Triumph 675 Forums banner

Street Triple to Tuono? - Can't shake it

26K views 100 replies 29 participants last post by  cjwwd2 
#1 ·
Ok, so I know there are similar threads out there, but I'm not quite ready to start taking pointers from an Aprilia forum.

I've been stalking the Tuono V4 ever since I bought my 2012 ST3. Every time I get serious about switching, I have a nice ride on the ST3 and push the thought aside. I'm currently on a one-bike-budget.

Has anyone here made the switch to / from Tuono? Any advice?

Thanks

#2 ·
I had a v2 Tuono, and still miss 6 years after I sold it. Just this morning I thought about the 2016 Factory version. Practically you don't need a Tuono. It will not make you go faster on public roads, it might even slow you down on very tight stuff. But forget practicality, just look at it, it's is sex on wheels .

#3 ·
Ok, so I know there are similar threads out there, but I'm not quite ready to start taking pointers from an Aprilia forum.

I've been stalking the Tuono V4 ever since I bought my 2012 ST3. Every time I get serious about switching, I have a nice ride on the ST3 and push the thought aside. I'm currently on a one-bike-budget.

Has anyone here made the switch to / from Tuono? Any advice?
Thanks
Is there a dealer near you?
How many miles do you put on your bike a year?
Is this your only transportation?

Personally if you can only have one bike, why not have the one that truly Gets you excited.. The Tuono like the RSV4, have an amazing electronics package, a very strong fun motor, especially for the street. The only thing i could ding Aprilia on is service costs, and reliability compared to Triumph... but a V4 Tuono is something I am considering also for my next bike. need something a bit more relaxed for just tooling around on.

#5 ·
Is there a dealer near you?
How many miles do you put on your bike a year?
Is this your only transportation?

Yes, I live in DFW so there are multiple options for Aprilia dealers. I put about 10-12k on my bike in a year. It's not my only transportation. I ride 15 miles through the city a couple days a week to work, and I do 200 mile weekend twisties with maybe 2 weekend trips per year to Hill country (1000 miles).

The ST3 has been so good for whatever I ask it to do. Super versatile. It's totally customized to my weight and taste. BUT... the Tuono excites me for all the non-practical reasons (Which is what motorcycles are all about, right?). I just imagine if that wears off, or it breaks down, I would be so pissed.

I need both.

#4 ·
The Tuono is leaps and bounds better than the Street triple. I have one as my daily rider and put 15K miles on it this year. Not much more expensive than triumph parts if at all. AF1 is the dealer I order all my stuff through and they also have the best Aprilia forum out there. If you have any questions on one let me know I can help you out.

#6 ·
Get an extended warranty and run the piss out of that bike, being you have dealer suport.

Nice ride G2G, I am thinking a nice low mileage 2013 can be had in the $8xxx rnage..

#20 ·
Get an extended warranty and run the piss out of that bike, being you have dealer suport.

Nice ride G2G, I am thinking a nice low mileage 2013 can be had in the $8xxx rnage..
yeah upper 8's shouldn't be a problem. prices dropped a little when the new ones came out last month. It is one of if not the favorite bike I have owned. I have owned (race and street) about 30 bikes in my time and I do put alot of miles on them and the V4 is the nicest engine out of the bunch. I am a big v-twin guy so inline 4's don't excite me anymore

#8 ·
I damn near bought a Tuono but my closest dealer is too far away so went for a BMW S1000R w/full elec. and DDC. I like the amenities and power of the BMW but prefer the looks of the Touno by far.

#9 ·
I damn near bought a Tuono but my closest dealer is too far away so went for a BMW S1000R w/full elec. and DDC. I like the amenities and power of the BMW but prefer the looks of the Touno by far.
Did they come any other way? :whistle:

#10 ·
G2G... nice garage... REALLY!

All said, are the bars on your Tuono stock? They have done such a great job with this bike in making it look like the RSVR...

Thanks for all of this... now you got my hot button going again. I test rode a V4 when they first came out, but have always been interested in STR... so my 2012 with full exhaust and such is really so fun and you run the piss out of it and it likes it, doesn't get you in too much trouble and is so light and nimble... but... that v4 is always on my mind!!!

