Triumph 675 Forums banner

Taken out at local track day >_<

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Dragon slayer 
#1 ·
Hey guys, ive been on this forum for over a year now, I basically just read, don't really post often. Now that Im off work and off the track I figure I might as well post a bit on the interwebs!

I started doing track days last year in May. I caught on pretty quickly and as of last October I decided I would start racing in 2016. Ive done a few local Races with WERA at Grattan, and two weeks ago went to Road America (badass track!) with Ahrma. I was just getting the hang of this racing thing :)

Last weekend I decided to do a local track day (easy on the pockets) at Gingerman Raceway with STT. 2nd session out, just starting the 2nd lap, disaster strikes!!!

Im the 2nd rider in a group of 4. Rider one passes the Apex as I start to tip in. BOOM! I get basically T boned. Hit right in the left side swingarm. Ofcourse my bike goes sailing, I hit the ground. Next thing I see is another motorcycle barrel rolling. Landing on top of me, pinning me to the ground as I slide off the track. As I stop sliding the bike comes off of me. Laying on the ground I see not 1 other bike, but two! WTF just happened!?

I try to stand up and quickly realize something is wrong as I cant breathe well. I fall back to the ground on knees and elbows. Looking around I see the other two riders, one yelling at the other. Apparently, Rider 4 was cooking down the straight away, forgot about Turn 1. Brake waaaay late and hard and indo'd himself into rider 3. Then both riders and bikes get sent into me.

I ended up with at least 2 broken ribs (possibly more, go back for bone scan Monday) and a separated shoulder. My helmet took direct impact from a footpeg when the bike landed on my head and torso. Other than the initial impact, no rash etc. My gear definitely did its job. Im pretty sure I wont be doing track days after this as I feel racing is actually safer. There are no wildcards floating around the track. Its still a risk but eliminates the ones who aren't paying attention at 100mph...

My 675 didn't end up too bad. Broken clip on, faring stay bent, snorkel cracked, Carbon chain guard and rear fender broken, some scuffs to the swingarm.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
That sucks! Glad you came out okay. I think that's a fear for a lot of folks in the intermediate and novice groups. You said you race so I imagine you were in the advance group. Was the rider-at-fault a rider who was moved up recently or just pure inattentiveness? In any case, glad you're doing alright, hope you don't have too much more damage to your body and have a speedy recovery.

#9 ·
The rider who initiated the crash said he'd been tracking for 8years and up to that point, never been involved in a crash. Basically just failed to realize the riders entry speeds in front of him and panicked, grabbing a fist full of front brake. It was just a simple mistake that snowballed very quickly I suppose

#4 ·
It definitely could've been far worse. Corner worker said he was surprised I even got back up after watching it all go down. Im still walking and talking. I was riding in Advanced group, rider 1 was on street tires and since it was only the beginning of the 2nd lap was going too hard yet. Rider 4 failed to realize that I suppose.

#7 ·
Wow DS, people get taken out all the time by another bike, but I've never heard of being taken out by 2. Not much you could've done to avoid it, glad you're mostly OK.

Racing should be safer but don't depend on that. On your guard at all times.
True this. I know a couple local racers that will take out anyone just to gain a position. The banhammer seems to be permanently locked away at our local club.

#11 ·
Heres a bit of an update to my situation also....

I was contacted last night by the guy who caused the crash last weekend at Gingerman. He left a 2 minute voicemail saying he was sorry for everything etc. I text him back letting him know im not mad, I just wish it hadnt happened. Ofcourse it was an accident, noone wants to crash, and also take out others.
Today he sends me decent amount of $ via PayPal to help me get my gear fixed/replaced. It doesn't cover it all but it definitely will help. Totally unexpected also! Says his bike is basically totalled but he would like to see me out there first. What a huge gesture! The track day/race community is very small and while im not sure how often an incident like mine happens, it shows you how tight our community really is, and just how willing everyone is to help out another rider.

#12 ·
Today he sends me decent amount of $ via PayPal to help me get my gear fixed/replaced. It doesn't cover it all but it definitely will help. Totally unexpected also! Says his bike is basically totalled but he would like to see me out there first. What a huge gesture! The track day/race community is very small and while im not sure how often an incident like mine happens, it shows you how tight our community really is, and just how willing everyone is to help out another rider.
This is HUGE. I'm sure you're well aware that he was under no obligation to do so. He pulled a dipshit move but that's downright saintly of him to pay you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.