Triumph 675 Forums banner

NEW 2014 Daytona 675R leaking oil in crate

6K views 36 replies 14 participants last post by  Darkness14 
#1 ·
WELL! I've always wanted a nice bike to ride track. Thought I had it when I bought the 2014 675R, at least for 300 mi, I thought I did.
Anyway, after seeing oil puddles underneath after overnight stays, I decided that my "Dealer" needed to know of it. When I discussed the problem over the phone with the tech in charge of performing the final assembly, he tells me that my bike was leaking from the same spot it leaks now before it was removed from the crate. REALLY?! The General Mgr confirmed the same after an in-office discussion. Also, both said that an O ring replacement was performed after removing from the crate. There was no vetting out the new part to check the validity of the repair either. The bike was then put on the showroom floor for sale AS NEW. I then purchased the bike without being told of leakage troubles.
(Btw, it leaks from around the shiny silver elbow that enters the engine case on lower left side near left foot peg.)
Now,... The dealer wants to put yet another O ring replacement on it. That might be a wee bit nuts since it'll be the 3rd set of O rings. Prolly something else, like the hole it enters is not proper sized, eg.
Anyway, I feel the dealer misrepresented the bike.
Any thoughts on who can make good on this?
Unbelievable

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Countershaft sprocket oil seal. Every single 2013+ I've seen has needed it replaced, including both of mine. The replacement on my Street has held up fine, have yet to bring the Daytona in under warranty. I have 2 other guys on our race team with 2013's that both are leaking.

"If" your dealer actually replaced it, and it's leaking again, get them to do it again, it's all covered under warranty. The good news is, this seems to be the only blemish on what is otherwise a pretty solid machine.

#4 ·
Yes, no need to crack the case.

#12 · (Edited)
The coolant line (silver pipe) should not be leaking oil. That said the countershaft sprocket/seal is directly above that. As stated earlier that seal has been a problem in the past and I would guess that is the source of your oil leak.

Have you tried calling Triumph's customer service department?

Attached you will find a picture of the coolant line and it's location to the front sprocket.

Attachments

#9 ·
No Progress

Update:
It's now 2 1/2 wks since I left the bike at the dealership. Still nothing. The bike just sits in the hot sun daily while supposedly waiting on parts. I'm thoroughly disgusted with the service Triumph and the dealership has exhibited thus far.

#10 ·
Update:
It's now 2 1/2 wks since I left the bike at the dealership. Still nothing. The bike just sits in the hot sun daily while supposedly waiting on parts. I'm thoroughly disgusted with the service Triumph and the dealership has exhibited thus far.
I feel your pain. I've had several less than stellar dealings with local dealerships. 2 weeks waiting on parts IMO is not acceptable for a brand new bike. Your local dealer sounds like they could care less. Keep following up and ask for a status. If you have the option, maybe also try another dealer.

#14 ·
Also, thanks Biggziff.
Honestly, I've resisted going more public than this forum. But, I'll consider a more aggressive approach after this coming Friday. That'll be 3weeks at the dealer. By then I'll have my new Shop Manual to verify work done.
Thanks for the support!

#16 ·
I've learned you have to be patient with Triumph. Parts have to come from UK and dealership has to get approval from Triumph to get it covered under warranty.

The dealership has already replaced my CS seal twice. Both times it took about 3-4 weeks each until I got my bike back. First replacement I noticed it leak again around 800 miles and this second one after 500 miles. I bought a couple aftermarket seals that a few other members have used and plan on replacing it myself soon.

#17 ·
I've learned you have to be patient with Triumph. Parts have to come from UK and dealership has to get approval from Triumph to get it covered under warranty.

The dealership has already replaced my CS seal twice. Both times it took about 3-4 weeks each until I got my bike back. First replacement I noticed it leak again around 800 miles and this second one after 500 miles. I bought a couple aftermarket seals that a few other members have used and plan on replacing it myself soon.
I was afraid of that. And this MX tech doesn't seem to be doing the work correctly. They replaced O rings before selling. Then, we checked torque values of their work referencing my buddies manual. WAY OFF. For example, 6nm when the manual says 12nm. I don't think quality control is working over there. Gotta find another tech shop.

#18 ·
Update 2

I'm close to giving up. Engine case has a flaw. No number of new ORing seals will fix the leak. I'm told that Trimph will send a new engine, but will be another 3 week before the bike will be ready to ride again. Then another break-in period. I'm definitely being taken advantage now.

#19 ·
I'm close to giving up. Engine case has a flaw. No number of new ORing seals will fix the leak. I'm told that Trimph will send a new engine, but will be another 3 week before the bike will be ready to ride again. Then another break-in period. I'm definitely being taken advantage now.
That really sucks! I'm hoping this same oil leak issue that many of use have (myself included on two bikes), is not caused by engine case flaws instead of the seals. I wonder how many dealers would not be good enough to diagnose this, leading to just simply replacing the seal, in some cases multiple times.

