Triumph 675 Forums banner

Stupid things people say or ask about our bikes.....

326K views 2K replies 456 participants last post by  NefRider 
#1 ·
I was hit with a pretty good one yesterday.

Bystander: Nice bike! What kind is it?
Me: Triumph Street Triple
Bystander: Cool, who makes it?
Me: Uh, lol, Triumph
Bystander: Oh, OK, I thought Triumph just made cars?
Me: I just laugh a little and go about my business.

#2 ·
Got a good one too...this happened yesterday after our trackday as we were heading home. It was me, newtomoto, and dis-dis that saw this happening.

Basically, some guy comes up to "dis-dis" and starts admiring his 675.

Highlight questions from the douche:

"Is that the original Triumph"
"Its like a gixxer huh"
"It looks like the mix of a gixxer and a ducati"

Newtomoto and I were standing around. We had to run back in his car and just busted up laughing. :laugh:

#10 ·
Got a good one too...this happened yesterday after our trackday as we were heading home. It was me, newtomoto, and dis-dis that saw this happening.

Basically, some guy comes up to "dis-dis" and starts admiring his 675.

Highlight questions from the douche:

"Is that the original Triumph"
"Its like a gixxer huh"
"It looks like the mix of a gixxer and a ducati"

Newtomoto and I were standing around. We had to run back in his car and just busted up laughing. :laugh:
Yeah I was like - "Its pretty much a ducati dude" :rofl::rofl::rofl:

#3 ·
Funny this is on here.

Someone asked me What bike it was.
I replied Triumph Daytona.
them: Who makes that?
Me: Triumph
Them: Does it have a honda motor
Me: No (Unbelievably amazed by the question)
Them: So it has nothing with honda in it.
Me: No
Them: Oh Ok. And walked away.

That was the strangest one I have had so far.

This post has been deleted
#5 ·
My boss (A major in the US Army, and an avid dirt riding fan...) just (Litteraly...not 5 minutes ago) told me that Triumph makes shit bikes, and that I should ride a BMW

:O
Point him to the thread topic showing BMW's new liter sport bike having a catostrophic failure

#8 ·
kid about 17-18 years old at a local car show.."how'd you get that red bull sticker on there?"

me "are you familiar with how stickers work?" followed by a long blank stare...

he walked away.

#11 ·
just parked at school....this guy comes up to me

guy: hey is that an r6?
me: no
guy: is that a gixxer?
me: no it's a triumph daytona 675
guy: oh....how many cc's is that....250?
me: 675.....
guy: oh wow that's a lot....how many cylinders does it have....12?
me: uhhh....this isn't a car.....but it has 3 cylinders....*face palm in my thoughts*

#12 ·
Leaving Saddleback College parking lot:

Dude 1: "Dude, once I get a bit more financially stable, I'm ganna get a ducati like that."
Dude 2 (dude 1's friend): "Dude, that's not a ducati, it's a Honda."
Dude 1: "Hondas don't come that red. It's got to be a Ducati."
Me: *point at huge "Triumph" logo on tank and shake head with helmet on... Massive sign...

#18 ·
Back when I had the Monster I heard my favorite line from a little kid who was walking by with his buddy while I was outside working on it.

Kid: That looks like BATMAN'S bike!!

#730 ·
That's really funny, I had 6 year old ask me if I was Iron Man.

#34 ·
I catch hell for that every time I see my one set of friends. They stored my bike in their garage for me the first winter I owned it (I was still in an apartment that first year owning the Triumph) and he would send me text messages like "hey I just took your bike off the battery tender and started her up to make sure whe was good and when I turned her off she started complaining." They say it sounds like the transformers sound and since my bike looks exactly the same colo as that damn Camaro in the movie, they were calling my bike Bumblebee.

#23 ·
There's 3 types of people who wander up at random and ask questions.

#1 The genuinely interested but not really into bikes.
Person who I work with asking about my 675 when it was new, took a lot of convincing to persuade him it had 3 cylinders, he was absolutely convinced there was only singles, twins and 4's
he left with a "well that's amazing, you learn something new every day" attitude.

