Triumph 675 Forums banner

Mallala trackdays

36K views 516 replies 20 participants last post by  Anon 
#1 ·
I thought it would be a good idea to post here all about Mallala instead of starting a new thread on every trackday.....
The next one track day is on 26/27 this month and the other one 10/11 next month.
Anyone is going to be there??

#2 ·
Probably not, unfortunately.

Still recovering from neurosurgery, but hoping to be out for the first available track day in the new year, probably just plodding around in one of the slow groups to start with.

Mind you, I have an appointment with my neuro surgeon at the end of this month, so if she's REALLY impressed with my progress, I guess there's a slim chance I could be out in December...

O.B

#3 ·
Probably not, unfortunately.

Still recovering from neurosurgery, but hoping to be out for the first available track day in the new year, probably just plodding around in one of the slow groups to start with.

Mind you, I have an appointment with my neuro surgeon at the end of this month, so if she's REALLY impressed with my progress, I guess there's a slim chance I could be out in December...

O.B
I know how you feel mate!

#4 ·
You'll still be kicking my ass OB, be sure to wave as you pass me by.

I'm finally kitted out, my jacket arrived this morning so now have a matching set with my ebay pants.

Though I think the cafe racers and phoenix club meets are a bit beyond the skill level.

#14 ·
Managed a PB on both bikes today!

1:16.33 on the GSXR and
1:21.49 on the ER6N

Got some video on both bikes but the mounting on the GSXR moved around too much which makes it kinda awful to watch. ER6N vid is not bad though, I'll put it up soon.
Nice Rory!!!well done!!!.....
How was the weather there?? I suppose fine looking these times :D

#16 ·
Today's racing was beyond awesome.

Every race was close with mini-battles, hairy moments, passing and re-passing. Like Limited Class racing always seems to be...great to watch, and stupidly competitive all the way back to the last bike on the track. Madness.

It was great to visit the pit shed and see SV650, Ricardo, Rorz and of course Smiley. I was utterly green with envy the whole time, but I have to say it was very motivating to be there.

I am utterly, utterly determined to get well quickly, hit the track and make up go lost time.

Now...one of you lazy bastards get out of the pub and post a full report!

O.B

#17 ·
Driving back to Vic tonight so I'll have to do a write up when I get back. Spent most of the day cleaning the bikes, shed and packing up for the trip. Loading the GSXR up to bring back with me this time. Might even head out to Winton on the 23rd.

I think myself, SV650 and Ric all ran PB's yesterday so we all came away very happy. Massive congratulations to SV650 for WINNING limited outright! Well done mate. :coolgleamA:

#18 ·
What an awesome weekend out at the track. I did the practice day on the Saturday mostly riding the ER6N. I'm quite surprised at how much corner speed the little Kwaka can carry and with the ZX6R brakes it certainly stops well too. Once the track dried out from a couple of morning showers I was able to get it down into the 1:21's which I was pretty happy with considering it only has 71hp or something.

Phoenix were only running 3 groups on the Saturday which meant long sessions and heaps of track time which I think really helped in shaking down the ER6 and working out how to get the best from it. With less power than a sport bike you really need to keep the little twin on the boil which is challenging but rewarding when you get it right. I've got some video footage of one of the practice sessions having a few battles with sport bikes which was a lot of fun. I've tried to upload it but it's 2gb which is way too big. Anyone know how to resize video?

I eneded up doing the last two sessions on the Saturday riding the GSXR. I had a new rear Pirelli 180/60 SC1 rear fitted before the meet as the one from the last race meet was cactus. The bike was feeling really good and despite it not feeling like I'd pushed that hard, the lap timer showed after my first session that I'd done my first minute sixteen. I managed to back that up in the last session of the day with several back to back 1:16's and a best time of 1:16.33 which had me looking forward to the racing on Sunday.

