Triumph 675 Forums banner

Convince me to get a 675R for trackdays only

6K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  IrishCatholic 
#1 ·
1st world problems alert!

There's too many choices I keep going back to liter-bikes but my gut tells me that's a mistake. 636, street triple, Motards, 848 streetfighters, 848, 600's everywhere. I'm pretty sure the 675R is a no brainer but need to hear from others what's I'll like so much about it compared to other bikes I could get?

I ride at about an intermediate club level and plan to do tracks all over the mid-west.

Thanks in advance! :smile2:

#15 ·
....I ask as I've had some issues of late with my track bike and I'm considering changing bikes.
At higher racing levels - I think all one has to do is look at the grid and see the overwhelming ratio of Japanese to Euro bikes and it's pretty obvious what the preference is. I'm basing this (A) that these higher level teams can afford to race whatever they want and (B) the D675 has been out since 2006 and it just isn't winning podiums on a consistent basis like the HondaYamaSuki is.

Ruby - being overseas dramatically levels the field regarding the spares issue in your case, but even at that, I'd still run Japanese just based on the outright success of the Japanese bike's winning records.

#16 ·
Ruby - being overseas dramatically levels the field regarding the spares issue in your case, but even at that, I'd still run Japanese just based on the outright success of the Japanese bike's winning records.
Thats where if you are overseas, in particular the UK the 675 has won multiple titles and is quite competitve.. Differnt type of tracks suit different bikes, and also the quality of rider comes into play.

If we are just talking track riding, and street riding get what gets you exicted when you see it, and feels good as you ride it. Any supersport bike out there is capable of being one of the fastest bikes on track in the A group, with the right rider.. WE MORTALS ARE THE LIMITING FACTOR!

Another reason I like literbikes, as I am not about lap times as much as having fun and enjoying myself.

Reactions: ssbfgc
#8 ·
My two cents: If you're planning on racing, buy a 3rd gen R6. If you want the easiest middleweight to go fast on, buy a 3rd gen R6. There's a reason that bike is still dominating MotoAmerica and all other superstock 600 racing series; they're kick-ass, well-engineered race machines. They're reasonably priced when purchased second hand. A salvaged one with low miles can be had for less than $4K, clean title/low miles for around $6K. I've seen fully built race-ready R6s (custom suspension, full exhaust, tune, slicks, track brake pads, safety wired, track plastics, etc.) on CL for $5K or less. The 675 is great but replacement parts can be tricky to find at reasonable prices. Parts for R6s are cheap and plentiful.

If you want to set yourself apart from the other track addicts and don't care about the above, buy a D675. The 675R is extremely well-equipped, but if you're not already an established track rider the bits that set it apart from the standard D675 will likely go unnoticed.

#11 · (Edited)
..... The 675 is great but replacement parts can be tricky to find at reasonable prices. Parts for (edit Japanese bikes) are cheap and plentiful....
Literally thousands of ebay listings, Craigslist's ads, internet retailers, trackside vendors, fellow racer support, dealer network and just local ownership saturation bear this out as a simple supply vs demand exercise in logistics. Triumph (and all other euro brands) are a niche, or boutique item compared to the Japanese offerings. Cost of parts or service really isn't that much different, but acquisition of parts or repair in a timely matter is very heavily tilted in the Japanese brand's favor.

If I'm going to invest a weekend and several hundred dollars to be on that track - it's only prudent to stack the odds in your favor of running a machine that can be ready to go as soon as possible.

#12 ·
As mentioned a R6 is hard to beat in just about every facet as a track bike.. tons of parts availability, sold in large numbers with many others tracking the same machine. A pretty reliable machine also capable of being modded to put down some big HP.. If i was going to have a TRACK ONLY supersport this would be it..

So is this bike going to be seeing street duty also?

But you mentioned some bikes that are not exactly track only.. So if we start talking doing double duty, and ONLY one bike then I would say pic up a 2011+ zx-10r, if you can stand the looks & are limited to a price point..
If you are looking at new, get the new 10R with an extended warranty.. once again if you can stomach the looks.

#19 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. Even though it's for track use I'm too shallow to buy I bike I didn't like the look of. LOL That's why I bought the Daytona.

The engine on my 2006 went a month back. It was the backlash gear on the end of the balancer shaft. All bar one of the teeth ripped off, which in turn damaged the primary drive on the end of the crank shaft. A new crank shaft is £920/$1,400! May convert my Daytona Street (pic below) back to a Daytona or may source a 2005/2006 Honda CBR600RR instead.

Just wanted to know if folks thought the Daytona's were too fragile or not.

#20 ·
Just wanted to know if folks thought the Daytona's were too fragile or not.
I was a little nervous at the beginning of this race reason, having similar concerns whether these bikes were reliable.

After 9 racing rounds this season, and multiple test/track days, I have 100% confidence in the bike. The new gen seems to be very reliable, my only issues being the countershaft seal and shift plate, which is a known problem on the 13s.

From my personal experience, these new gen bikes seem very solid. I race with two other '13 675s, and after several crashes, they are still running perfect, other than a little worse for wear.

#22 ·
Even then, there's not a ton of failures in first gens. More common, yes. But not a given.

Japanese bikes are the cheapest to run. Parts are available trackside and used parts are stupid cheap. Personally, I don't like how wide the Japanese bikes are. Can't get comfortable on them. The Daytona suits me more so that's what I run.

#25 ·
It isn't sprung for a particular weight, as the stock setup uses progressive springs. These provide a benefit for heavier riders (I would guess over 180lbs), but will never be as good for any specific person as if it were running static springs with rates to match the rider's weight.

The bike received a facelift in 2009 which brought about 50 pretty significant changes (if I recall correctly). The bike had a full refresh in 2013. The 13+ standard bike has better suspension and a better frame design than the previous D675, while the 675R still has the Ohlins suspension but also benefits from the new frame.

#27 ·
Previous to my '13 D675R I had a '99 R6 (1st year built) for 13 years. Countless track days and street ridding, lots of CF crazy cheap on eBay and I can honestly say other than consumables I NEVER had a single issue or repair, not one loose bolt, oil leak or recall. I miss the reliability and confidence it inspired, pre cell phones this was a nice feature. That was one bullet proof motor that spent a lot of life (23,000 mi.) bouncing off the 15,500 rev limiter! Traded it for the Daytona and don't have regrets, but it has not been ideal for me. Just got a '14 S1000R and also have no regrets, selling the Daytona tomorrow. If the S1kR does not fill the need also on the track I will get a R6 track mule and call it a day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.