Triumph 675 Forums banner

Safe adhesive for tank?

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  fishtacos 
#1 ·
I got tech-spec tank grips a couple of weeks ago and the one corner loosened and just won't restick. Can anyone recommend something safe to use on it?

#5 ·
I had the same problem and used some thin 3M double sided adhesive tape I bought from an auto paint supplier, I peeled the grip back and stretched the tape thin on the tank, held for at least 3-4 yrs, I just replaced my Tech Specs about 2 wks ago, after 5 or 6 yrs of use the snake skin didn't have much grip, I took the old center tank piece and used it on another bike for protection, even after being on one bike for so long it seems to be sticking on the other one just fine. For street use I like the Tech Specs, but for track or agressive riding I prefer the StompGrip, both are good products and hold up a long time, replaced my StompGrip's on my track bike also after 7 or 8 years and close to 40 track days.

#6 ·
SV650sWanted said:
TechSpec will replace defective grips for free. If the grip loosened by itself then you can contact Melissa at TechSpec and send her some pictures of the damaged grip. They will either send you a new set or replace the damaged side.
That's what I was thinking, but I was hoping there might be a quick fix given it's only small chunk. The curves on the 2013 D675 made them such a PITA to get on perfectly aligned.

wvstr said:
I had the same problem and used some thin 3M double sided adhesive tape I bought from an auto paint supplier, I peeled the grip back and stretched the tape thin on the tank, held for at least 3-4 yrs, I just replaced my Tech Specs about 2 wks ago, after 5 or 6 yrs of use the snake skin didn't have much grip, I took the old center tank piece and used it on another bike for protection, even after being on one bike for so long it seems to be sticking on the other one just fine. For street use I like the Tech Specs, but for track or agressive riding I prefer the StompGrip, both are good products and hold up a long time, replaced my StompGrip's on my track bike also after 7 or 8 years and close to 40 track days.
Thanks @wvstr. Any chance you remember which 3M tape it was specifically?

#7 ·
That's what I was thinking, but I was hoping there might be a quick fix given it's only small chunk. The curves on the 2013 D675 made them such a PITA to get on perfectly aligned.

Thanks @wvstr. Any chance you remember which 3M tape it was specifically?
I have a roll of it at home which I used for my Tech Specs. When I get home and if no one has mentioned which one, I'll let you know.

#8 ·
Fishtacos, the stuff I used was 3M nameplate repair tape 0.23 in x 5 yd x .030 in thick part # 06385, says it made for use of lightweight emblem, nameplates, or ornaments, when I removed my old TechSpecs after using this the matte grey finish was fine, should be able to find this in most auto parts stores, I got mine at an auto paint supply store.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.