Triumph 675 Forums banner

Review of Dainese Racing D1 jacket

8K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  3isthemagic# 
#1 · (Edited)

I received my Dainese Racing D1 jacket a few weeks ago. My reasoning behind this purchase was that my original classic Leguna Seca just flowed too much air for me (fully perf). This jacket seemed to fit my needs better.
It has integrated shoulder armor (co injected) and sewn in elbow armor.
Overall, I think it's a FANTASTIC jacket. It fits my Euro frame just right (5'10", 150lbs, size 50/40 Euro/US).
Some notes: Alpinestars Bionic Chest protectors fit PERFECTLY in the chest armor pockets (and they are half of what the Dainese chest protectors get). Also my old Air Shield G2 fit perfectly in the back protector compartment. That being said, this armor took up CONSIDERABLE space in the jacket. I'm a true 38" chest and GLAD I opted for the 40" chest size, as the additional armor takes up that extra space (leaving the jacket SNUG with just a T-shirt on).
The fabric panels DO flow air, but not a lot. The "vents" in the chest are kind of joke, as they don't seem to do anything at all when open. Not an issue though, as this jacket DOES breath, although not a ton.
One thing that I had hoped for, and did NOT get, is better zippers. For Christs sake.. please Dainese.... upgrade to some serious zippers already. For a jacket of this cost ($600) it should at LEAST have YKK auto locking zippers. No, with this jacket, you get cheap feeling small zippers with dangly pulls and no locking. IMO there is NO excuse for this. Even Scorpion uses YKK auto locking zippers on their jackets costing hundreds less.
I also purchased the Dainese "union belt" to mate my A* Twin pants (not the "V-twin" pants) to the jacket and that works FANTASTIC (although another $45). FWIW... I LOVE the A* Twin leather pants and they are no longer made. They are a true, traditionally styled, 1.3m leather riding "jean" which are gorgeous on/off the bike.
I ordered my Dainese Racing D1 leather jacket from Ebay (Champion Motorsports) for $399 (AWESOME deal) and it was delivered (from Germany) in about 2 1/2 weeks as advertised (real G1).
Anyway... just thought I'd post my feelings on this jacket. BTW, those are the A* Twin leather pants in the pics. They are, IMO, the best "street" leather pants ever made. They are THICK (1.4MM?) with the ONLY "fabric" part being a stretch/breathable panel for the crotch area. I've been scouring the net and cannot find these pants anymore anywhere.
Also, the boots are Dainese TRQ "out" boots.

See less See more
This post has been deleted
#5 ·
A hoodie doesn't take up much space. I could probably fit one, but it would be really snug. I can (and have) fit a Tourmaster Synergy 2.0 heated jacket liner under this jacket (although it was VERY snug, but worked great).
All I can recommend for this jacket is: if you are AT, or close to, the size change... go UP a size. After you put in a decent (hardshell) back protector and utilize the front chest protector pockets (as I stated, the cheapest good option is A* bionic chest protectors) it looses about a FULL size (internally). I'm a true 38" chest, yet with the armor, a 40" chest jacket (50 EUR) is SNUG (as in, no way I'd get into a 48 EUR after armor).
Make no mistake... this jacket is not a comfortable casual type MC jacket. It is meant to be fully armored, race fit, and is not a fashion statement. But IMHO.... it's the best "bang for the buck" going as far as what you get (provided you USE all the armor pockets).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.