Triumph 675 Forums banner

WTB: Daytona 675 Fork or Fork Slider 06-08

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  baz11 
#1 ·
Looking for a straight chrome fork slider for a daytona 675. i primarily just need the chrome slider, but would be interested in the full fork also.

thanks!

#2 ·
D675 forks

I have a set of forks that require seals, if you want them I will sell them for $350. Send me your email if you are interested and I will send you pics.

#4 ·
A word of advice, buy the stanchion with the casting. Replacing just the chrome stanchion is a pain in the arse.

#7 ·
The hard part in this is to separate the stanchion from the casting and there is a risk of destroying the threads in the casting if the setscrew has not been properly removed. If you have already successfully removed the stanchion from the casting you are like 90% done - next is simply to clean up the threads and o-ring and fit the new stanchion.

I do think it is a very good idea to get a complete set of fully working forks, though...

#9 ·
well, i took the bent tube off the casting. So i would still need to remove a 'straight' tube from its casting and put said tube into the 06-08 casting. I used a heat gun, drilled all the way through the grub screw and through the fork slider tube, and then made sure to go very slowly (and backtracking on the threads to 'clean them out') while unscrewing and maintaining heat in the threads... all in all it took ~30 minutes doing it methodically. I can see how it can go wrong.

Thanks for the words of caution though, i'll keep that in mind with choosing whether to just buy a new fork or replace just the slider with a used or TNK one from race tech.

#10 ·
The problem area is the threads on the stanchion that get damaged by the set screw. The damaged, steel stanchion threads then destroy the aluminum casting threads as you try screwing the two apart from each other. Drilling through the stanchion (with a sharp/good drill bit) will prevent most of the damage. However, you now have a hole in the stanchion that can lead to leaks if you don't seal the new set screw properly. If you can wait, spend the time looking for a stanchion with the casting. If desperate, by all means.

#11 ·
bump - still looking.

I did buy the fork lower... and as i was installing it in the old stanchion tonight, i realized the chrome slider for 09 is not the same length as 06-08 (grrrr)... 09 is longer.

therefore i'm looking for a full fork, the side with the axle screw :)

#12 ·
According to my notes there is a 22mm upper bushing overlap, so you could try to investigate to shorten the stanchion by the offending 10mm between 06-08 and 09. This possible due to the fixed upper bushing in the forks.

You need to verify that the bushing overlap is there and check that the threads are the same between the 06-08 and 09, then have the stanchion turned down.

Or just get another fork...

#13 ·
Yeah, as riding season is getting closer and closer, I want to have the bike ready to go, so tinker time is over. I'm just going to look for a complete fork. Unfortunately there aren't a lot readily available on eBay so I may have to wait a week or two.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.