Triumph 675 Forums banner

Same sprocket tooth to chain link ratio on 15/48?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  up.left 
#1 · (Edited)
I need new sprockets / chain and am thinking about converting to this setup.

Renthal 385U-520-15 15t Front
SuperSprox Steel 48T Rear (unless the general opinion is that the Renthal 456U-520-48HA rear would be fine.)
520VXGB-120 DID Chain
DID Rivet Link

I am curious how this ends up on the same sprocket tooth to chain link ratio? I also would like to know what is more common or preferred 15/48 V.S. 16/48?

I have also been through 2 sets of super corsas since obtaining the 675. I am thinking about switching to the Metzeler Sportec M7 RR's unless there is a reason why i should choose a different street tire?

#4 ·
Its an 06'. Im am actually at a tossup between the PR4's and M7RR's. I haven't been on either tires but have two buddies complaining about "a long warm up time on the PR4's" and how they "are having sliding issues till they do". But maybe they just want something to ***** about, it all comes down to the rider really and they are much less conservative on the backroads than I. They also like to rip through corners as fast as possible and i prefer to try to determine the most efficient line with much less braking. Ive been trying to decide between those two tires for months. I ride around the mtns from March to October every year here and would like a good street tire that I can really corner in the rain with and that will handle surprise sediment/random tar spots the best it can. If this is the PR4 than so be it.

#8 ·
I'm wearing M7RRs. Definitely better in warm-up than the Dunlops SportSmarts - they are actually a world apart in this regard. The Sportsmarts actually caused me a trackday highside due to their atrocious cold grip and long warm-up. I can't compare them to PR4s though as I've never used them. M7RRs are definitely excellent for back-road thrashing, that's what I mostly do on my bike (been riding motorcycles for about 19 years). Carcass is medium stiffness (softer than the SportSmarts, stiffer than Bridgestone S20) and profile (lean-in speed and stability) is neutral.

I would also consider Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3s which are also very good for B-roads.

#5 ·
I think you'll really like the extra grunt with 15/48 and the equivalent gearing wasn't too buzzy for me at freeway speeds. The most common gearing change is either to 15/47 or 16/49, but you'll get pretty much the same effect at 15/48 without having to adjust the chain very much. I always had plenty of chain freeplay while regularly swapping between 16/47 and 16/49.

Most other members here will agree with me, the PR4 is head and shoulders above any other street-only tire. I've dragged knee without trying on sunny days and had 100% confidence in the wettest 45 minute ride of my life.

#6 ·
another option is the pilot power 3 - similar dual compound as the Road 4 but a more sport profile.

I have the roads on my Tiger and the powers on the D675.

Have fun.

x

#9 ·
Im actually about to pick up both the M7RR's and the PR4's. I have some stock color wheels i picked up and will powder coat gold before the tire mount and then my original wheels were powder coated satin black last tire change so im just saying screw it and getting both. Am going to try the Brembo T-drives/M7RR's on the black wheels and am looking into the brembo master cylinder upgrade as well. The rotors on the stock wheels are in great shape so i was going to put the PR4s/ gold wheel/stock rotor combo on asap while i save up for the Brembo setup. I am planning on keeping the stock nissin calipers on the bike. Also for the gearing Im going with the gold and black did 520 chain and 15/48T renthal kit..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.