Triumph 675 Forums banner

Jennings Track 12/16 with some pics and media

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  SeoulMan 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally got back to the track after recouping from an ankle sprain from the previous track day. Thanks to TJ's help and advice had the bike ready to go well before the ankle was 100%.

My goals for the day were have fun, work on reference point sighting and entry speed, smooth throttle control, and commit my body into turns a little bit better. My first two sessions I felt really hesitant and nervous about the speed so naturally I was lazy entering corners and my line was rather crooked. I asked one of the control riders, Travis, to tow me and watch me for a couple laps and naturally he was happy to oblige. After following him and getting a feel for the speed my nervousness subsided and I was able to rest of the day to try and accomplish what I had set out to accomplish.

All of the subsequent sessions were a blast and I felt like I had started to make headway in my reference point sighting and entry speed. I tried to limit my brake use to get a feel of exactly how much speed a could and would need to enter the corners with to stay on line. Travis after one of the later sessions of the day pointed out my feet were lazy and my toes were a little out of position. Did one more session working on my foot placement and it felt almost like my toenails had to be on the pegs maybe it's just the boots. I was pretty beat before our last session so I decided to pack up instead of going out one last time and ending up with more character on my bike and leathers.

Here's some pics

Here are a couple compare and contrast photos

Before

After

Before

After

Again constructive criticism and pointers are always welcome! I'll post the videos once they are uploaded on youtube.

See less See more
#5 ·
Keep your toes tight on the side of the bike. Right now you're riding with your feet pointed outwards. As you lean more and more, you'll start dragging toes, which can get nasty if your foot catches and it breaks your ankle.

As far as hanging off more, just force yourself to do it. Ride slower than you normally do and make a point to do it. Outside nipple on the Triumph logo of the inside of the tank, basically.

#6 ·
Keep your toes tight on the side of the bike. Right now you're riding with your feet pointed outwards. As you lean more and more, you'll start dragging toes, which can get nasty if your foot catches and it breaks your ankle.
Yeah I definitely want to avoid the broken ankle. May I ask with my toes tight to the bike how do I manage to get my leg/knee out? I was trying it a little earlier and it felt a little awkward. Would you know any helpful videos or pictures?

#10 ·
It was nice to meet you Sunday

I was on the STR. I'm fine BTW.

You looked great out there! And, this is an awesome thread for instructive purposes.

Our AFJ gang will be back down there in force the second weekend in Feb.

mike

#11 ·
I was on the STR. I'm fine BTW.

You looked great out there! And, this is an awesome thread for instructive purposes.

Our AFJ gang will be back down there in force the second weekend in Feb.

mike
Awesome glad you're alright man. I was trying to find you after the session but when I located you someone was attending to you so I didn't want to interfere.

Looking at the schedule I was planning on going that same weekend for the backwards day.

#12 ·
Great progress. I too, had the problem with the boot and peg situation. Once I figures that out it increased my speed by soo much and was the sole reason I started draggin' the knee. What helped me was to think like you're not actually "sitting" on the bike, but more on the balls of your feet. That doesn't really help with the position of your feet though. So what helped me with that was to be on the balls of my feet and at the same time having the heel touch the swing arm. If you look at most people's bike, you can see wearing on the swing arm/heel guard from this.

Locking your feet on the swing arm/heel guard is what helped me a lot. Another thing, from the pictures it kind of looks as though you are putting some weight on the bars which in turn works the forks more. You may not be, but if you are you should relax on the bike more and it will seriously increase your confidence and front end feel.

Next couple of track days you do you'll start draggin' the knees and you will get much faster, much quicker! Taking the Jason DiSalvo Speed Academy is serious business when it comes to increasing your skill and speed also! Get that suspension set up for you too if it isn't already!! Money well spent.

I'm liking the leathers and helmet combo too :cool2:!

#13 ·
Great progress. I too, had the problem with the boot and peg situation. Once I figures that out it increased my speed by soo much and was the sole reason I started draggin' the knee. What helped me was to think like you're not actually "sitting" on the bike, but more on the balls of your feet. That doesn't really help with the position of your feet though. So what helped me with that was to be on the balls of my feet and at the same time having the heel touch the swing arm. If you look at most people's bike, you can see wearing on the swing arm/heel guard from this.

Locking your feet on the swing arm/heel guard is what helped me a lot. Another thing, from the pictures it kind of looks as though you are putting some weight on the bars which in turn works the forks more. You may not be, but if you are you should relax on the bike more and it will seriously increase your confidence and front end feel.

Next couple of track days you do you'll start draggin' the knees and you will get much faster, much quicker! Taking the Jason DiSalvo Speed Academy is serious business when it comes to increasing your skill and speed also! Get that suspension set up for you too if it isn't already!! Money well spent.

I'm liking the leathers and helmet combo too :cool2:!
Thanks a lot for the advice. I'm definitely going to have to get used to feeling my heel on the swingarm but I guess that just means more time on the bike :thumbup:.

I do need to have my suspension tuned as well. I'm definitely interested in taking the DiSalvo Speed Academy I wanted to take one of their standalone days this year but there weren't any left near to me. Next year I'd like to do a big track school event and I was thinking about the Disalvo school or California Superbike School. Are they similar or is the Disalvo school a little bit more tuned at racing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.