Triumph 675 Forums banner

HID install: Daytona 675 2013, pics and a shitty video included...

14K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  BOPZX6R 
#1 · (Edited)
After reading FELIXX's thread and being inspired by the positive experiences he had with the volt HID kit i had to try it aswell. The OEM headlights on the 2013 are more or less crap so this looked like a great and well needed mod.

Talked to Oliver @ Xenon Expert and he put a kit together for the 2013 with 2 x H7 bulbs, ballasts etc for 119 $, i bought the 5000k bulbs. I was unsure however if everything was going to fit under the fairing infills, initially it looked like there was a lot less room under them but it worked out great in the end.

Nothing on the 2013 is like the previous models, the bulb covers are a lot smaller and you turn them counterclockwise to release. Since they're that small you don't have any other option than to drill the needed 25 mm hole in the middle.

Watertight grommet installed and HID bulb/cabling pulled through:

HID bulb mounted with the wireclip and the cover turned clockwise to lock:

Here's where it became complicated, had to try a lot of different configurations before i found space for the ballast/cables etc while still being able to hide everything and get the fairing infill properly mounted again. This is what i came up with, the only way i got it done, everything fit perfectly though:

Cover back on:

Then just repeat for the other side, slightly less room there though but still enough:

The moment of truth, turned the key and....nothing, unlike the OEM headlights i have to have the engine on for them to work. Not sure if i ****ed up somewhere, will ask Oliver to look into it. Started the engine and everything lit up, and damn, these things are BRIGHT !! (and no, that Bonneville in the background is not mine, it belongs to a neighbour)

Since the 2013 has 2 H7 bulbs and 2 different reflectors (single lowbeam and lowbeam+highbeam when switched to highbeam) you cannot get 2 lowbeams AND 2 highbeams. You can sacrifice the highbeam by changing the angle and get 2 lowbeams, you have to change to BI-xenons projectors to get dual low+dual high beams.

The difference vs OEM halogens is huge on the road, i took a 3 hour drive on unlit backroads and i can finally see where the hell i'm going. Sadly these pics and the crap video does a pisspoor job of showing you guys how much better the headlights are now as but belive me they are, the highbeam just blends and adds to the lowbeam and covers a lot of real estate in front of you, perfectly seamless.

Here's the vid, it's a really short shitty video, tried to show how much better this is than the OEM halogen h7's but quickly realized that i'm no spielberg :p It doesn't translate with the limited quality of a phonecam either:

I also had to have the engine on for the lights to turn on but what the hell, here it is anyway. The difference while driving is huge, well worth the 120$ + postage the kit retails for.

I would recommend this kit to any Daytona 675 owner without reservations, easy to install once i figured out where to locate everything. The only con is the fact that the engine has to be turned on but that can be solved hopefully, if not it's not a dealbreaker for me.

Thanks to Oliver @ Xenon Expert and FELIXX for the headsup/inspiration.

http://www.xenonexpert.com/volt-motorcycle-hid-conversion-kit-triumph-675-2013/

Enjoy

Nick

EDIT: sorry about the dust on the bike, they cleaned the garage yesterday but i forgot about it and didn't have the dust cover on.

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks great. Th cut-off looks really good for a reflector housing.

Did you notice a lot of glare/ wash out?

How is the start up time on the bulbs?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
No glare to speak of, bulbs starts instantly when i start the engine.Takes a few sec for them to get fully lit. I'm really impressed by the brightness, it's a big improvement over the stock H7 halogens.

#22 ·
Only my eyelet light is on in the 'ON' position. My low beams only come on with the engine running. I have a 2014 tona with stock bulbs. My buddy's striple low beam comes on with just battery. Maybe the changed it on the 14 models. OP looks really nice, I might have to invest

#10 ·
I had the opportunity to see my bike at night (with someone else riding it) after installing the Volt kit and the lights look amazing. These are well worth it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#11 ·
Great review, I just posted my thoughts as well. I wanted to mention that I am 99% sure my stock lights didnt turn on before you start the engine either, but maybe someone with 2013 stockers can test it for us to settle the dispute. If the engine is already running and you kill it with the kill switch, the lights stay on until you turn the key off. That feature still works with my kit and maybe thats what your remembering. I could be totally wrong as well.

I like your mounting position for the box, I ended up shoving everthing down in the bottom. I put the big metal box in the lower left and lower right space between the headlight housing and the fairing. Not sure how the road vibration will be or anything but if it causes problems I may move it up where yours is located.

#13 ·
Thanks for the guide and pictures ! I just installed my 5k 35w HIDS

#23 ·
They changed this for the 2013 model redesign. Pre 2013 the low beam comes on when the key is turned to "on". 2013 and after MY the single running light is on when the key is turned to "on" and the headlight only comes on after the engine is started. This is actually better if you have HIDs as your headlights won't turn on when you turn the key to "on", and then briefly turn off, then on when you start the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.