Triumph 675 Forums banner

Has your tank expanded

2K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  toddsbrick 
#1 ·
Have any of you had any problems with your tank fitment lately? Do the bolts holes not quite line up?
The reason i ask is because a number of other manufacturers are starting to suffer this problem and the main suspect is ethanol added to the fuel in the UK. I am not sure about any other country as of yet. I am asking on various forums as some people might not be aware and just accept that it 'does not line up like it used to'.

In some cases this has got so bad that leaks have appeared around the pump seals due to deformation of the tank which is a serious issue.

I would just ask any of you to say if there is a problem in this thread please as i am trying to find out if it is the additve that is the common factor in all makes and models.

Thanks all

#2 ·
This has an impact on the plastic gas tanks... never heard of any bulging/expansion issues with a metal tank..

#7 ·
Hmm I have not heard anyone having this issue with our bikes, but maybe no one is really looking for it or worried about it. It makes me want to look at my bike when I get home haha, but this summer I had the tank off and the holes lined up perfectly for me when placing it back on.

#8 ·
Interesting. Well my two 07's have had their fuel pumps removed and reinstalled several times with no issues. The tank mount bolts themselves have always lined up as well.

*knocks on wood*

#10 ·
Not sure why this is posted on the 675 forum.
It's interesting to know, expands ones knowledge base and means you might be able to help a mate who hasn't had the common sense to buy a Triumph!

#12 ·
was wondering why this was brought up on the site?....

If you own a ride with a plastic tank it is indeed just a matter or when you will have an issue.. Ethanol is not even remotely good for the plastic tanks.
Thankfully my 1098 has not had an issue,but i make sure no ethanol fuel goes into the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.