Triumph 675 Forums banner

Quick stator output question

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  luciano136 
#1 ·
Given a dead battery, does the stator produce enough voltage at idle to keep everything powered?

Background:
I came out of work to find my battery dead. Not a huge surprise since the bike started cranking over slower lately and the battery is 3.5y old with 24k mi on it. I keep a battery pack at work for emergencies like this and jump started the bike. All was nice and bright (including my HIDs). I got on the fwy for 20-ish min and everything kept running well; when I got off the fwy and the rpm returned to idle, the dash was flickering a bit and my HIDs went out. Everything else (dash, parking lights, blinkers, etc.) stayed on for the remaining 10min of stop-and-go surface street riding (except for the dash being a bit dimmer at idle). So, long story short, pretty sure it is just the battery that is dead and I'm guessing the stator's output is too weak at idle to keep everything running without assistance from the battery? Just had a hard time finding out if that theory is correct?

When my stator failed back in the day, rpm didn't matter. The bike just starting shutting down at full speed on the fwy. Lights turned off first, then the dash got really dim and eventually the fuel light came on. That was a fun experience at 8pm on a winter night LOL After that, I overhauled the whole electrical system with better wiring, new stator and aftermarket R/R.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.