Triumph 675 Forums banner

Cps failures (crank position sensor)

32K views 43 replies 26 participants last post by  xaeret 
#1 · (Edited)
Gentleman if you've had a crank position sensor fail on your street triple or Daytona I would appreciate you listing the model and year on this thread. I know there have been several failures one being on my race bike and one on a friend's race bike. I'm trying to gather enough information to see if we have a case for a recall. I would also like to know if the bikes are being used on the race track and if that increases the failure rate. Thanks folks

Note: you can find a replacement cps here http://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/partsearch

It's revered to as a trigger coil.

oh squiggly line how I doth love how you make my tripple howl

#8 ·
2011 Daytona 675R. 11,000 miles. June 2013. Was replaced under "Good-Will" warranty. I have had 0 issues with the bike otherwise. 13,000+ miles on the clock now.

~Ex

#17 ·
No real signs at all, it left me stranded at a pep boys luckily. It would only start with ether. Then after about 200 miles it wouldn't start at all. It took about 30 hours of messing around and replacing parts to figure it out. Total pain in the ass.

#15 ·
Just been told mine has gone and that's why my bike suddenly stopped starting after I had ridden it to work. Had filled up with fuel on the way and it started no worries had turned it off and on at work to move it then the third time I went to start it to ride home it just didn't start. No warning.

2011 Daytona SE done around 10 000kms been on the track but not a track bike and never been revved etc towards its max (sadly).

Anyone have any info on replacing sensor with one from a Tiger 800? To save money on having to replace whole stator?

#19 ·
If they are paying for it the OEM one. If you are paying then the ricks. The ricks is only $150 vs like $800 for OEM. Its really easy to swap out, maybe an hour, 2 hours if your not mechanically inclined.

#21 ·
Mine's out as well, I'm pretty sure. About 8900 miles on the ODO as it sits in the garage. Would have trouble starting sometimes, would eventually start but would die at intersections and randomly start again after sitting for a little bit. Now I haven't been able to get it to fire in a few weeks. Got the P0335 (Crankshaft Sensor Circuit) Error on TuneECU and tried clearing it and starting again, but nothing.

#24 ·
they carry the cps alone and the stator with the cps. I puchased the stator and cps together. I would rather not have to mess with fitting the cps wiring and and splicing.

I think the cps is $75 and the combo is $150. Well worth it for me.

Contact TJ at riders discount. He gave me a better price than ricks,

#26 ·
2013 Street Triple R - CPS failed at 19,500 miles (all road riding, no track), of course only a few months out of warranty. One day I went to start it and it would not start, so I turned it off and then back on, and it started up. Rode without issue for about a week, and then it suddenly would not start at all. Was able to get it started by push-starting it (put the bike in 2nd gear with clutch pulled, then had my friends push me down the street up to about 12mph, then let out the clutch and it starts) and rode it down to the Triumph dealer (Northern Ohio Ducati and Triumph). $610 to fix (part / labor).

#28 · (Edited)
This doesn't sound like a CPS sensor issue at all.

My CPS failed without warning last fall. 2009 Daytona with about 5k miles (Almost all track).

No amount of bump starts or fully charged battery would do anything.

Wired in a new CPS sensor as opposed to putting in a whole new stator (wasn't that hard at all). Will see how long this lasts.

#33 ·
I wasn't sure what it was myself, but it found a video of someone having a similar issue, and it had to do with the "pick up / pulsar coil." The shop said it was pretty easy to diagnose because after I got the bike started by push starting it, the engine light was on, so I think they got a code for the issue. That being said, the service manager there said he had not seen an issue with that CPS on a Street Triple or Speed Triple in six years of being at the shop. Will see later today or tomorrow after they switch out the part if it was indeed the issue. Here's the video I found at first that gave me an idea of what might be the problem, and a video we took of me trying to start the bike. (I didn't mention in the video, but there is gas in the tank.)

Video I found to self-diagnose the issue:

#27 ·
Update: I called Triumph about the issue and they said since the bike was only a few months past warranty, I should have the dealer shop the bike is at send a "goodwill" warranty claim for the part / work to them. Kevin at Northern Ohio Ducati and Triumph did this and Triumph got back to him a couple hours later saying that they would pay for the repair, which I was very glad to hear. The fact that they took responsibility for something that clearly wasn't the result of normal wear, even though the bike was outside of warranty, was important for my trust in the brand. Hopefully the new one will last a little longer than the original!

#30 ·
It will crank. It will do everything but have spark.

If you aren't getting it to crank, first check fuses, then clutch sensor, then kickstand, then tipover.

My bike's clutch switch is finnicky. I have to pull the lever up slightly when I pull it in or else it won't crank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.