Triumph 675 Forums banner

Ready for the dream bike

2K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  stanga5o 
#1 ·
I registered here a few years ago with the intent of purchasing a daytona, a few things got in the way (fiancé and I called it quits, switched jobs, was depressed for a while and other things) I finally decided to start riding late last year just to get it off of my bucket list. After a ton of research you folks convinced me that a D675 wasn't the best beginner bike. I ended up picking up an SV650 from a friend of mine and have since put a little over 15K on it, I absolutely love this hobby and I don't see myself quitting anytime soon. Over the last three months I've been riding the local socal canyons a few times a week, while my SV650 has been a great time I've always felt it lacking on power (my car made 648rwhp on the old set up) I feel like I'm ready to make the jump to a bigger bike....

All of my riding buddies (about 6-10) swear up and down that japanese bikes are the way to go and while I respect their opinions the D675 has always been the bike that I've kept my eye on (going on 4 years) any who I'm currently in the market for my new bike and I'm wondering if the 2013+ bikes are really worth the extra cash? I'm also wondering if I should take a non R version with mods vs a stock R version? I'm keeping my SV650 for my daily bike so I will occasionally ride this thing to work/school but it'll mainly be a canyon/weekend/track toy. My first track day is in november and I'm very excited. Anything I should look out for when purchasing a used D675? Thanks for reading through my long post I'm just finally excited to pick up the bike I've been lusting over for years now.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/5140982709.html

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/5130799262.html

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/5086030770.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/mcy/5100891285.html

These are a few that Ive been looking at opinions?

See less See more
#2 ·
I came off an SV650 as well. The D675 is the perfect upgrade; you'll keep the torque but add a lot of top end power.

Reliability: Japanese all the way. Character: Daytona hands down! You may have seen my post further down but I absolutely LOVE this bike!! I put 44k on it so far and will try to keep it as long as possible. I could maybe consider the BMW S1000RR as a replacement but very high chance I'll end up with another Daytona.

I don't think there is a huge advantage to any particular model year. I'd be aware of the "too long dipstick" issue on the '06-'08 models. The earlier models also have a pretty weak charging system (mainly R/R going bad). R vs. Non-R: unless you really push the bike, I don't think the R is a must have. I have a regular '08 SE and I'm very happy with it.

I think all of the bikes you listed would be worth a look. I would decide based on maintenance history and potentially mods you like. For me personally, helibars and tank pads are a must have. The stock riding position is just too aggressive for the street.

#7 ·
I came off an SV650 as well. The D675 is the perfect upgrade; you'll keep the torque but add a lot of top end power.

Reliability: Japanese all the way. Character: Daytona hands down! You may have seen my post further down but I absolutely LOVE this bike!! I put 44k on it so far and will try to keep it as long as possible. I could maybe consider the BMW S1000RR as a replacement but very high chance I'll end up with another Daytona.

I don't think there is a huge advantage to any particular model year. I'd be aware of the "too long dipstick" issue on the '06-'08 models. The earlier models also have a pretty weak charging system (mainly R/R going bad). R vs. Non-R: unless you really push the bike, I don't think the R is a must have. I have a regular '08 SE and I'm very happy with it.

I think all of the bikes you listed would be worth a look. I would decide based on maintenance history and potentially mods you like. For me personally, helibars and tank pads are a must have. The stock riding position is just too aggressive for the street.
It'll most likely see a lot of track days and a TON of canyon rides. I want to say Im riding canyons three or so times a week right now, the R isn't an absolute necessity but damn does it look good lol. Its good to see I'm not the only SV owner who admires the triumph, honestly reliability is the only thing holding me back from making the jump

If you're trying to get the same feeling as your car by upping to the Daytona from your sv, you'll be let down. If you want that kind of acceleration might as well go liter bike. Daytona is quicker yes but it isn't going to be a rocket compared to your sv.
I've also looked at the S1000rr but I'm not sure I'm ready to commit to the power of a liter bike just yet I'm sure the 50+HP increase will be more than enough to keep me content for a while

Not insane acceleration but I'd say it's a pretty dramatic difference with an SV650! I believe it's about the same amount of torque but you're jumping from 72hp to 126hp. That is HUGE!
54 horsepower seems like it'll make a big difference, I can't wait to see how much faster I am with a bike that actually has good suspension lol

Yea in the top end of course. But that is useless unless he is only wanted it for track purposes. If he's using that top end on the street he's and ******* and an idiot. No offense OP but speaking generally for anyone.
The bike will see a lot of track/canyon time but I'm a pretty responsible guy so I don't see myself going WOT on the streets very often

#3 ·
If you're trying to get the same feeling as your car by upping to the Daytona from your sv, you'll be let down. If you want that kind of acceleration might as well go liter bike. Daytona is quicker yes but it isn't going to be a rocket compared to your sv.

#8 ·
So, $.02...

I'm also a former SV650 guy. The Daytona is definitely a nice upgrade - especially at the track. To be honest, I missed my SV quite a bit after I sold it. The low end torque and the ability to give the throttle a good twist on the street without breaking the law was nice. As such, I added a Shiver to the stable about 6 months after buying the Daytona. So...glad to hear you are keeping the SV as your around town bike. It's perfect for that role.

