Triumph 675 Forums banner

Daytona 675 whining noise from stator side

10K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  schaus36 
#1 · (Edited)
Around 60 miles after replacing my stator, my D675 started to make whining noise that sounds from stator/primary drive area. The noise is almost like this

But it is not caused by tight chain. And at first it only appears while gear and clutch engaged and bike starts to roll. Now it makes noise even when idle. I reopened stator case and tried to replicate the noise by putting bike on gear and rotated the back wheel. A whining noise came from the small gear (see yellow circle in the 1st picture).

Upon inspection I noticed the smaller gear has wear marks. Is this normal? Can I go for several hundred miles without replacing this? I assume replacing this gear will need to take apart the engine case and I don't have money to bring her to shop.

See less See more
1 3
#3 · (Edited)
That small gear is the starter motor, it can be easily replaced if needed but it shouldnt whine for having those marks.Check the flywheel for a broken tooth or something? I cant see the pictures upclose but the flywheel appears to have some broken teeth.

flywheel costs $15
starter motor $50.

EBAY FTW.

#6 ·
Thank you. I think my engine is badly damaged. I took that gear out and reinstall the alternator cover and everything else, put the oil and push start the bike. As soon as the combustion started there it was, loud grinding nose.
I remember after I replaced my stator, the oil indicator stayed on for about 2 or 3 minutes. I checked the oil level and it was over the top line on dip stick and there were bubbles. I did not realy pay attention until read about overfilling and oil froth.

Do you think it's better to get used engine from eBay or bring it to the shop from the cost view point?

#7 ·
That test you did sealed the deal on the marks, nice.

That sucks man, I feel it i went thru it, I personally bought an used engine on ebay which is very clean,engine came with no stator/clutch/crankcase COVER,i feel lucky because it is almost new. I received it and installed it took me a whole weekend and was a *****, ended up snapping an engine mount bolt because it wouldnt bulge.

I have no idea what is wrong with your bike or what could be causing such noise, there is people here with more experience maybe they can chip in.

Good luck.

#8 ·
Since my budget is very small, I am considering
1) engine swap (may need special tools $$$),
2) or disassemble the engine and hunting for used parts in good condition (may need special tools $$$ and definitely a lot of time), ....
3) or parting out the bike (again, special tools $$$).

I am expecting some of more experienced riders to share their thoughts.

#9 ·
What color was the oil when you checked the dipstick or even when you drained the oil? Also was there any little shavings or pieces of metal in the oil if you did drain it when you took the stator cover off? Also if I'm not mistaken, maybe someone who knows for sure can correct me, but that gear that you circled I believe is the starter. Now the whining noise I watched from the video only seems to be whining when you are driving not when its standstill. It seems like the faster your going the louder it gets. Which in this case I don't think its a engine issue. It could be gearbox. Did you ever have any problems shifting or anything like that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.