#13 ·
Thanks for all of this... now you got my hot button going again. I test rode a V4 when they first came out, but have always been interested in STR... so my 2012 with full exhaust and such is really so fun and you run the piss out of it and it likes it, doesn't get you in too much trouble and is so light and nimble... but... that v4 is always on my mind!!!
Same boat. The STR really does everything so well with "enough" power. If you're dealing with traffic and through the city ... STR. Twistys and back roads ... rather have the V4. Doing both?... ??

Then of course there is price, insurance, reliability, fuel range, MPG (Who really cares), etc...

At the end of the day, the STR suits my needs better. I just don't know why I have to swallow that pill every month when I get Tuono tunnel vision.

#12 ·
I was curious about the same thing, but had the S1000R in the mix as well. After turning my D675R to track only and seeing the RX, I picked up an ST3RX because I didn't want to lose having a triple for street use. Also, after moving down to a 600 after years of riding liter bikes, the power the Tuono V4 and S1000R had over the ST3 didn't bother me.

At first, I wasn't sure whether I made the right decision because of the seating position and it was a slightly tamer than my D675. More seat time and a good rip through the canyons made me realize the ST3 was a great/fun bike all around.

One day, I'd still like to own a Tuono V4 Factory or S1000R, but that won't be for a few years and would more than likely replace my ST3.

I beg to differ. The livery on the Tuono V4 Factory with the aprilia on the sides looks sporty as fvck; looks better even more so than the RSV4 RF. After looking at the Factory and RF, they make other bikes look plain and dull. Of course, looks are subjective from person to person though.

#21 ·
A buddy of mine had one of the new V4s. Motor was awesome, but the bike was not much of a daily rider. Was not practical with low tank range, needing premium fuel, tiny back seat (if you want to call it that) so strapping on any luggage was almost a no-go, motor liked to be revved so it was a bit tiring to ride in daily traffic, suspension was sportbike stiff. Sold it on after about a year on it.

I'd just say if you do it, be prepared for the "relationship that comes with it.

#22 ·
A buddy of mine had one of the new V4s. Motor was awesome, but the bike was not much of a daily rider. Was not practical with low tank range, needing premium fuel, tiny back seat (if you want to call it that) so strapping on any luggage was almost a no-go, motor liked to be revved so it was a bit tiring to ride in daily traffic, suspension was sportbike stiff. Sold it on after about a year on it.

I'd just say if you do it, be prepared for the "relationship that comes with it.
Ahhh... thanks man. This is just the logic I needed to make it through another month.

One more "screw it, just buy one!" post was gonna break me.

#25 ·
There is a new review in Cycleworld for the Tuono RF. There is an issue with fueling especially in low throttle opening which also impacts gear shifting.
For me that is deal breaker,and one of the reason I picked the ST3X.
I don't get it, why Italian exotic usually fails with fueling (Ducati, MV, Aprilia) while BMW and Triumph always get it right.
For my $$$ I want complete product.

#27 ·
LOL a deal breaker? all it take is to have the bike remapped. takes about 5 min. If you decide on what bikes to own because they have fueling issues at low RPM's you might want to reconsider buying half the bikes on the market. Most bikes are chocked up with EPA emissions crap that they do this. Once they are derestricted and remapped you are good to go.

#26 ·
there's already a new map for the tuono out that fixes the low speed throttle issues.

i guess i should say a little since i've had multiple triumphs, '12 tuono v4, '14 rsv4, and work on aprilias. i freaking love triumph triples, but i love v4's more. it's really hard to compare a street to a tuono, they're just on two totally different levels. both are great, but the tuono is a superbike with a mandlebar. the old aprilia v4 was great, but the 1100 motor smoother, faster, and has crazy amounts of low end grunt for not being a twin. riding the old v4 vs. the new is like night and day...and the old one is fantastic. its easy to ride at any speed. sitting in traffic sucks balls a bit since it puts off a good chunk of heat. it does drink a lot of fuel. ...but it'll put a smile on your face every time you ride it. if you go test ride a tuono, i guarantee you won't stop thinking about it. the sound....the sound alone of a v4 at full wail is amazeballs. but i'm a little biased.

#29 ·
15 less overall? Or per gallon. I'm hearing the bike gets low to sub 20s, which is pretty fuxkin horrible.

#31 ·
What kind of riding are you doing? 15 overall seems wrong.

#36 ·
well what does he know...he owned it a friggin year and didn't like it for many reasons. I know of one other (via a friend) that didn't like it either. Face it...not everyone thinks its the bees knees. I can be added to the list just on looks alone...ugly IMO. The original version looked better.

