Triumph 675 Forums banner

New to motorcycles and need advice on gear.

3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Ffemt 
#1 ·
I'm new to motorcycle world and need some advice on riding gear. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the shoei RF-1200. What are everyone's experiences with this helmet? I'm also looking looking for a good jacket to wear in the summer.

Thanks,

#3 ·
as far as jackets make SURE you wear one!! This is my first summer with a leather jacket and I'm already regretting it and it hasn't even gotten really hot here (southern Louisiana). I am probably going to get something mesh very soon, before i die of a heat stroke.

Dainese is a great brand. If you want something cheap but decent for beginners, Sedici makes some cool stuff. You don't really have to spend a thousand dollars on a helmet or a jacket to get something good. AGV is a good helmet brand and they are on the cheaper side of things. I just picked up an AGV k3 SV and I love it. Its much quieter than the HJC helmet i had, and only a few bucks more. You can't go wrong with Alpinestars gear, but I stay away from them just for personal preferences.

#5 ·
I'm wearing an Alpinestars mesh jacket; and after four years and a slow speed crash, it's still fine, not torn anywhere. But their new designs are too gaudy for my taste. My next jacket is a Rev'it GTR air... But for weekend rides (or any high speed jaunts) I still recommend wearing leather...

My next helmet will also be an RF1200. Currently wearing a Qwest... But like the others have said, it all depends on your head shape. I myself wont fit in an AGV or Bell.

#6 ·
Mesh jacket for summer riding for sure.
There are some nicer ones in the $300 range that have zip in liners which make them a good 3 season jacket.
The newer jackets by RevIt have a newer thinner more flexible armor as well, which is nice when you ride out and then are foced to wear your jacket while walking around, much less cumbersome.
I really like the AVG non-perforated leather jackets (AVG Dragon and Willow) for winter and cold riding conditions, they usually run around $300 as well.

Good luck!

#9 ·
Have fun looking for gear. Find a store that carries that helmet so you can try it on, and ask people for input on fitting (prefeably an experienced friend since sometimes the salespeople aren't terribly knowledgeable - YMMV).

Start off by measuring your head, and know your chest measurement / jacket size - these will give you a good starting point for sizes to look for when going to the store.

Keep the helmet on for several minutes as you browse the other gear. Snug and tight are good, but you shouldn't get any pain while you're wearing it.

Also I recommend getting gloves; you can choose a different brand of helmet if necessary for your budget.

#11 ·
A lot of the major online stores have videos of the gear, showing the fit and styling, pros & cons etc...
motorcyclesuperstore.com, bikebandit.com and revzilla.com all do this.

Nothing like trying it on in person though, but most good sites have a decent return policy.

#12 ·
My vote is to stick with leather for more protection, just go perforated and you'll be fine. I have an Alpinestars GP Plus R leather perforated jacket with the Nucleon KR-Ci chest protectors and Nucleon KR-1i back protector in 24/7. I've ridden for hours in 94F weather so far in muggy, humid Iowa. No problem.

#13 ·
I wrecked my shoei rf 1200 and can tell you it saved my head. I was high sided off the bike landed on my ass and then my head bounced off the pavement.

As far as jacket, I recommend leather. Yes it's hot in the summer but it's the best protection you can get IMO. With textile and mesh you run the risk of it melting to your skin if you go down. Even a slow speed crash can cause massive road rash.

Personally I have a two piece Alpinestar motegi suit and love it!

And thank you for your service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
I also advocate leather jackets: leather does not just provide better abrasion resistance but it "binds and ties" your body together. It simply reduces the generalized violence of a fall much better than any textile jacket can. To me, smart choices in leather jackets are those that provide primarily a good fit and include zipper-operated vents which widen the temperature range at which they can be comfortably worn.

That said, after my highside (which happened at 28mph and led to an almost but not quite torn knee ligament) I have grown increasingly suspicious of any gear combo that doesn't encompass proper lower body protection. Nomatter what pants I choose to wear for street rides (usually not leather I admit) I always wear "overpant-style" hard knee protectors and I also put some hip protectors inside the jeans. The knee ligaments are very prone to damage and notoriously difficult to mend once damaged. Simply put there's no such thing as too much protection of joints in general and lower body is oftentimes largely overlooked when it comes to street riding.

#17 ·
I'm new to motorcycle world and need some advice on riding gear. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the shoei RF-1200. What are everyone's experiences with this helmet? I'm also looking looking for a good jacket to wear in the summer.

Thanks,
I went with Shoei as well because they fit my head better between Arai and it protected my head before during a high side at 70mph. I've also worn a Scorpion when on a budget, great brand, but doesn't beat the comfort and lightness of the Shoei.

For the Summer if you wanted to go leather I've used the Dainese EVO perforated jacket, comes with a liner too for the cold season. I recently purchased the Dainese Super Speed textile jacket but have yet to try it out on the bike.

Where are you stationed? I'm at Kadena AB in Okinawa... With this darn typhoon it's been raining quite a bit haha, we need the sun ASAP so we can all go riding again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.