Would be great if you could get details on what the actual flaw is in your case.

Reactions: Opie
#20 ·
Brutal. Given it's a '14, I'd personally request a new bike. Your resale value has dropped significantly. In my eyes they have to do more than just fix the problem. I'm sure by law that's all they're required to do, but bummer. Good luck with everything. Hopefully it all gets worked out.

#22 ·
Thanks

Thanks. Tx has very explicit laws concerning crap like this. I'll take any and all avenues afforded me. So far, it's despicable. I hope Triumph Moto USA makes good on this calamity. I've already missed 2 track days over this mess.
But guys, be careful. SOME dealers will bandaid a manufacturers' responsible flaw, and then place it out for sale to an unsuspecting consumer. After the sale, the dealer will make claims back to the manufacturer, all the while keeping you in dark as to the "repair work" they've performed. I only discovered the tech "repair work" after an honest tech revealed that they'd done oil seal replacements right out of the crate. Damage to bikes while in transport is a regular occurrence, and we can predict that it'll happen. Normally, the Dealer repairs that damage without issues. But, THIS is nuthr kettle. It's a manufacturer flaw that was covered with a bandaid and hopefully would not resurface until the warranty was gone.
Honestly, after researching the pictorials and instructions in the Service Manual, I really don't know how they could've missed the case flaw. It's right in front of them ! GEEEZ !!

#24 ·
Opie I too thought that I had a counter sprocket leak. I had a little bit of oil on that same area especially by that coolant metal tube. Turns out these bikes come out of the factory with loose bolts. I had no leak whatsoever and the bike is performing just like it should.

My case cover bolts were just loose and oil was getting out. I could loosen 4 bolts just with my hands easily. So I quickly tighten and torqued all case cover bolts on both side of the bike. Please check your covers first.

#25 ·
...Continued

Actually Paulo666, I suspect many bolts, engine AND frame bolts & screws, are not at proper torque levels. Also, a screw set that holds the front/bottom of the fairing is not a factory installation screw. My suspicions are shoddy assembly labor at the factory with little attention to detail on engine building- amoung others. Dealer could give a sh.. as well. Just get you out the door.

#26 ·
A Satisfied D675R owner

Ok, I hope this is the last post. Developments dictate that I relay the latest, and most likely, the last of this issue.
Triumph NA has stepped up and politely done the right thing. They've agreed that a remedy was necessary, and I'm very satisfied with their decision. I commend their honesty & integrity. I can now go on to enjoy what the D675R has to offer. I can't wait to get it on the track!
Anyway, thanks to all who rendered help via this thread. I appreciate it.

#30 ·
I have just discovered Oil leak on my 14" Daytona 675R. Around 3800 miles.

See pictures from this link.

https://goo.gl/photos/aS4BGAsGpHUo9EkB8

All the bolts are loose!!!!!!! I have tighten them a bit.. e-mailing my dealership right now.. SMH......... They probably didn't check when I had my first service there last year at 600 miles..

#31 ·
Glad Triumph resolved the issue, I also have a 14' D675R and I had both exup adjusted, and counter sprocket seal replaced with in the first 800 miles of having the bike. I was a little upset because they somehow "missed" the counter sprocket leak during the 600 mile service and I didn't catch it until after reading on this forum about the issue and checking physically myself. Boom, it was leaking, very small amount but none the less it was leaking. Bike was under warranty so I took it in and they replaced it. I've since put on close to 5K miles with no issues. I regularly go around my bike and check that all bolts are tight, and clamps are sufficiently snug. I believe in doing preemptive maintenance before something breaks down. This is a fantastic machine but also requires a diligent owner to make sure things stay up to par. Enjoy your bike!

#32 ·
Maybe you guys can help me identify this problem, my 2014 Daytona is "leaking oil" when it's sitting in my garage on "hot days" but when I take the bike for a ride no oil leak anywhere while baking at a red light or hanging out while I'm off doing my thing after just riding from one location to the next, is this the crankshaft oil seal that's still the problem or is it something else, figure I would ask you guys before moving on up the ladder with my question

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free Appb
-

#35 ·
http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2014-triumph-daytona-675/o/m155987#sch806504

This is probably the best way I can show it to you (click the link above). The larger piece you see in that diagram is at the bottom of your bike (its called the sump) if you feel under the bottom of the side fairings you are touching the bottom of the sump (sump is where the oil sits when your bike is off). The sump is held on to your engine by the bolts that you see in the picture (this was one of the bolts that was missing on my bike). there are 14 bolts in total from what I can see in the diagram. The bolt that I was missing was on the back side, it was being blocked by the exhaust and catalytic converter so I had to remove those components. Use a phone flashlight app to look in the areas that are shaded by other engine components.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.