Sunday was absolute mayhem. Alex (SV650) and Ric arrived and after a couple warm up laps had to qualify for both Limited and Brackets. Despite having bugger all practice they both ran very decent times with SV650 qualifying a row in front of myself and Ric. They ran the C20 race (any bike 1999 or older) at the same time as our Limited races which meant quite a few bikes on the grid so starts were important especially for our 70-80hp Limited bikes.

In the first race I got away to a fairly decent start but not as good as Ric who got away to a blinder. I was starting to worry that they had both cleared out at first as all I could see were 90's sport bikes but as I got past a couple and the field thinned out I saw the red Cagiva 650 of Ric. He was getting around fairly quickly but after a few laps I managed to close the gap then pass under brakes. I then noticed it was SV650 in front of Ric and the chase was on. Just as I was thinking I wouldn't be able to catch him before the end of the race I got through a series of turns really well which set up an inside move under brakes. I'm not sure how far back the lads were when I crossed the line as I didn't dare look! :laugh:

In the second race I got an awful start finding neutral instead of 2nd just after launching which meant a lot of revs and not much forward movement.... I got swarmed by most of the field and spent most of the race trying to get back the positions I lost at the start. I could see Ric toward the end of the race but he was just too fast for me to chase down. SV650 seemed to have checked out as I didn't even see him until I was back in the pit garage after the race!

In the third Limited race I got away to a good start but again Ric easily beat me to turn 1. He's really mastered getting the Cagiva off the line which meant I was finding it impossible to be within 3 bike lengths of him at turn 1. Luckily this time I wasn't nearly as far behind and after getting past a couple of C20 bikes I was able to get within striking distance. It took me quite a while to find a way around the red Cagiva though as Ric was quite strong under brakes which is where I normally like to pass. Eventually I was able to get a really good run out of a corner which after a straight finally put me in a position where I was able to safely squeeze past. I could see SV650 up ahead and tried my best to close the gap before the end of the race but he was just too fast and if anything, he probably increased the margin between us before the flag.

Due to the order of the races on the day, I had to race the GSXR directly after each Limited race. I would literally ride into the garage, jump off the ER6N then straight onto the GSXR and head out to form up on the grid for another race! It was pretty crazy, I'm glad Smiley was around to help out with the stands and warmers. Thanks mate!

I qualified fairly poorly (after Saturdays times) for Brackets on the GSXR with a 1:18. I just couldn't find the space I needed to run a fast lap. I got close a couple times but then there'd be a string of slower bikes in the esses which cost a couple of seconds. I qualified in 13th putting me on the 3rd row which still wasn't too bad.

In the first race I got off to a good start gaining several positions. I got on the pace fairly quickly and managed to pass a few more bikes. The bike felt really solid which allowed me to push pretty hard and by the end of the race I think I finished in 3rd which I was really happy about. Then Smiley came over with a print out of the lap times which blew me away. I'd run a 1:15.1 in the race! Easily my PB although too fast for my qualifying time which meant I got no points for the race. Oh well... :cool2:

The second race I had a fairly good start and raced well although the track felt like it had less grip after lunch. I got into the 16's but couldn't quite get into the 15's again. I remember seeing a guy from the pit garage next to ours spinning his R1 up quite a lot while we were battling as the grip seemed to have definitely reduced perhaps just because it was quite hot by that stage. I ended up finishing the race in 4th which I thought a decent result considering I started from 13th.

The third race I had a terrible start again finding neutral when going for second which meant I had a lot of positions to make up. I managed to get on to some good laps though and soon moved up through the field, finishing sixth although the first couple bikes had well and truly checked out.

Overall, I came third in Limited which meant I got some prize money!! Was stoked with that, especially being my first Limited race meet. It was SV650's day though, he managed 1st in Limited which is an amazing result for someone that's only done a couple of race meets. :coolgleamA:

#20 ·
Great write-up Rorz.

Congrats on your results and PB's. I can only begin to imagine how nuts it is racing the ER as well as the GSXR, because on the Limited bikes alone it often feels like we are heading back out a moment after coming in. You are the king of stamina. No wonder you attract the fans...

I really enjoyed coming out there for a look. All of you guys are doing incredibly well. It's inspiring to watch.

