Triumph 675 Forums banner

Training hard

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Zen 
#1 ·
See less See more
#4 ·
I've come to enjoy them now... well, not really, but I've gotten better at hopping in an ice bath now than when I first started to do them. The worst part is getting in. But once you're in its downhill from there.

#11 ·
To reduce inflammation, lower temperature and reduce blood flow... Lots of things.

Think of an ankle sprain if you had one, immediately blood flows frantically to the area, followed by inflammation (area gets hot) and swelling, so ice helps those things.

In this case, after working out hard we tear our muscle fibers at a micro level, and have a higher body temp especially at the muscles we worked, so the same idea applies even if you don't have a serious injury. Don't get me started on what it does for our joints..

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#12 ·
I also heard that when you jump in, all the blood in your extremeties pools back around your vital organs bringing all of the acids and waste with it from tearing your muscles during the workout and it gets cycled through your liver or something. Its supposed to help prevent you from becoming sore after a workout...

I dont really know since I have never tried it. Just remember hearing it.

#13 ·
From my readings about this a while ago there are mixed reviews on this method, and some research has shown it to actually do nothing for you and can sometimes increase recovery time, but then I know of another research done on runners that showed it did help with their performance.

Found a good link summing up from what I have read
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/sampleworkouts/a/Ice-Bath.htm

I used to do it when I play soccer, but for weight lifting I never do it and while my legs always hurt, I just have tried to make my diet way more healthy and eat what my body needs to recover and it is seeming to do the job just fine.

I personally just hate being cold so I steer clear of it lol

And a new report from this year also states it does nothing
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/nov/08/ice-bath-exercise-new-research

#14 ·
Well not every diet plan works for everyone either, peoples bodies react to the exact same thing in different ways. Maybe for some people this works and for others it doesn't? I am really not too sure as I have never tried it.....I would be severely pissed off if I spent 10-15min in a tub of ice and it did nothing or even increased my recovery time lol.

When I read into it I got so many mixed reviews also that just lead me to not even bother trying it. After spending 5yrs in the military my knees are hammered, especially for someone my age at 24yrs old. I used to run 4mi a day and after the 3rd day when I got home after the run my knees just felt inflamed and stopped running and now I either do the eliptical or the pedal bike.

We ran so much in the military that I am over it, I think the best full body cardio workout you can get period that doesn't tear up your body is swimming! I have thought about swimming but I am so terrible at it that I don't want people to look at me funny at the gym because I look like a wounded duck in the water lol

#16 ·
I'm a long distance runnner, I ran in college, and an ice bath was phenomenal after a hard workout. I still try and do it sometimes in my bathtub, though it's not the same as the tubs the trainers had you could just stand up in. Glorious.

MotoGP riders weights and heights vary. Here are a few:
Valentino Rossi - 147lbs (67kg), 5'11" (181cm)
Ben Spies - 156lbs (71kg), 5'10" (180cm)
Dani Pedrosa - 112lbs (51kg), 5'3" (160cm)
Jorge Lorenzo - 143lbs (65kg), 5'8" (172cm)
Nicky Hayden - 152lbs (69kg), 5'8" (173cm)

These can be found on motogp.com

Is it just me, or is it weird that Nicky Hayden weighs 69kg...? :biggrinjester:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.