Triumph 675 Forums banner

Oil Pressure light and bike wont start

7K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  su37su 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I ecently changed the oil on my 2014 675 with Castrol 06112 Power1 10W-40 Synthetic 4T Motorcycle Oil(3.7 lit) and the bike was running fine for the next few days, then it started to act up on a cold early morning start. I ws able start the bike just fine but it died after a few seconds and couldn't get it to start again, I mean the bike wouln't make a sound when I hit the start switch. After a few hours I was able to start the bike again and no warning lights of any sort followed. A few days of riding again and it did the same thing this morning.

Any idea what's causing this?
to much oil?
not enough oil?
Bad battery?

thanks.

#2 ·
Some more information would be helpful:

Do you have a lithium battery?
- If so, you've got to let the battery warm up a bit when it's cold outside before it will start. Check out this video:

Did you fill up the night before?
- My gas tank vapor locks if I fill up when the bike's hot and then park it overnight. More so if it's chilly outside. I just open the gas cap when I start up and it solves the problem. Of course I have an aftermarket gas cap, sooo....

It's a good sign that it starts. Sorry that it dies right away, but on the plus side, you probably didn't do anything wrong by just changing the oil. Check that level though...too much or too little isn't ideal.

#4 ·
Update:
Battery: OEM(haven't changed battery since I bought the bike)
Fuel: last top off was two weeks ago.

As soon as I got home from work I grabbed my keys and I was able to start the bike on first try. The oil pressure light was gone and now have the engine warning light. I let it warm up for 5 min and cut the engine for 3 minutes to check the oil level. To my suprise, the oil level was a bit to high. I drained about .3lit of oil and was able to get the oil right at the max line on the stick.
The engine seems to be running just fine.
Do you guys think to much oil may have caused the early morning stalls?
Or do I need a new battery?

#6 ·
Update:
Battery: OEM(haven't changed battery since I bought the bike)
Fuel: last top off was two weeks ago.

As soon as I got home from work I grabbed my keys and I was able to start the bike on first try. The oil pressure light was gone and now have the engine warning light. I let it warm up for 5 min and cut the engine for 3 minutes to check the oil level. To my suprise, the oil level was a bit to high. I drained about .3lit of oil and was able to get the oil right at the max line on the stick.
The engine seems to be running just fine.
Do you guys think to much oil may have caused the early morning stalls?
Or do I need a new battery?
When the bike dies there is no crank on second try. I could start it up no problem after a few hours.
Oil was checked with the bike standing straight up.
I was able start the bike no problem this morning, I let it run for a few minutes and was fine but the engine light was still on.

#7 ·
When the bike dies there is no crank on second try. I could start it up no problem after a few hours.
Oil was checked with the bike standing straight up.
I was able start the bike no problem this morning, I let it run for a few minutes and was fine but the engine light was still on.

#10 ·
Once you get your problem sorted out, the check engine light may still stay on for three heat cycles of the engine.

At least that's how mine's always behaved: there's a problem, I sort it out, go for three rides, and the CEL goes away. Unless you have a code-checker or clearer like DealerTool, then you can take care of the CEL right away. Do a search for it on this forum. It will be a good investment if you're planning to do more of your own maintenance.

#14 ·
so something similar has happened to my bike recently. I also have recently done an oil change about 400 miles ago. now twice on different occasions the bike has cutoff on me and the red oil light has come on, each time the bike restarts and no light. and then this morning as I was getting ready to leave for work the bike was idling and the light flashed once, stayed running and never came back on. wondering if mine is a sensor problem or if the pickup tube has stuff on it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.