Triumph 675 Forums banner

Helmet Opinions

13K views 69 replies 28 participants last post by  cvrle1 
#1 ·
Hello you beautiful people.

I recently crashed my current helmet (Icon Airmada) which I've had for around 5 years, so I'm looking for a new lid. I have a few in mind, but want peoples' opinions on my options or others I've overlooked. I ride street only now, but want something that could work for a trackday or two if I get interested.

Options I'm considering:

1) Shark Speed-R. Looks like a nice quality helmet and I like the features, especially the removable pads for eyeglasses

2) Shoe RF-1200. Good heritage and brand etc, light.

3) Arai Vector 2. Good brand again.

4) AGV maybe? I don't know.

So I'm looking for $400-$450ish, nice quality and obviously fit and comfort are really important.

Before anyone says, I can't go to a place and try on the helmets myself because somehow there are zero shops that stock helmets around me. I think I'll do Revzilla for the free return if a helmet doesn't fit right. Or rider's discount, since they're so loved on this forum :)

See less See more
#2 ·
#4 ·
Hello you beautiful people.

I recently crashed my current helmet (Icon Airmada) which I've had for around 5 years, so I'm looking for a new lid. I have a few in mind, but want peoples' opinions on my options or others I've overlooked. I ride street only now, but want something that could work for a trackday or two if I get interested.

Options I'm considering:

1) Shark Speed-R. Looks like a nice quality helmet and I like the features, especially the removable pads for eyeglasses

2) Shoe RF-1200. Good heritage and brand etc, light.

3) Arai Vector 2. Good brand again.

4) AGV maybe? I don't know.

So I'm looking for $400-$450ish, nice quality and obviously fit and comfort are really important.

Before anyone says, I can't go to a place and try on the helmets myself because somehow there are zero shops that stock helmets around me. I think I'll do Revzilla for the free return if a helmet doesn't fit right. Or rider's discount, since they're so loved on this forum :)
Of those helmets you listed, they are of considerable different shapes, i.e. it the Shoei fits you the Shark won't. You are looking at some really nice options though. :thumbup: STG and Revzilla both have pretty good video reviews that will help. Where do you live?

#5 ·
I own the RF1200. It is definitely a light, comfortable, and quiet helmet. Sometimes I dislike it as it seems like it is a huge helmet. Makes me feel like a bobble head. That subsides when I remember I am well protected with a properly fit helmet.

#6 ·
Before you can pick a brand try to determine what your head shape is. That will really narrow down your choices. Then determine your size then brand options. You may be able to get some insights by determining what your last helmet shape was then to go from there. Revzilla or other shops may be a big help if you can describe how your Icon Airmada fit.

This site might also be of some help to see other helmets with a similar shape.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm

#10 ·
It seems like I'm on the rounder side of intermediate oval. From what I've read a lot of helmets are made with intermediate oval in mind, so I guess I will either (a) fit just fine in an intermediate oval or (b) be really uncomfortable unless I can adjust some padding or something.

#11 ·
It seems like I'm on the rounder side of intermediate oval. From what I've read a lot of helmets are made with intermediate oval in mind, so I guess I will either (a) fit just fine in an intermediate oval or (b) be really uncomfortable unless I can adjust some padding or something.
Maybe this will help if you can find one of these to try. I own 2 and have tried the others:

Shoei RF-1200 (very intermediate oval)
Arai RX-Q (just a tad more round than the Shoei)
Bell RS-1 (just a tad more round than the Shoei / about same as the Arai)
HJC RPHA-10 (a little more round than either the Arai or Bell)

When trying one on, try to fit it with the cheek pads removed. Go by the crown of your head where it fits the EPS to determine the best shape. I don't know if Bell or HJC offers different cheek pads or not, but Arai and Shoei do.

#14 ·
I admit I am completely biased and make no excuses for it: Arai.
Family owned and operated, all helmets are hand crafted, five different shell shapes, removable / washable interiors... and more

Make sure you get the right fit and shell shape - Improper fit = a lot of problems.

The folks at The Service Pavilion directed me to this video, the helmet models have changed but the importance of correct fit and size have not.
http://www.araiamericas.com/default.aspx?pageid=92

Price? Well... if you can afford to buy a motorcycle, you can afford the best protection, right?

#15 ·
Why is everyone saying the rf1200 is light, it's one of these heaviest "high end" helmets I've ever touched. 2 of my friends say the same thing; one of them owns a extra small rf1200 and it's heavier than my medium rpha10 & exo-500, friend's medium rx-q, friend's exo-1100.

#17 ·
Per WebBikeWorld:

RF-1100....................Large weighs 1746 grams
Scorpion EXO-500...... Large weighs 1662 grams
RF-1200....................Large weighs 1608 grams
Arai RXQ ...................Large weighs 1597 grams
HJC RPHA10 ..............Large weighs 1534 grams

They are all pretty darn close. Shell balance and aerodynamics will have a far greater impact at this point than weight. Keep in mind, the HJC only comes in 3 shells, so if you want a Medium, you will actually be getting a Large with a thicker EPS. The RF-1200 comes in 4 shells, so you would actually get a lighter (smaller) shell than what is listed above (Medium RF-1200 is 1594 grams). The Arai comes in 5 shell sizes, so expect a similar reduction in weight (too much trouble to find the RX-Q in grams, lol).

