Triumph 675 Forums banner

Track... Keep street triple or get tack Daytona.

16K views 40 replies 20 participants last post by  b_palmer22 
#1 ·
So I'm kind of at a crossroads. I've got the track bug bad. My street triple is modded to the teeth. Daytona R rear shock, Daytona cams, exhaust modded. I'm at the point where I want a dedicated race bike. Should I turn my street triple into a race bike ala the cup triples or buy a Daytona and slap race farings on it. The suspension will have to be done on the front of the street triple. Any opinions? As far as race bodywork I was thinking about getting a Daytona sub frame and putting on a Daytona race tail since I've got a competition werkes exhaust any how. How much am I giving up keeping the street triple?

#3 ·
For a dedicated track bike - easy decision, go with a Daytona. That's like knowing you are going to be cutting a lot of trees and buy an axe instead of a chainsaw. Or use leaves instead of toilet paper. Or use your hand instead of ......

First gen D675's are getting pretty cheap compared to Street Triples, I'd go that route for sure.

#4 ·
ha ha, I am at the same crossroads (though I have an aluminium Daytona rear sub-frame and race seat, as well as Daytona rearsets with offset plates to gain a bit more ground clearance)

except for the street handlebar vs. clip-on and the slightly different geometry (not sure this is such an advantage for the Daytona), you would gain a few miles per hour in the long straights with the Daytona mostly due to fairings, but that's about it.

With daytona cams and a few mods (e.g. headers, race air filter and air restrictor removed, rev limiter raised to 13'000 rpm) with the proper tune, I usually keep up with the Daytonas and most 600cc supersport, unless the track has a very very long straight

#5 ·
I've been pretty much exclusively tracking my Street Triple for the past 4 years. Fairings are a personal choice and you don't gain much unless there is a very long straight away. I'm still pulling stock Daytonas and mildly modded and most 600s at the end of our straight away at 145mph. On a huge plus side our bikes have better steering geometry then a Daytona. To get what we have you need Attack triple trees on a Daytona. Suspension wise unless you get a Daytona R then you need to mod the suspension anyways. As for brakes again you need a newer model to have better and even then you'll want an aftermarket Brembo master if you want the best and you can put the Yamaha mono bloc calipers on and have brakes better then any stock Daytona.

What I'm saying is no matter what route you go you're going to need to put a lot of money into it and you're already part way there with your street. If you go Daytona you need go newer to have anything better. At minimum an 09+ and really you should be looking at least an R which is a couple years newer yet.

I've never put a list of accessories up for my bike but honestly most of them are the same things you want on a Daytona and if you get a Daytona later on you can always swap them even with a 2013. I'll give it a go on the parts list. These are only the parts that affect track performance.

Daytona Cams
Arrow 3n1
Renthal Clipons
Brembo RCS
Yamaha Monoblocs
Speigler front brake lines
Attack Rearsets
DID Rental 520 conversion
Penske Shock
GP Forks
2012 Oil/Water pump
Alien Motion Lithium Battery
Bazzaz Quickshifter
Custom dyno tune

There are a lot of other things but they have don't affect performance i.e. sliders and engine protection. As my bike sits right now it's 380lbs with a 90% full tank and I can still pop my headlights on in about 3 minutes and take it out on the street if I wanted. Which I do every spring just to work out the bugs from my changes over the winter. If I were to do a full track strip of the bike without race fairings I'm sure it could get down to around 360lbs. Body works just ads weight unless you are looking at a lot of long straights.

With all that said though I do plan on having a dedicated track Daytona some day. I'll transfer most of my parts over to the Daytona and keep the Street Triple for road riding and maybe as a backup bike. First thing I'll buy for the Daytona though will be Attack triples.

#7 ·
I've been pretty much exclusively tracking my Street Triple for the past 4 years. Fairings are a personal choice and you don't gain much unless there is a very long straight away. I'm still pulling stock Daytonas and mildly modded and most 600s at the end of our straight away at 145mph. On a huge plus side our bikes have better steering geometry then a Daytona. To get what we have you need Attack triple trees on a Daytona. Suspension wise unless you get a Daytona R then you need to mod the suspension anyways. As for brakes again you need a newer model to have better and even then you'll want an aftermarket Brembo master if you want the best and you can put the Yamaha mono bloc calipers on and have brakes better then any stock Daytona.

What I'm saying is no matter what route you go you're going to need to put a lot of money into it and you're already part way there with your street. If you go Daytona you need go newer to have anything better. At minimum an 09+ and really you should be looking at least an R which is a couple years newer yet.

I've never put a list of accessories up for my bike but honestly most of them are the same things you want on a Daytona and if you get a Daytona later on you can always swap them even with a 2013. I'll give it a go on the parts list. These are only the parts that affect track performance.

Daytona Cams
Arrow 3n1
Renthal Clipons
Brembo RCS
Yamaha Monoblocs
Speigler front brake lines
Attack Rearsets
DID Rental 520 conversion
Penske Shock
GP Forks
2012 Oil/Water pump
Alien Motion Lithium Battery
Bazzaz Quickshifter
Custom dyno tune

There are a lot of other things but they have don't affect performance i.e. sliders and engine protection. As my bike sits right now it's 380lbs with a 90% full tank and I can still pop my headlights on in about 3 minutes and take it out on the street if I wanted. Which I do every spring just to work out the bugs from my changes over the winter. If I were to do a full track strip of the bike without race fairings I'm sure it could get down to around 360lbs. Body works just ads weight unless you are looking at a lot of long straights.

With all that said though I do plan on having a dedicated track Daytona some day. I'll transfer most of my parts over to the Daytona and keep the Street Triple for road riding and maybe as a backup bike. First thing I'll buy for the Daytona though will be Attack triples.
I think we all deserve pics.

