Triumph 675 Forums banner

Quick review: de-cat headers by TRMN8TR

58K views 152 replies 52 participants last post by  DimJimi 
#1 · (Edited)
Quick review: de-cat headers by TRMN8TR (updated w/ dyno charts)

Hey guys,

I recently arranged for a set of de-cat headers from TRMN8TR here on the board and wanted to post a quick review. Overall this project went really smoothly and the result is awesome.

Process:
Bought a stock set of headers from another forum member. Had them shipped straight to TRMN8TR. He sourced the parts for the job from Cone. He did the cuts and welds. Received the finished product within a week or two.

Quality:
He TIG welded the vane, merge and straight pipe. The welds look nice and clean.

Install:
During the welding process, he test fit the new setup on a street triple to verify fit. This must have been a massive pain in the ass for him, because his is an 09, so he had to swap on an old daytona subframe to test my 06 headers. I'm really grateful he did though - I pulled off my old headers, and the new one lines up perfectly. What more can you ask for? Install was very straightforward if you're used to wrenching on the bike.

End result:
Bike sounds mean. I have an arrow slip on, and even with the baffle in there is a significant change. Loaded up the full arrow map for now, and can't wait to get a proper tune.

** UPDATE 1/15 **
Dyno results.
Finally arranged for some dyno time. Before this I was running one of the full aftermarket exhaust tunes available on the forum here (can't remember which). Looking at the "before" chart, this off-the-shelf tune wasn't bad.

But looking at the "after" chart, the custom tune gives a really smooth output all the way through the rev range, and fattened the top end of the curve considerably (+4bhp between 11k and 12.5k). Not a big difference in peak power (+1bhp), but this broader spread up top should be useful on the track. Can't wait to try it out in the spring. Very happy with the results of this project (pipe and tune). Cheers.

Now for the pics:

See less See more
#83 ·
I've actually had a bit of time to work on a jig, almost done with it. I'm ordering another set of like 10 merge collectors and I need to see if they can make me a 2" to 1.75" reducer, that's the only part I haven't figured out. On the 06-12 style it's already got a "built in" reducer from the 2.5" cat down to the 1.75" so I just measure it to 2" and cut there. The cat on the 13+ is totally different and won't work that way.

Either way, I think I can have one done soon-ish. I'm traveling for work this week, then racing this weekend, then travelling again for work, then going to Indy for Moto-GP. So....I've got a busy schedule the next couple weeks lol.

#79 ·
It took a while, but I got mine from him a few weeks ago. Still have to ship him back my stock headers. I know he was very busy, and I think had to get a new welder at one point.

Next step for me is SAI delete and finally get a custom tune.

Note that the new headers don't come with an O2 bung, so you will have to shut it off. It takes a few cycles before the light finally shut off, so don't worry if it doesn't go off right away.

#93 ·
Alright guys, the craziness that is my life is starting to return back to normal.

Race Season = Over :crying: Was hoping to make the WERA GNF, but engine troubles aren't going to allow it. Just don't have the $$ to get a new engine right now.

The headache that is planning a wedding and getting married = Over :laugh2:

Back from my honeymoon and taking this weekend to relax, but Monday will be back to the grind. I'm currently out of merge collectors and I'll be putting in an order on monday for 5-6 more so I can get back to welding. Thanks for being patient with me, I'm just a guy doing this on the side and working 50+ hours a week on top of it.

P.S. to all the single guys out there. If some day you're getting married and your family (or hers) offer you the opportunity to have a wedding or take some money and elope, take the money and run!

#97 ·
P.S. to all the single guys out there. If some day you're getting married and your family (or hers) offer you the opportunity to have a wedding or take some money and elope, take the money and run!
First mistake right there my friend.. >:)

So you going to do the 13+ headers anytime soon?

Reactions: Avanti
#95 ·
Congrats on all the life changing events man! Before you know it, years will pass and you won't know where the time has gone. 12 years married and still feels like honeymoon! I fortunately didn't plan a wedding but that vow renewal is just the same!

#102 ·
I never posted in this. Had him do mine about a year ago. Really opens the bike up a LOT. The sound it makes is ferocious. Sounds even more insane than they already do....lol

Quality work, solid welds and most importantly it bolts RIGHT UP. Nothing was warped or had to finagle anything into place. Definitely recommend! It was rather quick turn around time as well from when I shipped them to him to when I got them back.

-Nigel

#107 ·
Just an update for those who were wanting the 13+. I got a jig made, these are a little trickier to do than the 06-12 because of the bends, but I got the first one done and it is going out shortly to be test fit on a bike to make sure it fits. Once he gives me the ok that it went on without any issues, I'll be able to make them for whoever is still looking.

Here's a little teaser of the first one. I'm pretty happy with it, took some patience to get all the cuts right.

#111 ·
It's 2" all the way till the end then decreases to 1.75, which is the stock header diameter where it meets the muffler. This way it'll fit oem and any slip on designed to fit the oem header.

If anyone wants it 2" all the way I can do that. I know some companies like comp werkes will make you a slip-on that will go on a 2" header pipe, but you'd have to call and custom order it.

#110 ·
I would also like to add that the fact it took you this long to get the cuts right is a testament to you ensuring a great product goes out! Thank you! Can't wait to get mine ordered!

#115 ·
Yup, it appears like everything went smoothly and lined up as expected, with one small exception. Seems like the end of the header got dented and a little flat spot put in it, probably during shipping. If he can't get it rounded back out I'll have to weld on a new piece of pipe at the end.

Never had anything like that happen before, but the pipe at the end of the header is very thin on these. 18 gauge vs. 16 gauge on the 06-12 headers. Guess I'll have to do a better job packing up the end for shipping.

But otherwise I think I'm good to go for making the new style.

I have a post in the classified section with all the details.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.