Triumph 675 Forums banner

NCM April 30th & May 1st

7K views 51 replies 7 participants last post by  Shamrock 
#1 ·
Anyone heading to the Midwest Track Day season opener at NCM? This is one of my favorite tracks! I'll be road tripping down with a buddy Zaph on here. I know Jeff is hosting a potluck dinner in the garages Saturday night. Bring a dish to pass and join in on the food and fun.
I'll be floating between A and I groups. My number is #113, white and black Daytona w/ green and red stripes on the side. Shirt says "Schwags". Stop and say hello. I can't wait to get back to this track!!

#2 ·
SHWAGS!!!
I will be there and so will a few other members.
Really looking forward to it!!
Pergrem and I will be pitted together and you are welcome to join.!
Will be in I both days, so maybe I can follow you out a few times ( will be my first time at NCM, so gotta learn a new track!!)

#3 · (Edited)
Get ready for fast straights ( I get upto 152 on main straight), and smoothe turns, except 1. Turn 10, the busstop. It's about a 40mph turn. Then 2 turns later, one called Deception. Its a fast right, but you can't see the road until you are well over the crest. Easy to learn, though.

And my video.

#4 ·
Yup I will be there. Just doing Saturday however. Afterward I'll start doing full weekends.

---------------------------------

2014 Triumph Daytona 675R 2/22/14 - 8/22/15

2016 Aprilia RSV4 RR 8/29/15 - ???

2006 Honda CBR 600RR Track Only 1/02/16 - ???

#6 ·
I'll be there riding on my 300 and trying not to be roadkill. I need seat time on it since I'm racing it this year, otherwise I'd be on my 675R.

Closing speeds are an issue on this track, so I will be sticking close to the edges on the straights, and I will meet up with a couple CR's to discuss my safest line through sweepers.

Hey, how come some track maps have a carousel style turn 20 with turns 21-23 before the front straight? Do those not exist yet or the track typically runs without them?

#8 · (Edited)
Other tracks, I'd say yes to a 300 (even Barber), but this track is super fast. It's more akin to Road America. You'll probably be roadkill even in the turns.

Only turns 1, 6, 10, and 12 are under 60 mph.

As for the carousel, cars use grand full course (with the 23 turns), bikes use the grand course (my map). It has like 5 different layouts total. Including they can split the track into 2 smaller ones (about 1.5 miles). Here are all the courses available.

http://www.motorsportspark.org/facility/track-map/

#9 ·
Yeah, I was in advanced with it then I switched down to intermediate. But I'm still a little concerned about running a 300. Road America is no problem, I would just stay to the side on the straights. It's the sweepers at NCM that concern me. But it looks like there's also a couple of other smaller bikes running also.

#12 ·
Yes, but you are Knolly

Hahaha
I want to track a 250/300 so bad!
I'd like to hit up a 1000 just to appreciate the power, but I don't think I will have another track bike... At least not for a long time.!

Can't wait for this weekend.
Hoping to have my track work complete and everything ready by then!!!

Does anyone know the suspension group that will be out there? ( if any)
Will need to set up sag on a new rear shock if I can't before then..

#13 ·
Yes, but you are Knolly
That doesn't say much. I got an H2 just so I could keep up with my friend on his RC390 :biggrinjester:

250s are a hoot on the track! I'm going to hang on to mine to bring to the track with the H2. Sadly that means the Street Triple will be going away soon...

Have a blast this weekend! I'm hoping to get back on the track next month.

#14 ·
Thanks for the comments Knolly. One of the guys at WiRiders.com is trolling for an ultralight, and yours came up for sale. I recognized your name and said it's a trustworthy dude.

There sure is a resurgence of smaller bikes it seems. I think the CCS ultralight grids are going to be large this year.

#17 · (Edited)
Thanks, I appreciate it! I'm still deciding whether to get rid of the 250 or the Striple, but considering how cheap it is to run a 250 and how much fun it is to push it to the limit and not care if I throw it across the track (unlike my other bikes), it's really hard. Little track bikes really are the best!

#18 ·
thanks for the info
guess i need to figure it out before then!

anyone going be able to help me do some measurements track side by chance?
if i get the parts installed in time i will definitely set it up... i really want to run the new shock on the track and see the performance.

also.. does anyone have a safety wire tool/ wire that i could use track side? do it friday afternoon or evening before inspections sat?
if not i will take it in to the dealer ( or see about getting the tools)
with STT in intermediate you just have to use a dab of rtv or whatever

#20 ·
Wa wa wee wa!
Nice ninja!!!!
Very very clean!!

