Triumph 675 Forums banner

Who had a 600cc + first bike?

179K views 964 replies 592 participants last post by  Chamca 
#1 ·
Just thought it might be interesting to hear real tales from the people who got a 600cc bike for their first bike and how they went on it. How many of us can be honest? :)

I bought the 675 after riding race dirt bikes(I know, completely different) as a kid, and a kwacka ZZR-250 on the road for just over a year. In hindsight even though I love the 675 and Im normally a responsible rider, another year or so on the 250 wouldnt have been a bad thing, and the 675 still spooks me at times.

And since we're all being honest, can we all now admit that Scorched yellow is the best colour and everyone else is envious? :D

Note : I reserve the right to delete the last comment when/if black is released as a choice :evil:

#2 ·
My first bike was a '00 Yamaha YZF-600R. That thing was a TANK. I wasn't a big fan of it, but I found it for a good price - $3,700 with 8,000 miles on it in March 2003, and it went over 200 miles to the tank... Definitely wish I would have started on a Ninja 250, though. I don't miss it at all. But, my second bike was actually slower, but I thoroughly enjoy(ed) it -- and that is/was my '03 Suzuki SV650S. Fun as all getout! It would have been a better 1st bike than the YZF, what with its friendlier powerband and nimbler handling. Bought that one for a great deal also, in April 2004 for $3,800 and 4,200 miles.

The 675 is a head-and-shoulders improvement over the YZF in EVERY which way, and technically better than the SV, though the overall fun-factor is suprisingly close to the SV. Though my 675 gets the nod in amount I love it, LOL!

#3 ·
Tank?, try starting on a 92 ZX-6D. That thing was awful. I did crash it, rider error. Fixed it, rode it another year, moved up to a 95 ZX-6R. much faster and way better suspension/handling. Had that over a year with no incident before stepping to the 675. Haven't looked back since!!

I did ride dirt for 2 years before a two year drought with no bike. Been riding for 5 years solid now.

#4 ·
I started offroad at 12 with a honda monkeybike and honda xl125 dirtbike.varios little bikes through the years and now
the 675 is my first road bike(27 now)and its great. 1905km so far,no spills or big scares yet. love to buy more carbon parts and tidy it up a bit but Finland is one expensive place to live! ( im Scottish)

#7 ·
I started a few yrs ago on an '86 Ninja 1000R. :shock:

I enjoyed that bike, but never got really confident on it. I learned more in a month on the 600 than I did in a year of riding the ZX. It just had too much torque....and weight. Not to mention crap tires, brakes, and suspension. Stonkin' motor on that bike tho. :p

#8 ·
fargin_bastiges said:
FZR400.

Just because other people started on 600s doesn't make it a good idea.

Graphite is the best color:)
I forgot to say, I did wish i had started with something newer, with better suspension. I also should have known to start smaller, like a 2000's or newer 500 or even 250. I think I would have had much more fun. I now see why it is better to start small, as my crash is evidence. That is why I tell the newbs to start small instead of buying the 675 as a first bike.

#9 ·
My actual first bike was a 400cc, an 82 Yamaha Seca 400 I got for $700! What a piece of crap, but I loved it. I rode it for a month and a half then got my true first bike - the Suzuki SV650S and that was an awesome bike. After 2 years on it, I finally got bored of it and moved up to the awesome D675!

#11 ·
ShnikeJSB said:
My first bike was a '00 Yamaha YZF-600R. That thing was a TANK. I wasn't a big fan of it, but I found it for a good price - $3,700 with 8,000 miles on it in March 2003, and it went over 200 miles to the tank...

The 675 is a head-and-shoulders improvement over the YZF in EVERY which way, and technically better than the SV, though the overall fun-factor is suprisingly close to the SV. Though my 675 gets the nod in amount I love it, LOL!
I started on a '99 YZF 600r and can completely agree with what you're saying.. I owned both the YZF and the 675 for about 2 weeks before the YZF got sold and let me tell you that switching back and forth between the two you can really see the differences.. Riding the YZF feels like you're on a sofa compared to te 675! So comfortable. The YZF is a great bike - I loved it despite its tankish qualities it was uber fun! Changed sprocket (might have to do it on the 675 as well) to -1/+2 and boy did that make a difference!
but anyway i went off on a tangent.. yeah i started on a 600, no i didnt lay it down.. i am a firm advocate that you can start on almost any size bike. self control is key.

#12 ·
I had a '99 Katana 600 as my first bike. A little on the heavy side, but handled really well. It was more of a sport cruiser than a super sport, but no one outside of the sport bike community really recognized that fact. Everyone always told me I rode a crotch rocket.

