Triumph 675 Forums banner

09 Street Triple Spluttering and stalling with throttle input

5K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Pete Kohut 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all, been an issue that I believe hasn't changed but finally culminated in the bike staying put. Have tried to find a thread with similar issues but no luck, however if someone can point me in the right direction that would be hugely appreciated.

Symptoms have been the following,
- Turn the switch the key on and there would be no power, this would happen intermittently.
- Bike starts up and idles fine, however any throttle input will cause the engine to stutter, the more throttle, the faster she stutters and stalls. A couple of times the bike has started and revved fine for a short period.

Have replaced battery, checked most terminals and connections. However have been advised that it could be the ignition barrel switch. It makes sense but I dont get why this would cause the bike to stutter with any throttle input.

ANY IDEAS?!?

#3 ·
Check voltages with a multimeter. Get on tune ECU and check TPS sensor. Check for range of motion on your triples and electrical shorts.

That's a photo of the underside of my ignition on a Daytona 600. Constantly going over the intake broke a wires solder. When at full lock left it would be fine, and break connection straightening bars. I had to resolder it in to fix.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I have had diagnostics run over the bike, no error codes or faults registered. Will look into TPS and have ordered a cable! ...now the waiting game starts haha. From previous experience a poorly set TPS gives a bad idle also? Or is the triumph TPS different?
Cheers for the help!

#6 ·
I have an 09 with 41k. the barrel switch could be the culprit - it's packed with some grease. Good to pop it apart, clean it and make sure none of the contacts have burnt, repack it.

Another common failure is the main ignition connector... basically the guy that comes from the ignition barrel and goes under the airbox on the left side, where it plugs into the main harness. 8 pin connector, grey... yeah that burns out sometimes randomly, happened a lot on the speed triples, it doesn't have enough strain relief and the terminal will short. Pics attached in case you don't know.

Get a wiring diagram and test all those connections on both sides.

It could be a simple as the TPS being out of whack but that doesn't explain the spontaneous no-power/no-start.

EDIT: whoops ignore that last pic... I attached the wrong one and can't remove it now :S

Attachments

#7 ·
TuneEcu progress

Alright after waiting for a long time for shipping and endless issues finding a computer that the drivers for the tuneecu cable to work with, I have some progress.

Loaded on a new map (arrow high twin pipes) and loaded that on. Went through and adapted the TPS and did the 12min calibration. Unsure if that went perfectly but the bike now is running ALOT better. Apart from hesitating below 3000RPM, she runs like an absolute gem again.

Looking to balance the throttle bodies soon, however any tips on calibrating the TPS without using TuneEcu? Any idea if the MAP or CPS sensor could give these symptoms?

On a side note cables look fine, thanks for the advice. Will keep an eye out for that. However haven't had a chance to check the ignition barrel as dont personally own a 36mm socket or spanner (cant even find in automotive shops!). Will take it apart and check when I get hold of one.

#8 ·
TPS Voltage

I also noticed that the closed throttle TPS voltage on TuneEcu is out of spec from the servicing manual. The manual states this should be 0.6v (+/-) 0.02v. The reading TuneEcu is giving me is 0.68v. Could this be causing my hesitation at low RPM or whilst getting onto the throttle? If so, how do I adjust the position of the TPS when I cant access is (Its behind the frame)??????

#10 ·
I also noticed that the closed throttle TPS voltage on TuneEcu is out of spec from the servicing manual. The manual states this should be 0.6v (+/-) 0.02v. The reading TuneEcu is giving me is 0.68v. Could this be causing my hesitation at low RPM or whilst getting onto the throttle? If so, how do I adjust the position of the TPS when I cant access is (Its behind the frame)??????
TuneECU reads 6.6 Volts on my bike under closed throttle, and as I've read elsewhere this is normal. The proof is that it's running nicely.

"Closed throttle" in the manual means the throttles in the throttle bodies being completely closed - in contrast, when you are riding with "closed throttle" the actual throttles are still a little bit open to allow for idle to operate - the engine still has to get a bit of air inside.

Try to get this reading to 6.6 Volts - my bike works nicely at that reading.

#9 ·
Stator and "interesting wiring"

Pulled off stator cover and stator looked a little burnt out. Will try test shortly. HOWEVER before doing that I found that the previous owner had replaced the plug with these connectors (as seen in photos). Two of which are burnt out and one has melted a small hole presenting a short. Will cut these out and replace with something bigger to see if it is part of the problem. Any suggestions or had any similar issues?

Links to both the pics here as couldnt upload them

#11 ·
Finally a fix

After much tinkering around, I found two of the terminals between the stator and R/R to be charred! One was fine. Looked over the stator and found one of the coils to be shot. Replaced R/R and stator with a Ricks unit. New wiring, fuse and connectors installed as per the great DeCosse threads.

STOKED. Now going to install a voltage indicator so that I can keep an eye on the issue for future reference. Learned a hell of alot through this, thank god for forums and the people that contribute to them. 0:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.