O.B

#23 ·
Great write-up Rorz.

Congrats on your results and PB's. I can only begin to imagine how nuts it is racing the ER as well as the GSXR, because on the Limited bikes alone it often feels like we are heading back out a moment after coming in. You are the king of stamina. No wonder you attract the fans...

I really enjoyed coming out there for a look. All of you guys are doing incredibly well. It's inspiring to watch.

O.B
Thanks OB, was good to have you out there. Yeah, racing Limited then Brackets on the GSXR back to back was crazy! I dunno how you guys got through that Endurance race, you must have been ruined at the end of it. The new fan... that was pretty funny. :laugh:

Nice wrap up Rorz. Was good fun again sharing the shed with you but this time... actually getting to race you in limited! Race one was your best - I was a bit rattled being up against the C20 class. So in the second and third races I just thought as long as I try and hang with them I'll be doing okay - which along with a few fast two-strokers either having mechanical problems or running off the track paid off and helped me secure 1st place :0

Think I'm still I shock over that! haha
Was awesome racing against you and Ric in Limited. I can't believe how close all of our lap times were. I think 1 race our best laps were all within 1 second of each other! Made for some great racing and battles.

The 2 strokers.... well I think Smiley summed it up best. "They're fast when they work". :laugh: I'm glad that Honnda RS250 GP bike broke down though... crazy fast bike to be allowed in the class. Should really be as fast as a modern 600cc. Power to weight would be very similar but with less weight overall and a full race chassis, swingarm, shock, forks and brakes. Very cool bike.

Thanks Rorz, SV and Rick for letting me play pit bitch, I had a great day helping out.
It was good watch you all racing each other at the pointy end.
And yes Rorz you are very strong under brakes.
No problem Smiley, thanks for helping out. Pretty certain I would have dropped one of the bikes trying to put the rear stand on by myself after the first couple back to back races.

I'm getting better under brakes. The ER6N is a bit easier because it's trap speed at the end of the back straight is more consistant. With the GSXR I'd just get some brake markers worked out then barrel through the kink a lot faster and barely pull up. I did a tour of the gravel trap at the Northern Hairpin on Saturday. Managed to get the front wheel bogged to the axle in the soft dirt at the end of the gravel trap actually. Got it out myself though which saved some embaressment. :laugh: It really isn't a trackday/race weekend til I've done my compulsory tour of that gravel trap.

#21 ·
Nice wrap up Rorz. Was good fun again sharing the shed with you but this time... actually getting to race you in limited! Race one was your best - I was a bit rattled being up against the C20 class. So in the second and third races I just thought as long as I try and hang with them I'll be doing okay - which along with a few fast two-strokers either having mechanical problems or running off the track paid off and helped me secure 1st place :0

Think I'm still I shock over that! haha

Thanks Smiley for helping out in the shed - getting warmers on and off. Racing in limited and brackets on stinking hot day makes those tasks quite difficult!

#22 ·
Thanks Rorz, SV and Rick for letting me play pit bitch, I had a great day helping out.
It was good watch you all racing each other at the pointy end.
And yes Rorz you are very strong under brakes.

It was good to see you O.B. on the rightside of the grass fashioning your nice new scar.

And if Rick had kept himself hidrated, he may have been buying the beers.

See ya all soon

#39 ·
Relax!

There are worse things than a track day with a bit of rain. And generally if the forecast says rain for Adelaide, it'll be mostly dry at Mallala unless the whole state has turned really torrential.

I like the days that are forecast as a bit patchy at Mallala, because lots of people stay away and you get small groups with more track space, less traffic and less crashes.

O.B

#43 ·
I just looked short version which is doom and gloom....but it should be back to isolated showers during the morning which works for me.

Thanks for your soothing words O.B. ;)
Well, I was out there last year on one of the rare days when it rained all day. Just about everyone packed up and went home. Myself and a mate stayed put, carved around all day on an almost empty track, had a great time, and learned how far we could push in the wet.

Great fun.

O.B

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.