Triumph 675 Forums banner

2015 Scorched Yellow 675R

27K views 62 replies 24 participants last post by  MGFChapin 
#1 · (Edited)
In late 2005, I saw photos of a new bike that was supposed to revolutionize the middleweight sportbike class. With its clean lines and monotone "gentelman's graphics," I immediately fell in love with it and promptly put a deposit on a 2006 scorched yellow Daytona 675. A few months later, I was one of the first owners in Washington state and I immediately realized the wait was well worth it.

3 years go by and I decide it's time to upgrade to the updated 09 model, but it didn't come in SY. I loved the color so much, I swapped bodywork and sold my 06 with brand new black 09 fairings.

I eventually got rid of my 675 to race an SV, but I always missed my Triumph. After riding a '13R, I loved the handling and performance but I didn't love the aesthetics as much as the simpler previous model's, so this year I finally decided to make my own.

Even though the original graphite color was supposed to be a limited edition and the rarest, scorched yellow actually sold the least. Call it "baby diarrhea yellow" if you will, but it has a cult-like following of which I am a committed member. There are lots of white and black 675R's at the tracks around here, so even if mine is ugly to some, at least it's unique.

So far it's got:
Race kit harness & ECU
Manual idle adjuster
Race kit alternator
APE manual CCT
Full Ti Akrapovic
PCV + Ignition Module
BMC race filter
Pirelli SC2's
Galfer GP brake lines
Brembo Z04 pads
Rizoma brake lever guard
Lightened rear brake rotor
Catalyst upper & lower race fairings
Sharkskinz SBK tail
Zero Gravity Corsa windscreen
Attack rear sets
Attack shock linkage
Techspecs
Driven SAI block-off plates
@Ditch Doctor's SAI resistor kit
@Thatkid's captive wheel spacers
@NJcustom's carbon tank guards
GB engine covers
520 chain kit
Sato shift spindle holder
Driven fuel cap
Motoholders fairing stay
SES lock stop plate
Ohlins damper w/ Apex Mfg mounting kit
Antigravity lithium battery
Swapped red subframe for gray

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I took both. Yes, the Triumph is fast as shit and yes, it's even better than I thought it would be, but I thought it would be so good I'd forget about the SV altogether. Riding the 650 right after though proved just how well set-up it is and now I'm on the fence about selling it. Argh!

#9 ·
That is one trick bike MGF! Really love the inspiration and quality of keeping with the scorched yellow so closely. I never liked it on previous gens, but this one is AMAZING

Got a question
I had trouble trying to get my catalyst upper to line up to the bolts up top. I of course had the frame sliders off to get the oem ferrings off, but when i was doing the catalyst, the mount point (im assuming also an engine mount point) bowed out the bodywork and i couldnt get the upper bolt parts to line up.
how did you get it to line up?
the upper and lower bolt sections (will be using dzus fasteners) lined up fine... just kinda struggling with this one.

I can upload pics later when i have a minute too.

and HUGE :thumbsup: for you pimping me up in the parts! haha! i got an advertising department and HE IS A RACER! how cool is that!

#11 ·
That is one trick bike MGF! Really love the inspiration and quality of keeping with the scorched yellow so closely. I never liked it on previous gens, but this one is AMAZING

Got a question
I had trouble trying to get my catalyst upper to line up to the bolts up top. I of course had the frame sliders off to get the oem ferrings off, but when i was doing the catalyst, the mount point (im assuming also an engine mount point) bowed out the bodywork and i couldnt get the upper bolt parts to line up.
how did you get it to line up?
the upper and lower bolt sections (will be using dzus fasteners) lined up fine... just kinda struggling with this one.

I can upload pics later when i have a minute too.

and HUGE :thumbsup: for you pimping me up in the parts! haha! i got an advertising department and HE IS A RACER! how cool is that!
Thanks dude, tons of credit goes to my awesome painter. Glad you found this thread, I wanted to tag you but I still haven't figured out how.

I had the Triumph frame sliders too but I ran into the same problem. I removed them and went back to the shorter, original engine mount bolts. I also removed the 2 fairing brackets directly over the cam cover (you have to remove the airbox to get them off). They got in the way of the Catalysts a little and I didn't want to drill more holes to get them to line up.