#37 ·
Sounds like a shortcoming of a Euro bike that can be easily corrected by an ECU update or proper mapping (as mentioned). As long as the bike doesn't suffer from anything catastrophic, that's not bad at all. My Triumph's being my first non-Japanese bikes, I learned a bit about owning Euro and having to cope with reliability. Luckily, Triumph seems to be on the higher end of the spectrum when it comes to Euro bike reliability.

A test ride would alleviate any negative reviews of the Ape since not all riders share the same opinion, nor does one bike suit every rider, and looks are subjective from one another. I'll take magazine reviews with a grain of salt and won't use that as a sole reason for purchasing a bike; otherwise I'd be riding an S1000RR.

My ST3 is a great bike all around; fun in the canyons, awesome commuter, and most importantly, an ease around town. Not to mention it looks sexy as fvck. If the Tuono V4 Factory can share the same attributes as the ST3 with more power, why not?

#38 ·
On fuel economy an RSV4 1000 is one of the worst out there... PERIOD, barring a H2 or zx-14r.
If you can get 35mpg at a constant cruising speed props to you, never seen that happen, with the stock programming or with the race ecu. The smaller tank does not help..

It's a good bike, just take the street triple amp everything up, but slow down the steering. The Tuono is noticably heavier & more work to get the same handling result.. She even has loads of character like the ST.
You can't really go wrong with the bike, but make sure you have an extended warranty and a dealer somewhat close. :whistle:

#40 ·
Some great input here! I love that one posted photo is melted off tread, and the next is saddle bags. Versatility!

I'm a little concerned about the Ape running hot. I'm in Texas, and the STR undertail exhaust gets a little warm, but never bothers me, HOWEVER.. the 2015 899 Panigale almost burned my nuts off in traffic! I would never buy that bike for the street.

Does the Tuono reach nut-scalding temps?

#42 ·
Some great input here! I love that one posted photo is melted off tread, and the next is saddle bags. Versatility!

I'm a little concerned about the Ape running hot. I'm in Texas, and the STR undertail exhaust gets a little warm, but never bothers me, HOWEVER.. the 2015 899 Panigale almost burned my nuts off in traffic! I would never buy that bike for the street.

Does the Tuono reach nut-scalding temps?
It gets warm but nothing even close to the Ducati. I have ridden that 899 and I don't see how people do it. Its pretty frickin bad heat wise.

#45 ·
I use to think the Daytona got hot in traffic until I jumped onto a 848....

I feel all the ducatis like to run hot as shit.

I'm sure everything will get accustomed to with time, the heat from the subframe on the Daytona doesn't even bother me anymore.

#46 ·
I use to think the Daytona got hot in traffic until I jumped onto a 848....

I feel all the ducatis like to run hot as shit.

I'm sure everything will get accustomed to with time, the heat from the subframe on the Daytona doesn't even bother me anymore.
I think all Italian bikes run hot as shit!...But for me nothing brings out the true joy of riding a nice back road, on a Ducati SBK.

#51 ·
i was leaning toward the new tuono 1100 until i saw the new speed triple s in red!!!!! cant wait to see them side to side !!

View attachment 186218
As much as i want to like the Speed Triple, it looks dated even after the updates, not in a good way. it might have some of the go fast goodies, but hideously huge exhaust, mv/ductai style wheels, and lacking for a literbike HP & torque.

#53 ·
the tuono looks exactly the same as the rsv4 except for cutouts mid fairing and handle bars.

#54 ·
I agree that the Speed Triple could use some more styling updates, like incorporating a single exhaust like the street and the daytona. It would help with mass centralization, handling and IMO the under tail exhaust is an old design also it would help drop some weight on the speedy. I thought about a Tuono V4R but the maintenance and running cost were just too much for me at this time. I test rode a Tuono V4R a few weeks ago and although it's an outstanding bike to me it's me it's just too much for everyday riding now if they offered the Tuono V4R in 750 cc configuration I would be all over it, that sound of the V4 is orgasmic, I also considered the new Suzuki GSX-S1000, until I test rode one that bike I just as mental as the Tuono, It definitely puts out more ponies than the stated 145 hp more like 165 brake hp, it's fast as shit. So for me I'll stick with either a Street Triple R or a Speed Triple.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.