Triumph 675 Forums banner

Cleaning the wax off of a brand new D675R arghhhhhh

6K views 41 replies 18 participants last post by  Tiem 
#1 ·
Anyone else have this problem? They coated my chain from the factory in this wax that splattered all over my rear wheel and tail fairing. I scrubbed the SHIT out of it and it just will not come off without tons and tons of elbow grease. Anyone have any advice on what to use to take it off?

It's EVERYWHERE :(

#3 ·
I'd try something like lighter fluid/naptha or maybe isopropyl alcohol. I use plexus plastic cleaner on my fairings and that seemed to take the grease off the undertail as well.

#16 ·
I wouldn't right off the bat. I'd probably just wash the bike or spot treat with quick detailer and a microfiber cloth. However, the OP has "scrubbed the SHIT out of it and it just will not come off without tons and tons of elbow grease." Next step, magic eraser. You don't have to scrub very hard with them. I remember the first time I discovered them last year. I cleaned all sorts of stuff that would not come clean with any kind of chemical - denatured alcohol, acetone, simple green, or purple power. Then I tried a magic eraser and gunk just disappeared. I was like :surprise:

I did get a little too aggressive on the top of my toaster oven and removed some of the paint, and I another time I scrubbed a stain out of my matte graphite tank and left a small "shiny" spot that catches in just the right light, but I'd rather have that than an unsightly black mark. That said, if you're careful they're very useful at making quick work of tough jobs.

#28 ·
Are you trying to clean your chain or your wheels and fairings? WD40 and a shop rag will take care of your chain. For your fairings and wheels get some honda polish or other motorcycle cleaner and a paper towel, it will come right off. I'm not sure what you 'scrubbed the shit out of it' with, but soap and water isn't going to touch it.

Hate to burst a bubble, but if you aren't getting some lube or wax on your wheel or the left side of the tail fairing you're not lubing your chain properly and you can kiss it goodbye in a few thousand miles.

#29 ·
Hate to burst a bubble, but if you aren't getting some lube or wax on your wheel or the left side of the tail fairing you're not lubing your chain properly and you can kiss it goodbye in a few thousand miles.
He's talking about the nasty wax they put on chains on new bikes. It's incredibly tough to get off; regular chain lube like Dupont Chain Saver comes off the wheels much easier.

#37 ·
WD-40 is indeed a cleaner, not a lubricant. That said, motorcyclist did a test where they put o-rings in WD-40 for several months and they were still fine, so definitely nothing to worry about if you follow up your cleaning with an actual lubricant.

All that said, I spray WD-40 on a paper towel or rag, not directly on the chain.

#39 ·
if used regularly, you wont notice. But wd40 is too thin, so it doesn't stay in the chain for long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.