Hope that makes sense, post up pics later if you like.

#16 ·
Dude that's awesome and great backstory to why you went with this color scheme! I need to get started on my average Joe-smo mods list also! Looks great!

#17 ·
I gotta admit to being a chromo-hater, but each to their own. I love that this is a project close to your heart, and the sentimentality as well as the technical awesomeness makes me smile.

Looking forward to watching this develop!

#21 ·
Props on that YELLOW; best color triumph ever produced! If only they brought that color back with the latest bikes, would be all over that; maybe they will bring the Daytona back a couple of years from now starting with that scorched color 800cc; if not ,with the ST; or even that Limited LIME Green color? would be nice!!

#24 ·
Do you know by chance what paint and paint code your painter used? And how closely it matches oem sy plastics?

#26 ·
Thanks but not necessary. I found the paint code for the original paint, but apparently it's hard to get. I was hoping he found a way to mix up paint that's readily available and matched.

#27 · (Edited)
Due for an update. I've only managed to get to my regular track once on the new bike but I'm already a second faster than I managed on my old SV (now sold, BTW). Pretty happy with progress so far but I'd really like to perfect the set-up without having to spring for Attack triple clamps. Thankfully I'm not terribly fast so I'm optimistic about getting the bike 99% where I want it with this beauty and some more fiddling:

I'm also continuing work on a side-mount for the R/R but running into some snags. Hoping to have a solution before our season here is over in a month.

Attachments

#30 ·
How does she go with the AP Link. Is the difference noticeable and did you have to re-spring to suit the link etc?
First track day today with the new link and I'd say it was a success. Very noticeable difference and way more feedback than I've ever felt from a rear; looks like all the hype I've read is true. Now I need to figure out what the hell to do with all that info.

Shredded the rear a little but it was looking better towards the end of the day. Shouldn't have to change the spring but the valving still needs fine-tuning.

#32 ·
Mocked up the side-mounted R/R today and I'm liking it a lot better than shoving it loosely into the fairing or hiding it in the tail. It's just zip-tied for now, but at least I know everything fits easily with a few spacers behind the fairing mounts.

Sweet!!! I'll be moving mine too the side to... It's to hard to undo the RR where it originally located. Thanks for the pics.

#36 · (Edited)
The season has sadly wrapped up for me but it was a great finish terrorizing the big bikes at Thunderhill last month. Had my knobs twiddled by the great Dave Moss himself and my rear went from chewing up tires to this buttery smoothness:

I'm ecstatic to get the feel from the rear I was looking for with the Attack linkage without having to swap springs.

I'm not calling my girl fat by any means, but she's going on a strict weight-loss regimen over the winter. I have these bits ready to install (race harness, ECU & stator) so I can ditch the ABS, radiator fan and a few other soon-to-be vestigial parts. Can't wait to hit the dyno again.

Attachments

#37 · (Edited)
I've been a busy bee over the winter and my bike is finally ready for track season, which unfortunately for me is still at least 2 months away.

After a bit of frustration with what turned out to be a faulty ECU, the bike is running stronger than ever and impressed at the dyno last week. Strongest 675 my local dyno guy has seen. Here's what I've been up to:
Race harness & ECU
SES lock stop plates
Manual idle adjuster
Race alternator
BMC air filter
Lightened rear rotor
Galfer brake lines, GP fronts
HRC-style rear reservoir
Brembo Z04 front pads
APE manual CCT
Rizoma brake lever guard
Carbon tank guards from @NJcustom

Attachments

#40 ·
Bone stock motor. The full Akra makes up a big portion of that gain - like TJ said, not many companies can hydro-form titanium. Seems the kit alternator is worth about another 3 hp and the BMC filter is maybe 1/2 to 1.

I intend on keeping this bike as reliable as possible, so motor work is pretty much out of the question. I have been toying with the idea of superfinishing though, which will give me a slight HP gain and would actually improve reliability. Another, more expensive option to get a few extra ponies would be some BST wheels, if they even make them for 2013+. All those will have to wait til 2018 at the earliest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.