Triumph 675 Forums banner

D675 Starter Draw Testing

984 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  rsparky 
#1 ·
Hey folks--long time lurker here.

I'm hoping that someone can provide some guidance as to the proper way to do a starter-draw test on my D675.

For some time now I've been encountering an issue with my 675, where the bike (after sitting for days or weeks) will have enough power to illuminate the headlights, gauges, etc., but will not be able to turn the motor. Sometimes the motor will crank once or twice but not enough to start the bike.

I've replaced the battery 3 times (or used a jump pack) which makes the bike fire up instantly. That, combined with the fact that bike has never had a "dead" battery (it's never been unable to power the headlights) tells me that the starter may be requiring a heavy draw, but I'd like to confirm before having starter replaced.

Can anyone provide any quick guidance as to what I should be looking for (particularly as it might relate to the D675 in doing such a test?

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
Well if you have the right equipment, you would plug it inline at battery and watch current. If not, just put a multimeter on the terminals and watch voltage. There is a big electrical diagnosing thread with lots of info. Being a lurker, I'm sure you've read... I would still doubt the charging system before the starter though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.