Triumph 675 Forums banner

Yoyodyne Slipper Issue 2012 675 Daytona

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  vanUlv 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Thank you to the threads here I was able to install the Yoyodyne slipper clutch into my 2012 Daytona 675 successfully, well sought of!!!!

I followed the instructions here perfectly, moved the judder springs etc...I took it out on the track and found it is working perfectly however I find there is a bite in the clutch lever everytime I shift down, its sought of like a click as I release the clutch lever after downshifting.

Has anyone experienced this, is it normal?

As stated it seems to be working perfectly with the clutch engaging and disengaging as it should and the slipper is performing as one would expect, just that click in the lever is annoying.

Look forward to hearing from anyone that could support.

#2 ·
Have a very slight click in mine, I either do not notice it anymore or it went away with some miles.,, I did not use the judder springs as the clutch would not disengage with them in.

#5 ·
So its not the judder springs causing it considering some of you removed them altogether, I wonder what it is and why no one has bought this up previously.

To me it is annoying, and has a negative affect as I am pushing down hard entering a turn, really takes away from my focus.

Hopefully it fades maybe in the interim I will ask Yoyodyne for an explanation.

Thanks for the responses.

#7 ·
I only notice it if I kind of slip the clutch out. Which of course is completely unnecessary... drop it down a couple of gears and just dump the clutch!

What took some getting used to was doing that and having the revs wind up while I was slowing down. Of course, normally the revs are dropping in unison with your speed.

#9 ·
Thanks Mel maybe thats it, I have only run it up once on the track and still coming down the gears like its a standard clutch. I need to just dump the gears and release and let the slipper do its job.

Thinking of getting out to SMSP this Monday and try it again then.

I did manage to finally break the 1:50 barrier on the GP circuit so it certainly is accommodating me.

#10 ·
Something pulls in the clutch lever under gearshifts

I did install a TSS slipper clutch ( similar to yoyodyne) today and I also experienced sometimes that I could feel the gearshifts in the clutch lever, especially on downshifts. On my zx10r -05 I could sometimes feel that something is pulling from the clutch under engine braking when I am into braking and have downshifted for corners like on a trackday.
But this feeling from my 675-10 is not like that but the gearchanges did not always feel strange, only tested it for a short drive and can't really tell if the slipper works. I did a couple of brakings and downshifts from 3rd to 2nd at around 50 mph and the feeling from that was that the slipper probably works. I did revmatch on the downshifts and I kind of had the feeling that the revs were higher up than it would have been with the standard clutch , is that the way yoyo slippers work?

I did put the judder springs and the smaller friction plate on third place. My stack height difference was around 0,7 mm. I only used the original shims and washers, not the kit washer.
I used the red spring retainers that was premounted in the box, it also included 5 silver retainers but I have no information about the effect these retainers should have.

Thought I had to start a thread about this but it seems that others have had similar experiences and it would be nice to know if this is something that is related to stack height or is something that is normal for this kind of slipper. Don't think that the pulling in the clutch lever will bother me so much as long it do what it is supposed to do.

#11 ·
Slipper Clutch ,Click

I have a '09 Daytona that I have installed a STM slipper clutch.
I questioned STM about the click. Their answer was as you accelerate the force causes the clutch plates to lock-up (no clutch slippage). When you pull in the clutch lever to shift the clutch plates pop a part,hence the pop or click that you feel in the clutch lever. This normal for a aftermarket slipper clutch.
I have ridden many track days and back roads and feel that the price of the slipper clutch was money well spent !:surprise:

#12 ·
I have a '09 Daytona that I have installed a STM slipper clutch.
I questioned STM about the click. Their answer was as you accelerate the force causes the clutch plates to lock-up (no clutch slippage). When you pull in the clutch lever to shift the clutch plates pop a part,hence the pop or click that you feel in the clutch lever. This normal for a aftermarket slipper clutch.:surprise:
OK. Nice to get a better explanation what is going on and maybee causes the click. I have done a couple of rides now and this click did only occured on downshifts for me, the first ride was a bit annoying so I thought wrongly that it also occured on upshifts. This click on downshift did not disturb me so much after that I learnt that other had this phenomena and it seemed to be normal. My slipper clutch is really working fine and makes downshifts smother.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.