Triumph 675 Forums banner

ALLoneUP's 2012 Daytona Mods

23K views 83 replies 17 participants last post by  D Unit 
#1 ·
I started out with a new 2012 Daytona 675R. I took advantage of a couple wonderfully brutal WI winters and tore the bike down as far as I felt comfortable.

Being newer to modifying, it has been mostly cosmetic. I relied heavily on this forum for info, ideas, and guidance.

I want to document all this stuff for myself as well as on the forum.

#2 · (Edited)
First up - TRMN8TR Header Modification

This mod did the following:
- Delete EXBV
- Delete O2 Sensor
- CAT Delete
- Cone Engineering Merge Collector

Review here:
http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=122785

I am extremely happy with the craftsmanship and overall experience. I took the headers and got them ceramic coated black. One of my favorite mods so far. Bicycle part Automotive exterior Auto part Metal Font
Sculpture Art Statue Bicycle part Font

I took the midpipe and coated it with high temp ceramic paint from AutoZone. I used Rustoleum 2000* flat black and Rustoleum satin clear. Bicycle part Tool Composite material Auto part Automotive exterior

#4 · (Edited)
The airbox was due for some modification.
- SAI plug from Triumph Block-Off Kit
- ST3 Bracket for relay relocation
- BMC Street Filter

The SAI modification was one of my very first projects. As far as the airbox, all I had to do was block off the left side intake. I went with the Triumph Block-Off Kit which came with a yellow cap.

This thread was a huge help for the full SAI removal:
http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53954

Edit: Don't paint over DEI Tape.

Attachments

#6 ·
You do understand that the DEI Tape isnt an insulator...

Heat is also transmitted in means of radiation...and so 30% of the energy in heat is light..so the DEI tape works by reflecting the energy away and that is how it works...

My airbox is also heat taped, but DEI Reflect-a-gold on mine.. painting it ruins the purpose and just adds weight for no reason.

it's not Convection...its radiation.

#7 ·
I bought a Competition Werkes Plate Holder which I really like. The only downside I saw was the LED provided very little light to the plate at night. I did some research and came across an LED plate frame by Radiantz which drastically improved plate illumination. The finish is really nice. Countersunk bolts add a nice clean finish, and the 6 LED bar is pretty low profile.
Rectangle Gas Street light Office supplies Automotive exterior

Since I no longer needed the CW light, I decided to trim down the piece and paint it black. I just used tin snips and an angle grinder to sand down the edges. Rustoleum paint/clear again. I really like that stuff.
Font Auto part Plastic Gadget Machine

Musical instrument Chair Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory Laptop

The only issue I ran into was the Radiantz frame wiring couldn't sit flush against the CW backing. A little dremel action took care of that. Just notched out a groove and smoothed out the edges.
Rectangle Bumper Gas Grass Audio equipment

Automotive lighting Bumper Gas Auto part Tool

Automotive lighting Office supplies Bumper Wood Office equipment

#10 ·
Storage space is pretty much non-existent in a Daytona. Add in some extra electronics and an alarm, things get pretty stuffed. I purchased the RIDE alarm with the GPS and TPMS (tire pressure).

I needed a place for the siren and GPS signal piece. I wanted both hidden, the siren not muffled, and the GPS sensor under the least amount of material for optimal signal. I originally had both fastened to the subframe under the tail plastic.

I had to create space. My solution was to cut out some material from my solo tail's plastic base.
Helmet Font Auto part Audio equipment Sports equipment

With the "X" removed, the base felt just as sturdy, and didn't effect the fit at all.

Wrapped the seat material to minimize collateral damage.
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Bumper

Pretty happy with the final outcome. I was excited to have new storage area!
Gun accessory Auto part Fashion accessory Bag Personal protective equipment

#13 ·
I really like the subframe carbon infills on the new model Daytonas. I wanted to wrap the battery tray to give a little more depth behind the subframe. Plus carbon fibre is like crack. Just experimenting with this for now. Tried a bunch of different brands and patterns. Can't decide if I like it yet, but here's where I'm at with it.
Wood Automotive parking light Gas Automotive exterior Road surface

Got my rims back from powder coating. All new bearings and seals to install. Lots more to come!

#14 ·
I really like the subframe carbon infills on the new model Daytonas. I wanted to wrap the battery tray to give a little more depth behind the subframe. Plus carbon fibre is like crack. Just experimenting with this for now. Tried a bunch of different brands and patterns. Can't decide if I like it yet, but here's where I'm at with it.
View attachment 160634

Got my rims back from powder coating. All new bearings and seals to install. Lots more to come!
Nice touch! I was debating doing my under tray with DEI Reflect-a-gold to keep more of the exhaust heat away from my ass lol.

But I have a wrapped and coated mid-pipe already..might just look stupid and be too flashy for negligible gains.

