Triumph 675 Forums banner

Anyone have crash experience with Bell Star??

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  wavrdr 
#1 ·
I have both a RF1100 and a Bell Star. I much prefer the bell for various reason, but when i had big crash a RF1100 saved my big dumb head so I'm scared to wear anything else. I wanted to see if anyone has put the Bell through a real life test and walked away ok?

#3 ·
i crashed in a Bell RS-1. Slammed the back of my head and wore through down to the kevlar weave or whatever. Didnt even have a headache.... Needless to say i ordered another. Not to mention the thing fits like a glove and is the most comfortable helmet ive ever worn.

#4 ·
I know this isn't particularly relevant with the two helmets being discussed, but when I had a high side, I smacked my head pretty good in a HJC helmet. I did get a new floater in my left eye from it, but otherwise my noggin is still in one piece. It was a freebie from the dealership so it couldn't have been much worse than the Bell one you are talking about. It was also before the new crash standards were put in place, so there is that too.

I upgraded to a X-twelve since then mostly for the added protection, and because the shape fits my brain bucket better.

I think fit is more important than people usually take into consideration. I think that if the Bell fits good, it would do just fine. Given the choice between a helmet that fits "ok" and one that fits proper, I would go for the one that fits better, even if it was a less expensive model/manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#6 ·
LOL...she's built quite the collection of Stars. On a couple crashes she actually did lose consciousness. The really bad one where she was in the hospital for a week she was out for 4 minutes and clearly concussed when I was with her and suffered short term amnesia where she didn't remember events from the past couple days.

The other crash where she highsided and broke her wrist she was out for about 30 seconds and concussed for a little bit but by the time I saw her i the pits she was fully cognizant.

Her last crash was a pretty fast one at Turn 13 at Chuckwalla (aka The Bowl) and helmet looked pretty thrashed and she did not lose consciousness.

A couple days ago she and I actually tried helmets on and to my surprise she has been wearing the wrong size Star the whole time. She has been wearing S when she should actually be wearing XS!!! Maybe if she were wearing the right size it may have helped with the loss of consciousness crashes.

For my crash I was wearing a Shoei X-11. After this season I had plans to replace it because it was already 5 years old with a lot of track use...but the crash retired it nonetheless. My helmet showed a lot of damage on the surface. I fortunately (or unfortunately) did not lose consciousness (though I kinda wish I did because I was in serious pain) but being fully conscious I was able to tell ALS on the scene my injuries. I clearly remember the crash and the first initial force my left shoulder/upper back to the big brute of the force followed by my head, left leg, and then my right leg compound fracturing where the bone actually pierced through my kangaroo leather suit....it was a bloody mess. The pool of blood is still on the track and the track owner said I can actually autograph it.

My next helmet I plan on getting is either a size Small Bell Star or a Medium Bell RS-1

(but back on topic)....

One thing you have to consider to is the force of the crash. At certain forces even the most top of the line helmet will not stop you from losing consciousness.

The most expensive gear will always be cheaper than a hospital bill. So something to keep in mind. However if budget is an issue, then do not cheap out on things that protect your head, hands, and feet. If price is an issue, than meticulously study/research the product and its features and benefits

#9 ·
Agreed, i hit an 18 wheeler that pulled out infront of me wearing an Icon domain II and those are nice helmets but when you have no where to go but the fender of a big rig you're going to loose consciousness. I dont care if you're wearing an 800$ lid.

I was wheeled away with a concussion and two spinal fractures and thats saying alot considering i took out his headlight with my face, flipped over the hood of that thing and slid/rolled another 30 feet

#11 ·
I think the fit of any "quality" helmet is more important than which flavor you have chosen. I had a low speed fumble in the grass in my Star that fit me well, but not quite perfect and had a mild concussion, with the helmet only showing minor light scratches.

Meanwhile, I had a huge crash at Daytona(100+mph) that not only scuffed the whole front of my Arai, but removed a chunk of material the size of a silver dollar from the left side and I didn't even have a headache!

I attribute the lack of injury in my Arai to the superior fit to my head over the Bell.....

My .02 is whatever helmet fits you best, will protect you best!

#12 ·
My gf crashed into rocks wearing Icon alliance. Locked up the front while in gravel/rocks and went knees/head first at 30mph. Helmet is toast, there's rock penetration through outer shell.
Walked away (thank you, $15 knee guards!) without a headache.

Right fit first, brand of helmet next.

I'm semi-convinced, just by talking to other junkies, that protection vs. price has heavy diminishing returns. For the sake of numbers, lets say you get linear increase in protection up to 95% with linear increase in price to something like $200, at which point each extra % of protection costs $100. Also, with more expensive helmets, majority of the extra price is in ventilation, noise isolation and weight savings.

#14 ·
For the OP....... i would simply be concerned how the helmet is rated (DOT/SNELL) and that you get the right size even if you have to spring for bigger cheek pads. We can all tell about our wrecks and what helmet we were wearing at the time but there are countless variables to an accident no one can really say how good a job the helmet did. that's why the ratings are important (particularly the SNELL).

i wear a STAR and am very happy with the fit, finish and breathability. really wanted an arai or shoei but the transitions visor is the shizzz.

#15 ·
For the OP....... i would simply be concerned how the helmet is rated (DOT/SNELL) and that you get the right size even if you have to spring for bigger cheek pads.
By that logic everyone would be wearing an $80 piece of shit Hawk.
http://www.leatherup.com/p/Snell-Ap...Silver-Full-Face-Motorcycle-Helmet/52215.html

Real crash data is really ALL that matters. A scientist in a lab can tell you some shitty Chinese helmet (not to name names...) will take X foot-pounds of pressure before it crushes and it's perfectly safe and Snell rated blah blah, but if multiple racers crash in them and end up in comas or with a stutter, you couldn't pay me to use one.

The expensive brands have had decades of real crashes where professional riders sustained minimal head injuries, and that's why they're trusted. Bell Stars have been around long enough now to get some decent real-world data out of them, and the data seems to show that they're pretty damn good for the price. If I wasn't so happy with my Arai I'd probably be willing to try a Bell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.