Base vs R
The base model is great and will easily handle more than the vast majority of riders can throw at it (I have a base myself). That said, you can pick up a used R for for far less than what it will take to buy a used base and upgrade to R performance. The suspension alone would cost you over $2k new. Do you NEED it? No. Is it a great upgrade? YES. I've had my bike on the track with the stock suspension and with an Ohlins TTX. The difference is very noticeable. The Ohlins stuff inspires confidence and makes you feel glued to the pavement. The quick shifter is also a pretty sweet toy on the track. I've spent more money upgrading my bike to compare to the R than I would have spent paying extra for an R up front. If it were me, I'd definitely go for the R.

2013 vs Earlier
The 2013 engine is a nice upgrade. It makes the same power out of the box that you'll get out of a pre-2013 with full system, filter, and tune. So, if power is important, you have to consider weighing the extra cost of a 2013 vs the three things I noted. If you like to tinker and tune and want control of the ECU you'll need to go pre-2013. The 2013+ ECU is locked down.

Things you might consider:
If you are wanting to do lots of track days you might consider looking for a bike with some extras. You'll probably want rearsets and track bodywork. Sometimes you can find a bike for sale that includes one or the other or both. You might be able to save some $ that way as these items don't seem to add much of a price increase to sale amounts.

As for the liter bike comments:
The Daytona isn't a speed demon. A liter bike is faster for sure. Still, I'd say the Daytona is probably a better bike for a track beginner. It gets you thinking about carrying good speed into a corner and driving out of corners early. The beginners on liter bikes seem to be slow at developing their cornering abilities. They putt around in corners and then blast on the straights. I'm not a fan of those guys. I work and work to get around them in a corner only to watch them fly by on the long straights. If you do get a liter bike, don't be that guy :wink3:

#9 ·
In fact, if you do really want a liter bike, the S1000RR is probably the one to get. Lots of technology to save your ass. It's probably safer than the Daytona because of all the tech goodies.

For me personally, I don't feel the need for more power. It is more than enough. I love the bike as the whole package, just so involving to ride! I feel like I ride my Ninja 1000 whereas I'm part of the 'tona but that could just be because I am very used to it by now.

#10 ·
Also, reliability wise, it’s still not up to par with Japanese bikes but not awful either. The only time the bike left me stranded in 40k mi is when the stator went out. That was not cool since it was 8pm in the dark on the 405 fwy. Even then it still gave me some warning as the headlights went out first, so I could still pull over before the fuel pump died.

#11 ·
I have seen several Japanese bikes that lost their stators though so its not like its a unique problem to the 675. I also agree that I'm no where near using the performance that my 675 has so a liter bike would be a waste. My 675 is the best riding motorcycle I have ever owned. Additionally OP I wish I had seen these listings a few weeks ago because I just bought my 2nd daytona an 10 SE blue and white daytona and I would have snatched up that blue and gold 2011 model in a heartbeat.

#12 ·
They are not unreliable....take care of it and itll take care of you. Maintenance is key but that goes for every bike. Things will break as it is a machine but in my opinion the Daytona seems damn near par with most Japanese bikes...just not quite there. I wouldn't worry so much about reliability in this instance, more I'd worry about parts availability. In Socal (San Diego) southbay motors will have everything u would need. If you like the bike after u ride it...I'd say buy it.

#13 ·
The stator may not be too uncommon on other bikes but the R/R most definitely was a subpar unit on the earlier models. That said, easily fixed with swapping it with another unit. I use the one from a Yamaha R1.

Parts availability is indeed an issue if something breaks. 5-10 business days is the normal time frame for most parts.

Don't see this as a huge problem especially if you have a second bike.

#14 ·
I agree that reliability is relative to maintenance. The daytona may be less forgiving of poor maintenance, idk. I'm not the best at it myself. But I'm not afraid to try. Your only reason to not get the bike you lust over had better not be your friends telling you otherwise. It is an awesome machine.

#17 ·
Just in case I decide to go with a bike that doesn't have any mods I have a few questions. Will a full exhaust require a tune? Any real difference in going with a full vs slip on? Any fender eliminators that won't move the plate to close to the bottom of the wheel? I live in Pasadena the cops are always looking for any and all excuses to pull you over. Last but not least I'll probably end up buying a nice set of levers (ASV vs the current eBay knock offs on my SV) and I'm wondering which parts fit the bike I want? Will 06-12 parts all fit the same?

#18 ·
Yes to all your questions except your r will use different levers cause of Brembo and your windscreen is different from Gen 1.

Reactions: S197FTW
#19 ·
Also, ride it stock for a bit to see how you like it. The fender is not terribly big on the Daytona. Stock exhaust sounds great and is already pretty loud. I rode one with aftermarket exhaust and holy crap, they get REALLY loud; definitely draws a lot of attention. It sounds amazing but I've decided against it and happy I did.

#20 ·
I've had a SV650s for 5 years and just got a Daytona 675R this year. You'll love the Daytona! I still have my SV because I told myself I'd use it for street/commuting and the Daytona for weekends. Well I've put over 4k miles on the Daytona and about 200 on the SV since I got the Daytona. Pretty sure I'm going to sell the SV..

The torque of the SV makes it fun on the street, but the gears are so short and the engine drops off around 9-10k RPM. The Daytona really moves when you get it over 10k RPM, but it's still fun around town at legal speeds. The Daytona does pretty much everything better than the SV, but that's not to say the SV isn't still a blast to ride. And the sounds the Daytona make are awesome!

My Daytona is a 14 and has been really reliable so far, with only an adjustment to the exhaust valve after break in. There are a couple of spots on the cases that are weeping oil, but nothing I'm concerned about. Seems the later generations are very reliable and the common issues are well known.

Good luck finding the right one and post up pictures when you do!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.