Triumph 675 Forums banner

Help! '06 675 finally died

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  MacBandit 
#1 ·
After 30k of hard miles, track days, and racing, the motor died on the way from work yesterday. .... Sounded like maybe something in the valve train let loose... Like maybe a valve spring failed?

I have drained the oil, it is clean

I have removed the timing chain cover, timing chain is fine

I have removed the camshaft (or valve) cover. ... Cant see anything wrong.

What should I do next to determine what went wrong?

#2 ·
Most common valve train failure is the head of the valve to drop off. Look down the spark plug holes and see if you see anything in the cylinders. If not do a leak down test. If you can't do that at least do a compression test. If you have a bad cylinder then there is no need to do anything else until you pull the motor.

#3 ·
Thank You Mac. . . . . Fook, it is hard to see down there. .. I can barely see into cylinders 1 & 3. ... Pretty much cant see into number two. ... Am i going to need a borescope? any suggestions on a good, reasonably priced one (that will fit past the spark plug threads) ? Or?

#5 ·
Thank You Again Mac ... I will run a compression test tonight (assuming that my compression tester has an adapter for our spark plug hole) .... probably an obvious question (answer) ... do I need to have the ECU connected to spin the starter ?

#13 ·
It can vary a lot. In the best case but very unlikely just a valve. Normally however you would be looking at minimum all the valves on that cylinder. Worst case, piston, cylinder, valves, cam, head. The worst case is what our race bike needed after dropping a valve at the end of the straight at PIR.

#8 ·
I gotta chime in here, If I had a bike with only 30K miles on it and it died I'd be looking at where I failed in general maintenance. I'd also be pissed off, really pissed off.

Modern sportbikes are able to go over 200K miles with proper maintenance.

You also make a comment that it's had "hard" miles you give an example of "track days", sportbikes are BUILT FOR track days. That is not hard miles. They are made to rev out and brake hard and do it for a LONG time, WITH PROPER MAINTENANCE.

Sounds like you need to learn how to properly maintain your ride.

#9 ·
I gotta chime in here, If I had a bike with only 30K miles on it and it died I'd be looking at where I failed in general maintenance. I'd also be pissed off, really pissed off.

Modern sportbikes are able to go over 200K miles with proper maintenance.

You also make a comment that it's had "hard" miles you give an example of "track days", sportbikes are BUILT FOR track days. That is not hard miles. They are made to rev out and brake hard and do it for a LONG time, WITH PROPER MAINTENANCE.

Sounds like you need to learn how to properly maintain your ride.
I don't recall the op saying anything about lack of maintenace, or maybe you have his log book...:whistle: 30k is pretty good, considering some of the 675's have had valves drop b4 first service was even due.

Nuno!

#11 ·
Maybe he had the long dipstick :whistle:

And nothing is 100% reliable anyway, ya know...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.