Triumph 675 Forums banner

Looking for a second bike besides the Daytona, ideas?

2K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  mistah ARK 
#1 ·
Hiya!

Since the weather is shit all around where I live I am contemplating getting a bad weather bike.

I am looking for something that is reliable, reasonable in price and still somehow fun to ride.

So far I am thinking a SV650 might be a nice pot to sit on :) or one of the 250-300 CBR Ninjas etc

Any other ideas or experience with a bike on the side? :)

#3 ·
I've been on a '99 SV650 for eleven years until last September when I got myself a nice orange ST-R.

The SV is a beast regarding reliability except for its electrical system. It would be excellent for second bike, and perhaps even a first one if you feel like going for a relaxed ride on a peaceful shiny day. The SV is eager and playful but nowhere near as psyched trigger-happy commando-poised as the triple is.

A note of warning: I've ridden a 2004 SV650, with EFI and the on-off throttle action was veeeery abrupt, much more than my carbed version. Some bikes have it worse than others so if going for used, try it first to see if it suits you. Abrupt throttle response plus strong engine braking may mean even momentarily locked wheel on slippery terrain which might be a no-no since you want it for "bad weather".

If you get one just put somewhere a small voltmeter to monitor the output of the Rectifier/Regulator, the culprit for most electrical problems. If it starts playing funk music (more than 14.8V) then it'll need replacement.

Do that and it'll never break, if you maintain it properly.

#4 ·
A note of warning: I've ridden a 2004 SV650, with EFI and the on-off throttle action was veeeery abrupt, much more than my carbed version. Some bikes have it worse than others so if going for used, try it first to see if it suits you. Abrupt throttle response plus strong engine braking may mean even momentarily locked wheel on slippery terrain which might be a no-no since you want it for "bad weather".
Had my ECU flashed and it's as smooth as a carbed bike. Quick and easy fix.

#6 ·
Good points about the bad weather warnings but for me bad weather means just that I do not want to get my Daytona wet and dirty :)

ABS would still be a good idea...

I'll have to try the "small" bikes for sure, so far have only tested the 250 and 300 ninja.

#8 ·
Suzuki really screwed the pooch with the Gladius. Glad the SV is back but it still has that awful single-piece frame and subframe. On the older SV's, the subframe is removable for all kinds of customization. I have a GSXR tail section on mine.

The KTM 390 has a little more power but their quality control in India is terrible. The Honda has nice build quality but it's only a single cylinder so they're way down on power. My R3 has plenty of power for the street, but it might not be enough for everyone, especially if you're not willing to rev its little balls off all the time.

#12 ·
Originally bought a ninja 250r for my wife to learn on. Every so often I ride it to work. Man... it is the perfect commuter. After each ride I'm reminded of what a great little bike this is. Plus I bought it used for a song so I don't fret over where to park it on the job site. Definitely don't have to worry about giving to much throttle in the rain.
Oh btw ringing it's neck is one of the things that make it fun to ride.
Maybe not something Id want as an only bike,but as a second(or third😉) it is worth considering.
Especially if you can find a cheap one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Originally bought a ninja 250r for my wife to learn on. Every so often I ride it to work. Man... it is the perfect commuter. After each ride I'm reminded of what a great little bike this is. Plus I bought it used for a song so I don't fret over where to park it on the job site. Definitely don't have to worry about giving to much throttle in the rain.
Oh btw ringing it's neck is one of the things that make it fun to ride.
Maybe not something Id want as an only bike,but as a second(or third😉) it is worth considering.
Especially if you can find a cheap one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
I've owned a few Ninjettes over the years and am considering picking up another one to tool around town. It definitely loves to be in the higher RPMs. If you are shifting before redline, it feels anemic.

#15 ·
You want a fun all weather bike to spice it up... Get a supermoto. Drz400 would be fun. The 250s are even good... But if you want a really fun ride pick up a ktm 690sm. 60+ hp durable ride it hard put away wet kind of bike. Where the drz400 runs out of steam at 75mph the 690 will still lift the front tire in 6th with a little help. I have a 690enduro and I have seriously considered selling the Daytona and getting a set of sm rims for it. It's a blast. If it had 80hp it would be the perfect bike.

#20 ·
Can't go wrong with a 03+ sv650. I had an 09 as my first bike; the only reason I sold it was to finance my D675. I would love to have kept it and done the full suite of mods to it, but I just didn't have the money. Plus...I got way more than it was worth after all the crashes I put it through.

+1 for an FZ-07 though. I don't have any experience with it, but from what I've read it's a great bike, and stock, it's a better street bike than the SV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.