Triumph 675 Forums banner

Faulty shorai?

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  t_bare 
#1 ·
Had a shorai battery put in just 2 weeks shy of one year.

Was wondering if A) I got a shit battery B) the parasitic draw is killing the battery C) stator might be done/rectifier starting to crap out.

I've been ridden almost daily since end of spring. Less than 2 hours ago after riding for 40 minutes straight my bike didn't start cause battery wasn't giving it anything. It dropped so low to the point my lights started flickering and dash dimming.

I jumped the bike but dash still dimmed, got back onto highway and everything charged up. Stopped into local traffic for less than 5 minutes off Highway and lights start dimmimg and flickering again.

#4 ·
Any lithium battery should not drop below 9 volts. If it does, you've usually toasted it and most warranties have a fine print in there about not covering it because you damaged it and it wasn't a manufacturer defect.

Parasitic drain is a very bad thing for a lithium battery as well because of the whole 9v thing.

Your problem sounds more like a charging issue/faulty wiring/short somewhere. fwiw.

#5 ·
It's not the battery, either my stator is done or the r/r is going. I'll have to figure it out when I have time. I'm leaning towards the stator.

#9 ·
Does anyone have pictures/locations of the all the frame grounds?

#11 ·
Yea, the stator is a crapshoot, stator voltage is at 8 during idle. Battery at idle is under 13 and doesn't break 13 when revved.

If anyone has a stator fs shoot me a pm.

I'm getting mixed opinions on ricks stators so I think I don't want that unless people can convince otherwise. Oem is so much money though.

#12 ·
I ended up getting an OEM stator; can't believe 5 fuggin months since I've rode.

2 coils were completely burnt to a crisp; 2-4 other's pretty dark.

what would cause this? bikes only has 14k.

#13 ·
I just replaced a stator on my Hypermotard. I suspect the connection between the stator and R/R got bad enough (resistance) to cook the wires in the stator. Bike left me stranded twice and passed every test except "short to ground" on the stator wires. It would run fine when I topped off the battery so it took me a long time to figure out i even had an issue. Also Shorai has a 5 year warranty, 1st year 100% and 2-5 50% off a new battery. I cashed in a 5 year old battery and got an upgraded size for half price. They were great to deal with as well!

Good Luck!
t_bare

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.