#51 ·
Just to rattle TWW valves a bit - not all "helmets are light as shit" take a look at the list above there is almost a 1/2 pound spread, that is noticeable. Now look at the Icon Carbon RR and my Xpeed Carbon both at 1450 grams, this is 300 grams lighter than the RF-1100, my previous helmet, and I can really feel that 2/3 of a pound. To my surprise it is more comfy than the Shoei and both were perfect fits.

#19 ·
Interesting notes about the HJC RPHA-10. I just bought one at a great deal (TJ @ RidersDiscount) and the helmet is absolutely beautiful, but for a medium, I thought it would be a little smaller is size. It makes sense that they're using the large shell. That aside, it's super light and seems very well made. We'll see how she rides (haven't spun it yet) but at $199 I really couldn't go wrong.

#22 ·
Interesting notes about the HJC RPHA-10. I just bought one at a great deal (TJ @ RidersDiscount) and the helmet is absolutely beautiful, but for a medium, I thought it would be a little smaller is size. It makes sense that they're using the large shell. That aside, it's super light and seems very well made. We'll see how she rides (haven't spun it yet) but at $199 I really couldn't go wrong.
Yepper. Wasn't trying to knock the RPHA, it's absolutely a fine helmet. Just shedding a little light on some things. Some people like to rag on the prices of Shoei and Arai, but don't understand all the facts.

Decipher - sounds like you got a great deal! :thumbup:

#24 ·
I sold my Shoei helmets after I bought the Bell RS-1 (free $120 transitions shield as part of the deal)...
The old marketing pitch of "you get what you pay for" hasn't been true in decades. There are lots of items that are value priced which out perform their more expensive competitors. Helmets are one example of this.
It's still pretty true. You can't make this statement in fairness when you buy a good quality product on a great sale. Add the $120 shield to the average MSRP of an RS-1 ($400 or more) and now you are looking at a total expenditure of over $500.

Shop around enough or wait for the right time of the year and you can get any hi-end helmet way cheaper than the big MSRP that is flaunted around. Sure, there are anomalies in anything when it comes to purchase price vs quality, but there are typically valid reasons things cost what they do. The marketplace is pretty quick to weed out non-performers.

#23 ·
I think it's a sick deal and I certainly like the helmet as far as I can tell. No ragging at all. I appreciate the information about the shell size. I mean, I know I have a big head (metaphorically) but it makes perfect sense to me as to why the helmet looks the way it looks.

#25 ·
Plus, once you ad in the price of R&D, it can begin to add up. I'd rather pay a little more for a helmet that's been put through its paces rather than saving a few dollars because someone ripped off a design.

The flip side to that is sometimes just paying for brand recognition. There's a line anyone needs to draw in the sand when it comes to purchasing anything.

#31 ·
What I did was look for a sale on my Bell Vortex & RS1. I spent roughly 325 for both brand new. You can get ev. Better 'values' if you shop around and check the sale sections. Also just ask TJ he may be able to get you a deal in something ... That will protect your head and not hurt your wallet!

09 ST3R

#34 ·
irony :grin:

Now for my experience with bell.

Bell star was on closeout. dealers, people I know, I even called the people who were closeout selling, asking about fitment. ALL of them said Bell fits similar to Arai. I had a Corsair V and fit perfect, so I bought the Bell Star. Whaddaya know, it was a half size too big! Apparently they had a bad batch of Stars where the measurements were wrong. They would not replace it, as it was on closeout, was too old (sat on the shelf 2 years, when I bought it, but it was new).
In addition, the alcantara on the cheek pads retain sweat. Even after turning it upside down, the next day it is still funky.

Talk about r&d. Sorry but I dont share your sentiment about Bell, even if they are an American company.
Could the RS-1 be a different shell or have different interior? My comments were specifically about the RS-1 not the Star.

I don't know if Bell is an American company, but the CS woman I spoke with was in Wisconsin or somewhere near there. CS is a big deal.

#35 · (Edited)
The original Bell Stars were sized wrong...My first was a small that fit like a medium, my 2nd is a medium that fits like a medium. I bought both online, but prior to buying the first one I did a little research on the web and found out very quickly about the sizing issue. All the 2008 build Bell Stars would hopefully be long sold, but you never know.

#38 ·
Plot twist.....

He buy's a Bilt helmet and says **** all of our opinions.

#45 ·
More money = better overall quality; usually. I pay for quality.

#47 ·
Haha, nice rebuttal. I'm all ears once you show some support :whistle:

Agree, I wear a Bell also (RS-1). None of these "tests" are as realistic as "race crash" testing going on every weekend. Are saying that Gmax can pay Marquez enough to race in that $99 helmet? :smile:
All I'm saying is it makes business sense for the manufacturers to push their more expensive helmets, better margins. I'm not disagreeing the more expensive helmets aren't nicer, but from a pure protection standpoint, there is no difference. Sure if I'm a professional racer why wouldn't I take the nicer helmet! Better liner, better air flow, more aerodynamic, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.