Triumph 675 Forums banner

Jacket suggestions

12K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  Gzblack2 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I've been riding my new to me 2012 street triple for a few months now and I absolutely love it! I've had a revit ignition 2 jacket for a bit over a year now, and it's nice, fairly versatile, and thanks to me losing about 40lbs, two sizes too big. I rode a cruiser before and a little big never seemed to matter, but now I really feel the wind catch me once in a while and I know I need something that fits snugger.

I live in Los Angeles and commute year round. No track days in my future (at least not that I can see) but I do ride the canyons. Trying to keep it under $500-600, but safety and fit def come first. Is dainese or alpinestars the way to go absolutely? Leather or textile? I'd love to hear what you guys have to say.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
check out TJ at riders discount for the best forum prices

at a 500-600 range you will be fine pretty much anything you choose.
i have ridden with the AGV sport dragon leather jacket for almost 2 years now.
it has done it all for me, but gets hot as ballz in the summer

i am going with this
https://www.ridersdiscount.com/alpin...et-2013-141861
and will have it next week... can give you an update with riding conditions in a few weeks.

also check out
https://www.ridersdiscount.com/alpin...-jacket-221997
this is the 'higher end' version.

both will be great late spring, summer, early fall jackets.

And revzilla is the place to go to research gear. the gear guides and video break downs are awesome. a lot of information presented very well

hope that helps

#3 ·
I've always a been huge fan of leather since it's cow skin! That stuff is durable as hell! I know textile is getting better with abrasion resistance but leather can't be beat...my .02. I currently have the best of both worlds with Alpinestars SMX Airflow jacket. Leather in the impact areas with mesh in the body.

#4 ·
Hey guys,

I've been riding my new to me 2012 street triple for a few months now and I absolutely love it! I've had a revit ignition 2 jacket for a bit over a year now, and it's nice, fairly versatile, and thanks to me losing about 40lbs, two sizes too big. I rode a cruiser before and a little big never seemed to matter, but now I really feel the wind catch me once in a while and I know I need something that fits snugger.

I live in Los Angeles and commute year round. No track days in my future (at least not that I can see) but I do ride the canyons. Trying to keep it under $500-600, but safety and fit def come first. Is dainese or alpinestars the way to go absolutely? Leather or textile? I'd love to hear what you guys have to say.

Thanks!

Congrats on the weight to loss...that's awesome.

That looks like a very versatile jacket that you had.

ReVit makes great stuff. Check out the flatbush Vintage, now available in perf. I have the non perforated one.

#5 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. Looking into all of these. Also found another brand of interest... rs taichi. There's a shop in Santa Monica that sells all of the above so I'm gonna check them out next week. I'll let you know where I land.

#7 ·
.....Also found another brand of interest... rs taichi. There's a shop in Santa Monica that sells all of the above so I'm gonna check them out next week. I'll let you know where I land.
Absolutely top-notch jackets, I have 3, lol. The Team Leather Mesh is a great mesh/leather hybrid, it might be out of current production, but there are still some for sale on the racks.

#10 ·
Ended up with dainese airfast perforated leather jacket. It's snug, which will take a little getting used to, but I'm sure it will break in a bit too. It's a trip... My revit was a size 46...this is a size 40. I've lost more weight than I realized!

#11 ·
Ended up with dainese airfast perforated leather jacket. It's snug, which will take a little getting used to, but I'm sure it will break in a bit too. It's a trip... My revit was a size 46...this is a size 40. I've lost more weight than I realized!

Daaaaang!!! Congrats on the weight loss. Can't go wrong with anything Dainese imo.

A little off topic but what regiment did you do to lose the weight? I'm always looking at new and different routines to try in the gym ever few months or so.

#13 ·
Thanks! I did very low carb diet and run 1-5 miles with my dog every morning. Hard to get started but easy to keep going.

Yeah I need to do more of actual cardio! I've been hooked on bodyweight circuit training for some time now but really don't mix too much cardio in. I may do 1-2 days a week...if that!

#15 ·
This is very true. As of lately, the past 2-3 weeks, I haven't really been able to workout like I want to. Maybe a day here and then a day there with many days in between! I watch what I eat of course and with not working out I've noticed I haven't ballooned into fat arse!

#18 ·
Great question, but I can't say. I wear a one piece textile (think Aerostich) or a zip together AlpineStar jacket and leather pants or a one piece Pilot leather suit. No experience with kevlar.

I put the idea of Kevlar jeans out there as it seems like a cost effective intermediate step in the protection curve that may fit into your style sensibility.

Personally, I don't care if I look like a dork as long as I know I'm wearing enough gear to protect me from reasonable harm.

Best,

x

#20 ·
I'm rocking the Alpinestars GP Plus R leather jacket. I struggled with it for a bit because of the logos but it is the best fitting jacket I have ever tried on. For someone with an athletic build, this is the jacket for you. For reference, I am 6'2" 200 lbs athletic build and size 56 fits me perfectly (a bit loose in the waist still but easily adjustable with the velcro straps).

#22 ·
I've worn and crashed in the Dainese Zen years ago at 70mph, held up great! Passed it on to my father when he started riding too. Now I wear the Dainese racing D1 perforated leather jacket mated with the Delta Pro C2 pants and couldn't be happier. Also went down in them last year and besides some rash they held up just fine. Leather quality, stitching, padding etc is all very well done. Not a scratch on me.

#25 ·
I see people discussing jackets in relation to safety and it's a very good discussion but for some reason the discussion ends there despite almost half our body being below the waistline.

I think it's time we (motorcyclists in general I mean) started discussing a more complete body protecion scheme. 90% of the riders I see out there wear good quality jackets coupled with a simple pair of jeans. In the event of a crash the lower body suffers too though and knees in particular are very easy to injure.

So, especially after my track-caused knee injury I've decided to better protect my lower body, even for moderately-paced canyon riding. Since I can't stand leather pants when riding in the streets (because I also socialize before, during and after and in places not exactly impartial to an all - leather sportsbike outfit) so I wear kevlar-reinforced anti-abrasive jeans with easy to remove over-pants knee protectors (the articulate Dainese ones are really excellent) and under-pants hip/upper thigh/lower back protection. And of course proper boots. I've never spilled myself in the streets thankfully (despite having ridden more than 120K miles in total) but if it ever happens I want to be as ready as possible.

Attachments

#26 ·
Ffemt I can only tell you the the fit and finish are up to the typical astar quality. I've own another astar jacket that fits snug and I went up one size to fit back and chest protection. I got a great deal and part of my thought process was I an going to have the suit professionally fitted. Best of both worlds,off the rack cheaper than closeout price/custom fit!!!

Plasma I here you on the pants issue. I don't wear leather while I commute,but I have a great pair of mesh over pants for that. 2 zip out liners,one for warmth the other wind/water. This makes them truly 4 season pants. Even though they are black with out the liner I wear shorts underneath in 90°+ no sweat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.