#15 ·
Got my new MKII set up with a properly weighted spring. Got that powder coated to match my newly shaved subframe. I added a couple torrington bearings to eliminate any spring flex/twist. More of an experiment, haven't heard too much about them. Stoked!
Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting Valve Automotive wheel system

Job made super easy by this bad mofo right here. . . . Plumbing valve Bicycle fork Valve Gas Cylinder

#17 ·
I dropped off my battery tray and insert to get hydro-dipped. Along with my radiaror infills and top triple tree clamp. Pretty excited! Will definitely update with pics once I get the pieces back. In the meantime. . .

Some shots from last summer. Got a Sharkskinz tail to experiment with. Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive lighting Plant

End of this last riding season.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Made a slight difference in paint lines. Triangle Creative arts Toy Airplane Font

#20 ·
New additions!!!

Galfer Wave Rear Rotor

Superlite RS7 Sprocket - 525

View attachment 164609
Really digging the exhaust, and all the little touches you are doing.. Brings back some memories of when i was doing all these things on my 675R.
I should be doign a few more things also, will shoot you one of those secret PM's! :whistle:

Reactions: Zaffarack
#22 · (Edited)
I picked up some red reflective rim tape. I got a few different thicknesses: 6, 9, 12mm I think. I can't decide on the size. I think the stock stripe size on the '12 R is like 1/8", so these are all larger in diameter.

In the pic I have the 6mm on the front and 12mm on the rear. Should I go with the smaller or larger stripe for both tires? Or use the larger stripe on the rear, and smaller stripe on the front, as my wife suggested.

I can't make up my mind.

#24 ·
I prefer the look of the thinner on both tires. It looks cleaner and sharper.

#25 · (Edited)
New addition: LFX18A1-BS12

There are a lot of threads regarding Shorai battery fitment which helped me choose the larger 18A1. I run a few accessories and need the extra CCA for colder WI riding. I included some side by side pics since I couldn't find any in my searching. Very impressed with the overall packaging.
Shipping box Gadget Gas Packaging and labeling Box

Came with a lot of sticky sided foam to ensure a perfect fit.
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Pattern

New battery: Font Ticket Signage Rectangle Sign

Old battery: Rectangle Font Musical instrument accessory Gas Audio equipment

A few side by sides. The two batteries are the same height and length. The Shorai is a little thinner. Rectangle Font Electric blue Musical instrument accessory Event
Electronic device Composite material Electronics accessory Electronic component Rf modulator
Rectangle Electronics accessory Font Camera accessory Composite material
Camera accessory Wood Rectangle Gadget Cameras & optics
Rectangle Wood Automotive tire Bumper Box

#37 ·
New addition: LFX18A1-BS12

There are a lot of threads regarding Shorai battery fitment which helped my choose the larger 18A1. I run a few accessories and need the extra CCA for colder WI riding. I included some side by side pics since I couldn't find any in my searching. Very impressed with the overall packaging.
View attachment 165185
Came with a lot of sticky sided foam to ensure a perfect fit.
View attachment 165193

New battery: View attachment 165129
Old battery: View attachment 165137

A few side by sides. The two batteries are the same height and length. The Shorai is a little thinner. View attachment 165145 View attachment 165153 View attachment 165161 View attachment 165169 View attachment 165177
I'm thinking about getting a shorai what's with this fitting thing I've been reading lately?

#27 ·
My Gilles Variobar clip on set up.
Audio equipment Cable Auto part Gas Wire
Automotive exhaust Automotive exterior Gas Bicycle part Auto part
Bicycle handlebar Audio equipment Cable Ac adapter Bicycle accessory

This thread addresses the RhinoMoto bar ends and CRG Arrow mirrors:

http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=128009

I went with the CRG SC2 clutch perch to match the RC2 brake lever. In order for it to work you need to buy a new clutch switch and wire it in.

The part numbers are on the CRG website, but I'll put them up here too. I went to bikebandit.com for these parts. Ordered them both and they are exactly the same part. Same manufacturer stamp and all.
Ingredient Font Plant Packing materials Packaging and labeling

Honda PN: 35335-MCJ-751

Yamaha PN: 4XV-82917-01

#29 ·
EXCITED!!! I dropped off a few pieces to get hydro-dipped at a local shop a few weeks back. I finally got an email today saying my pieces will be ready for pick-up on Monday! All that's left is buffing the clear coat.

All parts hydro-dipped in carbon fiber pattern with a black base coat: Radiator infill panels, top triple clamp, and battery tray w/ smaller exhaust attachment.

Hood Bumper Bicycle part Wood Auto part
Hood Wood Gadget Automotive tire Cable
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Engineering

I will post some better finished photos once I pick these up on Monday.

#30 ·
As far as the rim tape width goes... idea: :idea:

If you want to take the time, do each side of the bike with a different thickness tape. Take a few photos or even better, have a bud take a short video at slow speed. This way you can see what they look like in motion as most others will see the bike. :whistle:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.