#2 The know it all, though after 30 seconds you realise they know nothing about bikes wanker.
When I had a R1 this bloke at a petrol station asked me how "big is it?" I told him it's one liter/1000cc, he declared it can't be as all blue Yamahas are 750cc cause his nephew owned one 10 years ago.
After a bit of an argument I gave up, nothing would change his mind.

#3 The old bloke who is reminiscing about the 'good old days' and remark on how nice bikes are now and wishes they were still young enough to ride.
Best one was this 70's year old lady who spotted 'Triumph' on the tank. Wound up speaking to her for about 20min, turns out she and her husband eloped in the 1950's and rode a Norton round Australia
picking up work when they needed petrol for the next leg of the journey, she hated hauling it out of the mud when they were in the top end in wet season.

#24 ·
Some of my personal favorites:

Scenario #1
Idiot male: "Wow, you ride pretty good [sic] for a girl!"
Me: "And you have an amazingly flat forehead for a Neanderthal."

Scenario #2
I've lived this scene a couple of times - usually when I stop for petrol:

Idiot male: "Hey, is that your Triumph?"
Me: "Yes."
Idiot male: "Are you riding it?"
Me: "Yes."
Idiot male: "By yourself??"
Me: Exaggerated blank stare then say, "Well, my boyfriend was on the back but I left him in a ditch about 7 miles back. He kept saying stupid shit about girls on motorcycles."
This is where the conversation usually ends.

Caveat: As a general rule I do not think men are idiots. I must admit, however, I've encountered some real winners while riding.

#25 ·
If only that were just while riding :p

#29 ·
I just rode from work to the local post office t o mail a package and I just had to come right back and share this. These two things were said to les than 5 minutes ago:

I was exiting the post office getting ready to mount my steed when an old guy in a pickup truck said "how do you do that?" Thinking he meant ride one of these machines (because clearly when he was young enough to ride a bike they actually measured horsepower by puttig a horse drawn buggy next to a motorbike do) I asked in return "do what?" He responded "dres like it's winter?" Mind you i'm wearing a textile jacket not even a leather one. I replied with my usual retort "I'd rather be hot than hurt."

Then after leaving teh post office I went to one of the local Chinese Food establishments to pick up my lunch (General Tso's chicken and fried rice in case you're wondering) and the kid behind the counter says to me "oh you ride motorcycle? I ride toooo." Always eager to meet a fellow two wheeled warrior I asked "That's good, what do you ride?" He comes out of his goofy mouth with "it's a scooter!" Annoyed at the very comparison between my Daytona 675 and his Panda House delivery scooter I said "oh well maybe one day you can get a big bike" (thinking that I wasn't being too big of an a-hole for saying that) he replied, "for now iz okay but maybe next time I get one like yuu."

People, scooters are not motorcycles, you are not us and you are not cool! Riding a scooter (save for the Ruckus because that thing is badazz) is only acceptable in Europe and while on vacation and even then only when there is a beach, boardwalk or tropical back drop involved.

#30 ·
I just rode from work to the local post office t o mail a package and I just had to come right back and share this. These two things were said to les than 5 minutes ago:

I was exiting the post office getting ready to mount my steed when an old guy in a pickup truck said "how do you do that?" Thinking he meant ride one of these machines (because clearly when he was young enough to ride a bike they actually measured horsepower by puttig a horse drawn buggy next to a motorbike do) I asked in return "do what?" He responded "dres like it's winter?" Mind you i'm wearing a textile jacket not even a leather one. I replied with my usual retort "I'd rather be hot than hurt."

Then after leaving teh post office I went to one of the local Chinese Food establishments to pick up my lunch (General Tso's chicken and fried rice in case you're wondering) and the kid behind the counter says to me "oh you ride motorcycle? I ride toooo." Always eager to meet a fellow two wheeled warrior I asked "That's good, what do you ride?" He comes out of his goofy mouth with "it's a scooter!" Annoyed at the very comparison between my Daytona 675 and his Panda House delivery scooter I said "oh well maybe one day you can get a big bike" (thinking that I wasn't being too big of an a-hole for saying that) he replied, "for now iz okay but maybe next time I get one like yuu."

