Triumph 675 Forums banner

Rectifier - Fried ECU help

8K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Ruby Racing 
#1 ·
Hi all,

New poster, and as I'm sure is often the case, a problem leads me to a forum for help...

I have a 2006 Graphite Grey 675 acquired from my mate a year ago who had it from new, it has 8.5k miles on the clock. Love the bike, the noise, the look, how it goes on the track, all great.

Long story short, I was at Snetterton the other week and engine light came on, it then stuttered, it then died mid way through my 1st lap. Back at the pits, discovered that the battery had swelled and popped. Back at home discovered (mostly from on here) that it's likely a rectifier issue which overcharged the battery and most likely sent a similar high voltage to other electrical components.

Current status (after disconnecting alarm which kept popping fuses) - dash lights come on, tacho sweeps but no fuel pump prime, no engine management light, no neutral light and no gear indicator on dash - then obviously no starting etc.

Current conclusion - rectifier needs replacing and I believe the ECU is gone too because it won't do the basic initial startup stuff, plus I bought the DealerTool software and I get no communication.

I have contacted the Triumph dealer where it was last serviced, but to be fair, they owe me nothing and have so far only suggested bringing it in to take a look. I'm not so keen on the clock and hourly rate ticking by while they figure what to do with it.

So, in addition to any other advice from anyone, the big question is, can I just buy an ECU from Ebay, which seem to be about 1/10 the price Triumph want, plug it in and all will be rosy, or does the ECU need to be matched somehow to the clocks? I've searched this and many other forums plus Google and cannot find conclusive fact on this.

Big thanks in advance.

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi all,
So, in addition to any other advice from anyone, the big question is, can I just buy an ECU from Ebay, which seem to be about 1/10 the price Triumph want, plug it in and all will be rosy, or does the ECU need to be matched somehow to the clocks? I've searched this and many other forums plus Google and cannot find conclusive fact on this.

Big thanks in advance.
Any ecu from 06/08 will work with you cluster, using a 09 + ecu will not work with your cluster...

"because 4 cylinders is one too many"

#9 ·
As I searched for this problem and found many threads started, advice given and work carried out, but very often no conclusion, I'm updating so to help someone maybe.

I bought a new battery, new more robust rectifier and a secondhand ECU from a breaker on eBay. Installed today and everything just plugged right in and worked. The ECU was from a 2006 bike, same as mine. As soon as I installed the ECU and fired it up, I knew all was good as I got the gear indicator and neutral light back up on the dash. I had the engine management light for a while, but after a few starts (way more than 3) it eventually went.

Only issue I have remaining is that the EXUP valve no longer works, so it would appear that a component in that chain got fried when the rectifier went south.

Total cost to me - under £300 and an afternoon with the spanners. If Triumph had charged full whack, it would have been £2000.

#10 ·
Hi Fella,
Glad you got sorted and many thanks have to go to illsynd for helping with his advice.
Thats only the second bike I have heard of in the UK which has fried the ECU but I can bet theres a lot more.
If you saw the racing at the weekend you will have seen the Smiths 675 break down with a reg/rec problem. So seems like the big T still havent got it sorted yet!

#11 ·
While out on my 675 today the bike just came to a stop and the engine cut out. Before this my dash started going mental the lights started to flash and the fuel light was on. The the rev limiter just stopped working. About one minute later the bike just cut out. The rac said my battery was not charging after he had a look. Has anybody else had these problems and what did you do to fix the problem.

Cheers

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.