Triumph 675 Forums banner

Trumpy powered quad bike, help needed.

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  trumpy quad 
#1 ·
Hello all , first post , and yes for some reason known to god and himself I am building a 675r powered sand drag quad , you know , as you do.
So I am slowly working on the frame , A lt250 suzuki quadzilla, but before getting into it to far , I want the motor going, from the wrecked 675r I have.
Its a 2011 daytona 675r , with a front end prang ( written off for good because of frame cracking). The main problem I need to fix atm is when the battery is connected with no key on , the fan runs all the time, and when you turn the key to on , the motor tries to start without you pushing the starter. All relays and wiring seems intact, and after finding and buying a spare ecm for future parts , I tried that with the same result.
Ideas needed please , I am thinking ignition switch as its got some scuffs from accident , but otherwise seems intact and all wires connected, as you look at it from below .
thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Hi futher to this I have used my very limited leccy knowledge to see that with my multi-meter
I am getting 12.8 volts at starter motor side of starter solenoid, with just the key on , no black button pressed, that cant be right ? can it.
You can hear the solenoid click , so its getting a signal from somewhere.
So I undid the starter button harness , but no change so it cant be stuck on or anything.

So I tried finding where that 12 volt signal comes from , the relay, or the ignition or the ecm?.
Undid ecm , no change , still turns over with key, so swapped relay over with fan relay to test , no change , so that leaves
ignition, am I on right track ?
thanks.

#3 ·
It's not the ignition switch because that doesn't send power to either the rad fan, or the starter. It sounds to me like you have a damaged loom. If it were say crushed, it is quite possible for power to be headed where it shouldn't. I would pull it apart and follow the starter wire up until I found the issue.

It is also quite possible (more likely) you have a connector in the wrong place somewhere in the system. I wouldn't guess it's a bad relay, but I would guess you have something connected in such a manner as you have given power to both the fan relay, and the starter relay. I would make sure that both of them aren't being powered via a hot short of either your doing, or a crush in the loom.

Good luck!

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply, I think you are on right track somewhat.
I took the blue starter relay just to order one anyway , and the guy tested it he said , and
found it was permanently opened or closed or something , but said it was faulty anyway, so got a new one ordered.
However there were a few wires in the main loom that look a bit squashed as you say, but I have inspected all of them
and there are no bare wires etc.
So I pick up the relay tomorrow , and after fitting it will then go over all the wires again and report back.
My new guess now is , the fan is coming on cause of your wire guess , but the starter is going on off the key
because the relay is faulty too.
If you look on the schematic , it would be possible for the bike too start on key if that starter relay is u/s.
thanks again.

#5 ·
There you go , just replaced the blue starter relay , and the black fan relay , and both work as per they should.
Just going to put tank back on and go a test fire i reckon.
thanks for your help buddy , as I am now test firing it , and then stripping complete bike down , ready
for the quad conversion theres going to be a heap more questions coming I would say.
But for now if your fan comes on with key or starter motor comes on with key I can say for sure to check/change
the relays , as they can cause this fault as well others like wiring or ecm etc.
thanks again , Simon .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.