#9 ·
My answer was based on the assumption the OP was going to acquire a second bike. Comparing the same year-to-year model, used Daytona's (excluding the 675-R), are cheaper than Street Triples (going street price - not NADA or MSRP). At least in the Midwest, it's an easy $1,000 or more difference. Considering that the D675 already has the clip-ons, higher rearsets, wind protection, just saves that much more money vs converting the Streety to a more track oriented riding position.

#13 ·
Headlights stay off for track season. I have extended the main harness connection so that they stick out over the radiator so they are easy to unplug. There are two bolts and and two electrical plugs to remove the headlights. With my current setup it can be done in under a minute. Stock I could do it in about 3 minutes but going back together took about 5 as it's tricky to get them back together behind the radiator above the motor.

I'm usually on the track once or twice a month.

#16 ·
I've been debating hard on selling the STR, but its just such a good all around bike. It hurts me to consider getting rid of it. And the market for them is pretty weak currently. I figure I'd get maybe 7k at the most out of it. If I went that route I'd go for an R. But I've been keeping my eye open for a cheap track only daytona. Got more bike flipping to do looks like so I can buy one!

#17 ·
In my opinion if you already have the bike then keep it and set it up for track use. The only thing that would change that decision would be if you absolutely need wind protection. I track mine exclusively but I like naked bikes. Besides its fun to roll past dedicated race bikes on a naked bike.

#19 ·
In my opinion if you already have the bike then keep it and set it up for track use. The only thing that would change that decision would be if you absolutely need wind protection. I track mine exclusively but I like naked bikes.Besides its fun to roll past dedicated race bikes on a naked bike.
This is spot on, if you want to be lower down on the bike then swap on some clip-ons.. if you are looking to jump on a daytona, find a 13+ as they have a stronger motor stock than what you have, or what typical 09-12 675's have with a full system, air filter & tune.

#20 ·
Yes you could but going that route you're sending money you wouldn't need to if you had a Daytona so you could just save that and use it towards buying a Tona. Everything else rearsets, brakes, even clipons I see as parts that many would want to swap out on the Daytona eventually so it's break even which way you go. Hope that makes sense.

#21 ·
#26 ·
So I just did my 5th day of the year on the street triple, and it really amazes me every time. Seriously the daytona cams really make a huge difference on this bike. The smoothness, and power make for a fantastic track bike. Plus, eating 600's for lunch on a strait makes me smile every damn time. The Street Triple really shocks a lot of people with how capable it is. Still got the wants for a daytona though!

#27 ·
Wondering about longevity of the ST engine? Even if you put Daytona cams in it the rpm's are lower. Sure you can raise the rev limit up but to my knowledge doesn't the Daytona have different pistons and rods to accommodate the higher revs? Guessing cranking a ST to 13k isn't going to last very long.

I race a Daytona and took my street triple on the track to coach a novice track day. I was constantly banging off the rev limiter without the extra rpm's. If you ever got into racing, the extra rpm's mean a lot. I do hit some tracks with long straights where even on the Daytona I'm close to the Rev limit in 6th gear

#28 ·
Factory spec is 13k for the street triple. Check the manual. They have the same oiling system as a Daytona that's the main thing you need to worry about for longevity. The rods and piston are critical for high piston speeds which isn't an issue since we're not raising them above spec. Also a lot of early Street Triples apparently have the same pistons and rods as the Daytona. Even if they don't or you have a later model there are a lot of 600s out there that have cast parts and rev to 14k. If you're worried about longevity make sure you use good oil change it often and upgrade your oil/water pump.

#30 ·
I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep your oil level at the proper level which is high on the stick for the early bikes.

Yes the Yamaha calipers are better but for the riding you're describing I wouldn't bother. The RCS19 Brembo master makes the biggest difference. It's has an amazing tight lever with great feel. The Yamaha calipers tighten things up a bit more and have no drag. Where as all Triumph calipers even the Brembo ones have quite a bit of drag.

#35 ·
I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep your oil level at the proper level which is high on the stick for the early bikes.

Yes the Yamaha calipers are better but for the riding you're describing I wouldn't bother. The RCS19 Brembo master makes the biggest difference. It's has an amazing tight lever with great feel. The Yamaha calipers tighten things up a bit more and have no drag. Where as all Triumph calipers even the Brembo ones have quite a bit of drag.
Thanks a lot man... concise and precise information, exactly what I'm always looking for :smile2:.

#32 ·
Putting Daytona cams in a Street Triple does not make it peak like a Daytona. The header length on the Street is what gives it more midrange than a Daytona and that doesn't change. If you look at the dyno charts I've posted my bike flattens out before redline where as a built Daytona continues to build all the way to redline. However for the level of build I'm at I have just as much power as a Daytona just at about 1k lower in rpm. However if you're saying you want to do a full supersport build and go pro racing than I would get the Daytona. Up here though if I wanted to go novice racing I have plenty of power not for expert though.

So what I'm saying is the bike is reliable with just cams and exhaust and little tweaks. If you want to build a superport bike then you'll need the rods and pistons along with a higher redline.

#38 ·
"Wondering about longevity of the ST engine? Even if you put Daytona cams in it the rpm's are lower. Sure you can raise the rev limit up but to my knowledge doesn't the Daytona have different pistons and rods to accommodate the higher revs? Guessing cranking a ST to 13k isn't going to last very long. ... "

Seems like longevity is a valid question. I mean "the new cylinder block that’s now separate from the upper crankcase and lined with ceramic-coated aluminum bores ..." and "... Titanium valves ..." (from cycle world review article dated 11/13/2012) must add to durability of the 2013+ 675D motor.

#39 ·
Updating this thread. Things happened. Got myself a project. 13 D675R 2500mi, clean title....2k

#41 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.