Triumph 675 Forums banner

'07 Daytona 675 : severe hiccups when engine is 'warm'

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  MacBandit 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm owning a 07 daytona 675 but haven't had much luck with it (I will not go into detail here...). Due to the most recent problem, I haven't ride the bike this year (is intented as track bike, but have a k1300s for the streets, so not a real drama), but now it's winter, I woud like to find a solution : the simptoms are rather simpel : when the bike is cold and for the first 5 à 10 minutes, everything is really fine. Afer the engine is warmed up a bit , I can rev it full trottle like there is nothing wrong, but, once the engine is fully warmed up, mostly after 10 minutes, I get very severe hiccups / ignitions cutoff's even with moderate trottle. The more the engine warms up, the more severe the fenomenon. If I let the bike cool down for 30' for example, It seems OK, until fully warmed up again, with the same problems as a result. No warning lights on the dash, nothing. Have to say, I have a HM QS installed, but after install, I was able to run 5 full session of 20' without problems, and halfway the 6th session, the problems suddenly began. Until today.

A race mechanic tried to find the solution, but the only thing he could say, is that I must have some wiring loom error (that he couldn't locate...) Any of you an idee of what's occuring? I was tempted to remove the QS, but before that, as I have to remove the gas tank and so on, I prefer to ask if someone here has other idees?

Thx in advance guys!

See less See more
#2 ·
Assuming it's all up to date on valves and such, if the only thing you've changed is the QS, I'd start there.

#4 ·
Agreed. QS can cause a lot of problems. Check the thing you most recently changed. I'd start by disconnecting it and see how it runs without the QS.

Another thought. Is the bike running rich when it's miss firing? Does it cough and splutter when trying to rev? If so it could be the ambient air temperature sensor in the airbox or the engine temperature sensor on the back of the block that has failed. Had both these issues on mine and it fooled the ECU into thinking the engine was cold and hence would chuck more fuel at it making it run rough until over about 8,000rpm. There is a test listed for these parts in the workshop manual.

#5 ·
Thx for those first feeback!! The bike is running fine, even when warm. I will first try to disconnect the QS, but the coils mentionned here were also on my mind as possible issue. Is there a way to check if they are fine once dismounted, or is the only solution to change them and see if the problem is gone (if de QS is not the culpritt). I'll come back with an update once the QS is not on the bike anymore ;-)

#6 ·
To look for a bad coil pull the spark plugs and check to see if any of the plugs are darker than the others. Alternatively you can hold the revs up where it sounds like it's misfiring and check the headers with a temp gun. Make sure you get in close in the same spot on each header. As close to the head as possible. If one is colder than the other than you have a problem. Either compression, spark, or fuel. Rule out the work plug by replacing it. Check compression to rule that out. If the new plug looks bare after running with no brown on the ceramic then you have a fuel issue. If the plug is wet then you have a coil problem.

If all the spark plugs and all the headers are equal then you have another problem to chase. We can go there once you've checked these first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.