Triumph 675 Forums banner

Tire Wear Indicator?

4K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  IanC 
#1 ·
So I'm running the stock SC on my '14 Daytona. I want to try and make these tires last until the end of the season. My issue is my front tire is worn down to the wear indicators on the sides but the middle and rear still have some life for sure. Now, is the tire in need of replacement when it hits the indicator or after it eats through the indicator. I would like to replace both at the same time rather than just the front but I don't want to sacrifice the rear while its got life. Also, what would cause the front to wear faster than the rear? Bad riding habits etc.....I don't commute on her anymore just all twisties and light to light getting to the twisties, hints why the middle isn't worn as much. Thanks

#2 ·
I have this exact same issue. Technically (and I guess legally), you're supposed to change the tire as soon as any wear bar becomes flush with the rest of the tire surface. I just bit the bullet and bought a brand new set since I was told pairing two different types of tires is a no-no.

As for the front wearing down faster than the rear? Those big meaty front calipers are to blame, especially if it's used for commuting.

#3 ·
If you are planning on replacing them, why not just do it now?

Those wear bars are there for a reason, will it be negative? Hard to say, but the lower a tire gets the less grippy they are. It is up to you to decide, but I don't get why you cant replace it now.

Also for front wearing out first, sounds like you need to check your tire pressures. If that is in check, then I would look at suspension.

#7 ·
i definitely suggest replacing them!
250+ for most great quality tires is a lot cheaper than the event of a wreck
I know for sure it's cheaper than replacing your bike. Other gear. The ambulance bill. The hospital bill. The recovery time and cost. Oh.... And that is all if you live.
I definitely suggest always checking the bike over before a ride, and change the tire early. It's not long after that and you get the cords.
Learn from the members here.

Good luck
And as always. See TJ with riders discount for great tires prices

#9 ·
You can usually find deals on sets of tires. Just because you buy two tires doesn't mean you have to mount them both. Next time if you only need one tire, buy a set and sell the one you don't need. If the weather has shut you down for the year then just wait till Feb-March, Dunlop and Bridgestone seem to have deals on sets of tires every year.

#10 ·
I was in the same situation as you and I washed out because I wanted to make my original SC front tire last a few more weeks.

I ended up with a 1k bill and technically a "totaled" bike because I snapped the steering stop. In addition to buying a new front and rear tire.

Wisdom has taught me to just ****ing buy new tires.

#11 ·
I got a ridiculous deal on Pirelli's earlier this year from RidersDiscount, so I had spare tires burning a hole in my pocket.

That said, I have 14.5k on my Datyona now and have changed the sets twice.

160 lb rider, geared.

First set I was running 33 Front, 31 rear and both tires wore perfectly.

Second set I ran 31 Front, 33 Rear and the front went first.

When deciding whether or not to change your tire at the wear bars you should take into consideration your riding style. Personally, I ride my bike like it's a sport and I am perfectly comfortable trading the few extra miles you get beyond your wear bars for peace of mind and optimal performance. However, if you are just commuting or ride at a relaxed pace, ride the tires until they fall off.

That said, I did not do my tires at the same time because my rear was perfectly fine, did just the front, to the same type of tire.

On the topic of matching tires, I once allowed a dealership to put different tires on my first bike and did not like the way the bike responded.

On a final note, I read through Pirelli's tire guide and I am now running the recommended 33 Front/34 Rear based on my bike/weight.

#12 ·
Ya I think I'll change up the pressures. Think I said it but the shop that mounted the tires said 34f 42r was the way to go.....I don't like it. Too rough and too responsive (odd I know). I use to commute in CA but not anymore since moving g to VA due to road quality and long work hours. She is a weekend joy ride but I normally ride at a brisk pace. Attempt to not be excessive on the streets but I do pride myself in a good form, line, and speed through a corner. On the straights I try and keep it 15mph or less over the speed limit so I don't get my bike taken.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.