Triumph 675 Forums banner

Who has blown the motor in the Daytona?

36K views 85 replies 51 participants last post by  TRMN8TR 
#1 ·
Interested to see how many folks have blown a motor. if you have, post up and give a few lines about what you were doing when the motor blew.

Me, i was in practice last weekend just starting to bring up the pace and lay down some hotter laps. I apexed turned 2 at Loudon in the middle of third gear as usual. as I kept on the gas and the RPM's climbed keeping me on the line all the way out to the wall, i kissed the rev limiter and grabbed fourth, but it apparently didn't grab...or did (not sure). either way, the motor blew right at that point.

sounded like a broken chain slapping around inside the engine.

I race my 675...so this thing, especially at loudon, lives its life in the red zone near the rev limiter. I'll be beefing up the head on the replacement motor as well as having my tuner setup the mapping and quickshifter in a protection like fashion to keep this thing south of danger. can't be replacing engine frequently :whistle:

#2 ·
You're looking a little ronely. :laugh:

Have you torn the motor down yet to source the point of failure? I'm curious as to the frequency and type of failure the 675 engine exhibits as time goes on. Additionally, it'd be interesting to see how the 09-forward updates improved overall reliability.

From what little I can see, your bike looks awesome, nice paint scheme!

#3 ·
I expected to be in the minority, but also expected at least a few replies. guess that's a good thing, right? LOL

#10 ·
go big or go home huh?

#6 ·
No first hand experience on this either *knocks on own head* but I wonder if it's wise to push the engine near the red line when you lose power quite early compared to a 4-cylinder.

#16 ·
No first hand experience on this either *knocks on own head* but I wonder if it's wise to push the engine near the red line when you lose power quite early compared to a 4-cylinder.
I don't know about this.

I'm conscious of this all the time when I race my SV, but then the SV was created as a commuter bike. The D675 was pretty much built to be raced, and hopefully survive this sort of treatment.

I never had the time to stare at the tacho when I used to track my D675, but I was conscious of solid flashing blue lights in the cockpit very often. Out at the track, this is just where the bike lives ... up near the redline. Doesn't make sense to do it any other way, surely?

O.B

#7 ·
I have seen dropped valves and rod bearing failure, the later may have been due to low oil level on a race bike. Racers like to run the oil at the min mark for a little extra power, but this was using the old style dip stick where the old high mark is the new low, so it was really low.

Have you torn the motor down and determined a failure yet? Not much can be determined until then, may have been something you did, or just that the motor had enough and let go. How many miles? Race engines usually should get refreshed once a year with all new bearings on the bottom end.

oh yeah…the motor let go going into turn 3 at Summit Point, went to downshift and there was no engine braking, felt like a false neutral…disclaimer-not my bike, was my friend on his race bike-

#8 ·
I was on a way to a wedding out in KY left TX I get to Lake Charles and POP, 3500 miles on the motor when it happened
engine was replaced under warranty, journal #1 plugged Oil galley #1 and seized the rod shot through the block size of about a half dollar......little scary when the wheel locked up glad i was at a low speed at the time.

#9 ·
Last week, coming out of Turn 7 at Mont-Tremblant at about 135/140, heard/felt a high frequency vibration split second later dropped a cylinder (turns out it was #3, by the cam chain), pulled the clutch, killed the power, got off the racing line looked back and realized my bike was a doing a great impersonation of a crop duster out the exhaust.

Pulled the throttle bodies, exhaust and valve cover, peaked into the intake and exhaust ports to see if the valves where all there. When I found metal in the airbox I knew it was not going to be pretty.... When I looked into cly 3 it was carnage. The valve stems looked like they went through a pretzel machine, all bent up like a silly straw. One intake valve trumpet had broken off completely, which I suspect was the culprit. It is now firmly wedged/fused sideways into the intake port on the head. None of the valves dropped in the classic sense (valve retainer failure), but I do think that intake valve did break from the stem. I'll pull the head for a full recon when I put in a new motor (which I'm on the hunt for now). The real bummer, I just purchased the bike and only had about 4-5 hours on it. It was an '06 with kit valves, springs cam chain tensioner and cam chain. Head was cleaned up but no major work, only compression bump was form the kit valves. Bike used only for the track with a solid maintenance background from the previous owner.

#11 ·
ive just done the bottom end a couple weeks ago, there are a couple of threads on here about it, it was knocked off the side stand at idle and hit the throttle when it landed on the ground so bounced of rev limiter for a while. tip over sensor failed and starved of oil new conrods bearings and crank required, warranty rejected and giving me cost price for parts is setting me back $3100AUS im still amazed that it blew the engine. the rest of the engine is in perfect condition im told.

#12 ·
Blown in turn 1

Mine was at BIR on turn 1 on the long course. Still (I believe) the fastest turn in north america. Pinned down the straight redlined with short course gearing (my first mistake), when I tipped it in to turn 1 still redlined i blew the rev limiter and the engine just quit. Grabbed the clutch and hit the kill switch and coasted off the track at turn 3. Drained the oil last night and saw stuff you don't like to see, looks like the con rod or main bearings went out but haven't torn it open yet.
So, cheaper to rebuild vs buy used motor? I imagine it depends on what I see once I split the cases open

#13 ·
I've spun bearings in 2 different engines. Neither times low on oil. Both times I was getting on it but no harder than the bike is made to be ridden. Never done a track day. First engine had roughly 8500 miles and the second had roughly 12000 miles on it. Second time I lost all oil pressure and the first time I did not.

#17 ·
I'm in exactly the same boat. Hit the rev limiter, changed up and thought the front sprocket came off but sadly that wasn't it. 2 valves, piston, liner and head. Rev limiter not raised. Now looking for a new motor. 9000km

Anyone got a motor, or 2006-08 head at very least?

#18 ·
I blew the motor on one of my 675's riding lightening at njmp.. I got the whole thing on video unfortunately.. It was only my second time riding lightening.. The bike sounded a lil off that day but on one of the laps I pass under the bridge drop into 2nd take the left hander punch it shift into third and that's all folks.. Ill post the video.. Any one who is in absolute watch the video till the end because its funny how it ends.. Anyway I lost a spring and dropped a valve, valve hit piston, piston took out rod bearing, bike still outta commission

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#30 ·
It did sound like a twin - running on 2 cylinders I guess...

#28 ·
I lost mine at a trackday on 2/17.

Tore it down and there was a spun rod bearing on cylinder 3 and a couple of spun main bearings. Head / cams were trash from debris going through the motor.

Just got it running again last night - 2009 motor swap running on 2006 electronics. Judging by riding it on a shitty tune right now the motor was on its way out for a while... it was down a TON of power. In the video from the trackday it was down at least 10-15whp. I was -2/+1 gearing on the old motor for the 10k miles I had it and it wouldn't lift the front off pure power even pinned in first. First gear is now useless (climbin' like a monkey over the front to keep it down and it still comes up hard and I have to back off), second lifts off under WOT, and third gets jittery as shit WOT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.