Triumph 675 Forums banner

Striple in the Alps

3K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  taddraughn 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I'm going to be in Munich for the next month or so (until august 8th) and I'm working on throwing together a weekend trip to the susten pass, grisel pass, and surrounding areas. I found a local Triumph dealer in munich and it looks like they rent striples! :thumbsup:

Have any of you guys ridden this area before? (tips? tricks? favourite sandwiches?) It'll be my first time in the area so not really sure what to expect. Just looking at the google earth images of the roads though.. getting me all kinds of excited.

LOOK AT IT: https://www.google.com/maps/place/1...2!3m1!1s0x4785623bc85b39c9:0x2a37207442006de4

#3 ·
I don't know about Germany, but I rode in northern Italy last year and here are a few things I learned about maps:

1. The Michelin maps are pretty good. You can get them in different scales, and the smaller scales are more useful for riding routes (although you need more of them depending on the area you want to cover).

2. The rental place I used had some maps of routes. Other rental places also talk about routes on their websites, and that helped me identify good roads.

3. Once there, I went to a book store and found local book about riding in Italy. I couldn't read it, but it had maps of spectacular routes and identified hotels on the routes. Maybe you can find something similar in Munich.

4. There are a lot of websites with routes through the Alps on them. It was too much information for me, but I used them to confirm that routes I thought looked good on my paper maps were rated well.

I don't know if Germany has them, but some places in Italy have speed cameras (e.g. where the speed limit drops as a good road comes into a little town). They always had warning signs.

Anyway, I hope some of that helps. You'll have a spectacular time. I'm jealous!

#6 ·
I don't know about Germany, but I rode in northern Italy last year and here are a few things I learned about maps:

1. The Michelin maps are pretty good. You can get them in different scales, and the smaller scales are more useful for riding routes (although you need more of them depending on the area you want to cover).

2. The rental place I used had some maps of routes. Other rental places also talk about routes on their websites, and that helped me identify good roads.

3. Once there, I went to a book store and found local book about riding in Italy. I couldn't read it, but it had maps of spectacular routes and identified hotels on the routes. Maybe you can find something similar in Munich.

4. There are a lot of websites with routes through the Alps on them. It was too much information for me, but I used them to confirm that routes I thought looked good on my paper maps were rated well.

I don't know if Germany has them, but some places in Italy have speed cameras (e.g. where the speed limit drops as a good road comes into a little town). They always had warning signs.

Anyway, I hope some of that helps. You'll have a spectacular time. I'm jealous!
Thanks for the good info. I definitely need to get a paper map since i wont have data while im over there. (Assuming there would even be a signal to have in the alps)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#8 ·
Well, I ended up reserving a BMW F800R for next weekend.

Just wanted to give a shoutout to Roiderjackl because he has been a massive help here in Munich. He gave me tons of good information, met me today at the rental place to translate and help out, and is even allowing me to borrow a helmet and gloves from a friend of his. Definitely wouldn't be able to piece this trip together without him.

Anyway, I'll be sure to update the thread with plenty of pictures when I get done with the ride.

#11 ·
Oddly enough, I just got back a short while ago, I was in the Dolomites for 7 days and then did the Stelvio Pass, and that area the for few days.
Your choice of the Striple is a good one, but a better choice maybe the Tiger 800, by far the bike of choice in that neck of the woods is the BMW GS.
I had a Ducati Monster 821 and had fun, then I had a BMW F800R, not as much fun.
The Street Triple 675 will be fun especially in the tight up hill hair pins. :wink3:

#13 · (Edited)
Day One:

First day of the trip went really well. Met Roiderjackl at the BMW dealership and set off around 10. When we got close to Sölden, Roiderjackl turned around to head back to Munich. A few minutes later I was headed up to the Timmelsjoch mountain pass. Roads here were much less crowded and in great condition; awesome views as well. It was a toll road (12 euro) so that may be why there wasn't much car traffic. After making it through the pass i stopped in st leonard to get some food. Then, after eating I headed up through Jaufenpass. Almost as twisty as the previous pass, but not nearly as well maintained. Makes sense since it was not a toll road. After not much longer i decided to stop in Brixen to stay the night.

Sky Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Wheel
Cloud Sky Plant Mountain Natural landscape
Cloud Sky Mountain Plant Natural landscape

#14 · (Edited)
Day Two:

Woke up this morning and grabbed some hotel breakfast. Then headed out of Brixen around 9:30AM. Not much longer I found myself hella-lost up on some pass.. After riding around for who knows how long I talked to a tourist information desk and found out I wasn't going the right way (shocker :whistle:). Anyway, they got me going the right way and from then on it was pretty smooth sailing. Once i was getting close to Brunico, I passed some ridiculous vespa parade thing. I swear there had to be over a thousand of them.

Anyway, eventually I made it to the Grossglockner. This made getting lost not matter at all. So twisty, perfect pavement, lots of room to pass, and some of the best views I've seen. Once I got to the top I took a road that takes you over by where the glacier is (or was i guess) There isn't much ice left, but it's still really cool to look at. I ended up eating lunch/dinner there around 3 or so. After that, based on the odometer reading, I knew i was going to be well over the 700km that was included with the bike so I decided to just ride all the way back to Munich on the Autobahn (ended up at over 800, YOLO). On my way up to the Autobahn I went through Zell am See and it was freaking packed. Ironman signs were everywhere and they were having an airshow with a few jets over the lake. I caught a few minutes of it as I rode by. After that it was pretty much just highway back to my hostel. Today had to be the absolute best roads I've been on. Grossglockner may not have been as technical as the dragon, but it's better in just about every other way I can think of. Oh did I mention there aren't any cops up there? :grin2:

Also, wanted to throw in a little review of the F800R I rode. I started out riding it and didn't know what to think of it. The fly by wire throttle kinda sucks and I found that it wasn't easy to modulate. Took me pretty much the whole first day to get comfortable leaning off the bike/ going around tight corners with it. But after getting used to it, I would say it's a pretty decent bike, if a little underpowered. It brakes well, and the suspension felt pretty good too. BMW should probably make it sound a little better though bc it sounds super hollow and lifeless. All that said, the more I rode it, the more I ended up liking it. But it's sure as hell not my Daytona so maybe I just got Stockholm Syndrome.

Ill upload some pics when i get a chance. I'll have to sift through and see which ones are good.

#15 ·
Sounds like a good time. I had a GPS with my rental, and it was very helpful.
I rented the BMW F800R and was not impressed in tight uphill right hairpin turns, but I managed and had a ball anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.