Thank you for all of the insight and assistance. This forum has really done so much for me. Pergrem really helped me out in getting my clutch sorted and JD has been a constant source of advice and parts. Haha
And harcourt has been.... Well....
Hahahahahahah

Cheers everyone.

#21 ·
Well. looks like thunderstorms later saturday and all day sunday. This time of year fronts move through a little faster, so it will probably end up being an entire weekend of thunderstorms.

Does MTD refund if the track will not open/ shuts down due to lightning, or just credit to future weekends?
I wouldnt care too much to do a rain weekend, not super excited for it, but wont ride in lightning

would be a bummer to not ride all weekend
: (

#22 ·
Damn, I hope for at least one good day, It's a 9 hour drive for us. I don't have rain tires, and in general hate riding in the rain.

I've never seen a track day org refund money for any reason. If there are a couple cracks of lightning, they would only end that session until it stops. Tornado warnings, they might end the track day.

#23 ·
More than likely it would have to be strong winds and a lot of lighting. You would have to talk to Jeff on how that would go with refunds/credits.

FYI, they should have rains for sell at the track. I'm getting a set put on a spare set of wheels there Saturday morning. Looks like it will get to try them out and try out the rain suit I bought last week.

#24 ·
Spoke win Jeff and he said if it's cancelled it will count as credit for another event in the year.

I doubt it will be. Just hoping for the best, planning for the worst.
I'm going to be real slow this weekend haha
Or wreck out.... One or the other. Maybe both

We will have fun no matter what!
Kinda makes me want to get a garage to sleep in. I always sleep in the bed of the truck.
Anyone ever look into garage cost as NcM

#25 ·
Friends I'm going with actually rented a garage due to the weather forecast. We are splitting between the 3 of us. $25 each person. Cost is $75 a day for a 17x24

http://www.motorsportspark.org/facility/garages-2/

#27 ·
Me and Schwags rented a garage too. Probably have room for one more bike in there if anyone wants to split the cost 1/3 of $75/day.

Other notes: the garages all have power and air. But the girl I talked to said no camping/sleeping in the garages was allowed due to building code or something.

Garages rented for Saturday and Sunday will will available to use after 6pm Friday. We'll probably arrive right around that time.

I'm bringing a stereo system and will fly my blue Triumph flag even though I'm on a ninja 300 for the weekend.

#30 ·
Quick question

anyone know where I can get stickers/ number plate for the bike and helmet?
6" tall is what it calls for... said they would be available track side for 60$

seems rather pricey to me... or is that just how much they run for?
I plan on checking cycle gear tomorrow, but if someone has a good resource, please let me know

Thanks!

and I should have my body work good to go before the weekend.
i hope i don't ruin it first weekend out. has taken a few hours to paint

#31 ·
A local motocross shop is likely to have a stock of vinyl numbers. And if you want a nice background for it, a local Home Depot or Lowes will have white or yellow Contact brand shelving paper for super cheap. Or hell just get that stuff, trace some numbers on there and cut it out with a scissors. Or go ghetto and make numbers out of blue painters tape. Lol, lots of options.

#32 ·
Blue painters tape is what my friends are using on their street bikes. Same with helmets.

I picked up 2" numbers for my helmet at lowes and for the bike numbers I used 6" numbers I bought from Riders Discount.

#33 ·
Who knows how they do sound testing?
I have no idea how loud the arrow slip on is w/o baffle. Sounds really loud to me, and I'd hate to get sound disqualify.
Do they test at 50' with you riding by, or a constant rpm, or just the idle?
So many things STT doesn't do lol

#34 ·
Wow I didn't know that NCM had a decibel limit. The Yosh system on my 300 should be ok, but I would worry about the Comp Weekes on my 675 if I were bringing that.

I've only ever heard of Laguna Seca having noise concerns.

For the potluck dinner I'm bringing Wisconsin cheese and sausage. Because, damn it, we know cheese and sausage. :D

#35 ·
IIRC it's 103 dB at 50 feet. I think they check in the straight?

Shamrock says it's pretty forgiving. I have a full yoshimura exhaust on the CBR. Going to run without the dB killer. If I have issues, I'll put it back in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.