Triumph 675 Forums banner

Headlight switch to turn off low beam??

14K views 71 replies 20 participants last post by  SvperXero 675 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone ever put in a switch to cut off their low beam?? I am also wondering if I could wire the low beam to the high beam switch and have them both come on at the same time?

I want to be able to turn the light off (and No, not while I'm driving on the street, for all the goody goodies).

I heard I could install a switch to the ground of the low beam and be able to accomplish this.

#2 ·
#8 ·
Oh come on you're turning off the wrong one. You're suppose to shut off the tail light when you're running from the cops. Not the headlight.:whistle:
Apparently this mod does not work when your bike glows in the dark.....starting to hate that mod :laugh:

I wired both my headlights to turn on/off with the high beam switch. however, i converted both my projectors to low beam projectors, so no more high beam for me
Doing this tonight, I've never used my high beam anyway

#6 ·
LOL!!!

#10 ·
You have to show me how to do this one

#11 ·
ha if you just get another headlight, you can swap the low beam projector over with, i believe, zero modification. only difference is now you will need 2 H7 bulbs instead of H7/H9. i have HIDs, so i just bought new bulbs

i also used my stock projectors left over from my WRX -> TSX retrofit. bit better light output and cutoff.

#21 ·
ha if you just get another headlight, you can swap the low beam projector over with, i believe, zero modification. only difference is now you will need 2 H7 bulbs instead of H7/H9. i have HIDs, so i just bought new bulbs

i also used my stock projectors left over from my WRX -> TSX retrofit. bit better light output and cutoff.
Is it really that easy?

#12 ·
Has anyone ever put in a switch to cut off their low beam?? I am also wondering if I could wire the low beam to the high beam switch and have them both come on at the same time?
When you switch to high beam both lights already come on. :whistle:

#17 ·
Any one have the pics to show how they wired the low beam to the high beam switch?
I am good with wiring, I just don"t want to screw up and cut the wrong wire.
I am looking for a wiring diagram on the internet too, but it is hard to find. If I get some pics, I won't need the diagram. Thanks.

#18 · (Edited)
Since I have the twinlight driver, all I am going to do is run a switch inline with the orange wire from the twinlight before the box and run the up to either the handle bars or the infill panels. BTW, I have a waterproof 30A switch coming in. I am thinking about putting a fuse in line just in case.

Or not...

#22 ·
I wired my halos to the low beam and both HID's to the high beam without incident. Ive had it like that for about 2 years now. No complaints whatsoever. On my way to work I passed a co-worker and fellow rider with only my halos on. He said he could see me quite a ways back with only the halos. I had a post here somewhere that showed how I wired everything. It was pretty pic intensive. Ill post the link if I can find it.

#24 ·
Left hand switch!
Not right… must be the madness taking over….
I keep an eye on EBay but no luck, might lean on my local dealer and see if the earlier speed triples or speed 4’s came with the option.
Or I’ll strip the standard one apart and see if I can get creative with the space inside.

#27 ·
Short answer...yes.

I installed one of Tony's first generation kits quite a while ago. A simple toggle switch wired into the ground side of both low and high beam allows me to shut both on or off anytime - as long as the ignition is on.

Both switches were incorporated into an old plastic 35mm film canister, completely waterproof when the cap is snapped on, and mounted for easy reach with the thumb. The forward switch controls the headlights...

and the rearward controls running lights built into the rear turnsignals.

The switches were installed into a plastic Rx pill container...

and slipped into the black film canister.

I've got more photos but never bothered to post them.

#28 · (Edited)
For the time being, until I can figure out a switch setup (what kind, where it should go, etc) I just unscrewed the black plastic cup so I can unplug the low beam if I need to. Like if the stator or regulator fails (again) I want to be able to conserve as much power as possible.

I just did the FH008 rectifier mod, but I still don't trust the charging system.

According to the florida law: "Any person who operates a motorcycle on the public streets shall, while so engaged, have the headlight or headlights of the motorcycle turned on."

Bummer. I didn't think you had to have a headlight on during the day. Ill be more mindful of that from now on so I don't get harassed.

#29 ·
Here is my new and improved idea. I am going to wire the low beam to the OEM high beam switch. then rewire the high beam to function only with the flash to pass trigger. I want it to look as clean as possible. I will start on this this weekend.

#31 ·
I do not ever use my high beam. For me, it is not a problem. I would just rather have it then not. That is why I am not doing away with that function.
I guess the internals of the pass trigger could be changed to mimic a click on clock off type function. Sort of like a click pen.

#32 · (Edited)
I guess the internals of the pass trigger could be changed to mimic a click on clock off type function. Sort of like a click pen.
This was my initial idea. However, I was going to drill a hole behind the flash lever, and try to mount a push on/off switch inside the black casing, with the push part sticking out so the flash lever would push it.

something like this:

http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/images/switches/latching_pb.jpg

#34 ·
With a little modification, I think that may fit inside the housing. Relative to what I have see, there isn't mush in the housing. Especially if we remove the metal "bracket" that holds the wires separate from the switch.

#36 ·
True and I was looking at that. It seems VERY doable

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.