grit.

Attachments

#6 ·
Sato ..

I broke the shifter shaft recently. It snapped like a carrot right at the groove for the "C" clip on a relatively gentle quickshifter upshift into 3rd gear.

After getting a replacement shaft I also fitted the Sato shift shaft part which I purchased from Kyle racing.

Around five days from the USA to Australia...and he had it in stock.

The Sato shifter part comes complete with two longer bolts in the package.

I've noticed the difference in shifting since fitting the Sato part, there is definitely less flex in the shaft like Orangeman said.

A wise investment for all you triple riders, it just may save you a long ride home stuck in 3rd gear! :nod:

S.

#8 ·
I take back what I said, I just received mine today via UPS. No communication from Kyle Racing regarding shipment or tracking but here it is. I'll fit it tonight and try it out on the commute tomorrow.

#9 ·
#12 ·
I didn't notice any difference in feel when I fitted mine but the bike only had 10,000 kms on it so that's no surprise.

I do feel better about the shaft being less likely to snap now though.

#22 ·
I fancy adding one of the shifter supports now, and found a UK supplier, but I'm loathed to bolt anything gold to my bike, after already going to such lengths to rid it of anything gold. Can't understand why all their other products are offered in gold, silver or black, but this one they only do in minging gold. Wonder if it's possible to press out the teflon bush and reinsert it, so that I could get the support anodised black?...

#23 ·
I fancy adding one of the shifter supports now, and found a UK supplier, but I'm loathed to bolt anything gold to my bike, after already going to such lengths to rid it of anything gold.
Ditto.

Can't understand why all their other products are offered in gold, silver or black, but this one they only do in minging gold. Wonder if it's possible to press out the teflon bush and reinsert it, so that I could get the support anodised black?...
If you manage to anodise it, let me know how it goes.

#28 ·
I've just had a thought. I could ask the anodisers about masking the bush. I know areas can be masked for anodising, but I don't know whether they can mask for stripping the original anodising (obviously the chemicals used for stripping are pretty nasty stuff, that I can't imagine would do a teflon bush much good).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.