People, scooters are not motorcycles, you are not us and you are not cool! Riding a scooter (save for the Ruckus because that thing is badazz) is only acceptable in Europe and while on vacation and even then only when there is a beach, boardwalk or tropical back drop involved.
thats a good one, altho unless my food was already cooked and i wasnt going back there, i probably wouldnt have said that. i do hate it when i get mopeds giving the universal hand sign while passing, sometimes i actually fall for it, bastards...

#31 ·
The above reminds me of a similar story actually (gear related).

I went for a nice long twisty hunting ride (prior to my track daze), and decided to finish it up with a quick dinner at Subway. I walked in wearing my full get-up. A* leathers, Held gauntlets, squeeky track boots, back protector etc. I think when I first walked in I was still wearing my helmet even... When the kid puts my sangwhich in the uber-microwave to "toast" it, he looks at me and says "So...are you out riding a bike?" I quite literally said "No, I dress like this in 90* heat for fun" The kid looked back at me and said "Oh, ok"

I felt so bad I had to tell him that yes, I was indeed riding a motorcycle...

#32 ·
LOL!! I get questioned too when wearing full gear. Mostly at work. Same old wow its summer why are you wearing a leather jacket? Cause I like my skin on me.....

Few summers ago I was picking up this girl I was dating and her mom told me to ditch the power rangers suit. I about lost it!:laugh:

#35 ·
alright i got a decent one.

kid who claims has a neon srt4(stock): Dude that's a pretty nice bike what kind is it.
me:It's a triumph street triple.
Kid:eek:h it's not a crotch rocket right? is it still fast or what?
me: I mean yea any bike with 100hp will be pretty fast.
kid: yea, I think i could take you with my srt4.
me: hmm maybe top speed but anything else i doubt it.
kid: dude, once the turbo spools in my srt4, PEACE
me: yea you're probably right....
and walked away

#42 ·
What is a "true motorcycle" again? Does it have to make loud vroom vroom noises and be able to reach 120 mph? Or does it just have to not make you "feel" gay when riding it?

Too much macho bullshit with motorcyclists these days. Understand the history and development of motorcycles and you'll broaden your horizon a bit.

#492 ·
Nice Budo,

I live in downtown Toronto and I miss my 300cc Vespa - it could do 130kmh, was as comfortable as riding gets, needed no maintenance and could park in my office building for free. There is no question that my StripleR is faster - but I don't know about cooler - Vespas have been cool since the 50s... The point I want to make is this: a stable of bikes is required. For me it would be a Vespa, StripleR and BMW R1200 to cover all the bases.

#44 ·
And furthermore for someon who rides the former to compare it to my bike is somewhat insulting.
That's the problem... why should it be insulting? Why should it not be enlightening?

The scooter hate in the motorcycle community is nothing more than an attitude issue. Adjust that and we all get along fine :nod:

#45 ·
Guy didn't really say anything stupid just stupid looks. New coworker of mine just wrecked his gixxer 750 with nothing but t-shirt and shorts on (mild road rash he is super lucky).

Me: I have a Triumph Daytona 675.
Him: Cool, can I check it out?
Me: Sure (and we go to the parking deck)
Him: Oh I was expecting it to be some older bike, is it a 600?
Me: 675cc 3 cylinder
Him: 3 cylinders (baffled look)
Me: Yeah its more narrow more low end torque that normal 600.
Him (Baffled look)
Me: Yeah its great on the track.
Him: (REALLY baffled look)
Him: is maintenance expensive like a Ducati?
Me: Nah, but I do all oil changes easy maintenance myself.
Him: (SEVERELY Baffled look) You do that yourself?
Me: Yeah its a piece of cake!

He walked away... honestly the whole conversation felt like I was in the twilight zone the whole time. (No gear, No clue about bikes, No clue how to work on one)
I was just amazed!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.