I loved it. I miss it. I still wouldn't trade the 675 for anything though!

Oh, and graphite all the way!

#13 ·
I started out on a Triumph 600TT. Bought it the weekend right after completing the MSF course. Sold it 2 years later when my first son was born. On a side note, although I owned it for 2 years, I probably got around a year worth of riding in. The poor little TT had sooooo many problems. 2 1/2 years later, another Triumph in the garage. I am overly happy.

All that said....I would be a better rider today if I had started out on a 250. Still a bit slow and cautious. Not necessarily a bad thing. Looking forward to trying a novice track day.

And people........RED

#14 ·
Depending on how you count it, I started riding in the 70s on an 80cc Yamaha dirt bike or a 1979 CB650 about ten years ago. In between, I rode bicycles (push bikes) fairly constantly, so I never got out of touch with what a single track vehicle feels like.

If I had started riding on a Supersport 600, I would probably be wrapped around a post somewhere, since it takes a number of trackdays and a lot of effort to keep the inner lunatic in check. Somebody with more self control might be able to start on a 600 and be just fine. Not me, thanks.

#18 ·
my first motorcycle as well as street bike was a KLR 650. not a sport bike but I rode it like a sport bike. I leaned that thing so far the back tire would skip in corners. after a few months on that thing and a little while on an aprilla pegaso 650 I got a TT600, two days after I got the TT I did a track school on the advice of my dealer to "learn how a sport bike handled". He knew I had only ridden dual sport/ touring bikes. that one track day still pokes out every once in a while when I need it most.

#19 ·
The D675 is my first bike (other than a honda 110) I sometimes wish I started on something smaller (250 nin or something). I think the fear factor of 1st gear wheelies keeps my riding more sane than what it would be with a nin 250.

thanks,
Scott

#20 ·
I know that this post will most likely draw scorn and hatred from the Triumph faithful, but the 675 is my very first bike ever.
I took a weekend MRE/MSF riding class and walked on to the dealership that monday. Needless to say I rode off...
Been shiny side up ever since, with both wheels on the ground (some of the time :))
You can be safe on any bike, just need to use your head, listen to those more experienced than you, and know your limits.

Peace.

#196 ·
I know that this post will most likely draw scorn and hatred from the Triumph faithful, but the 675 is my very first bike ever.
I took a weekend MRE/MSF riding class and walked on to the dealership that monday. Needless to say I rode off...
Been shiny side up ever since, with both wheels on the ground (some of the time :))
You can be safe on any bike, just need to use your head, listen to those more experienced than you, and know your limits.

Peace.
Thank you!

Because I am going to be in the same boat! I truely believe rider skill is KEY.. but I also agree that SELF control is crucial...
Especially being 27 here in a week... I know self control.. Shit, I drive a FAR from stock STi... takes more restraint to drive a fast car slower than a slow car to the max..etc.

Very good to know though that this was your first bike...

I am in absolute love with the 675 as the other bikes I've sat on are just freaking WIDE... lol

I'm 6'2" so once I go to the dealership and sit on it, I hope that it "fits"

:-D

-Nigel

#21 ·
speaking of limits lol. I droped it doing something stupid. I turned down hill with almost no speed and .... it fell over. doh i am such an idiot. (it snaped a mirror that I was going to take off and smashed a turnsignal that is due for replacement today) yay watsens boo falling over and atleast it didnt do any other dmg to the bike.

Later,
scott

#22 ·
Okie triple said:
speaking of limits lol. I droped it doing something stupid. I turned down hill with almost no speed and .... it fell over. doh i am such an idiot. (it snaped a mirror that I was going to take off and smashed a turnsignal that is due for replacement today) yay watsens boo falling over and atleast it didnt do any other dmg to the bike.

Later,
scott
This is why my MSF teacher told us that the best way to get used to slow speed turns is to go around a neighborhood or parking lot at no faster than 5 MPH and without putting your feet down.

#24 ·
At least you didn't get your glove caught on the brake lever while in a slow speed turn, which made you go off the driveway into the grass, which in turn made the bike slip out from under you, LOL! :oops: Yeah, guilty as charged!

(with my SV, not my 675! -- er, that is, if it WAS me... Dumbest thing EVER...)

#25 ·
PSUdaemon said:
I had a '99 Katana 600 as my first bike.
i had a katana 750 as my first road bike. unlike PSU though, i hated mine. it was heavy and fat. the stock tires sucked big time. it instill zero confidence when you lean; always feels like it's slipping even in the modest angle. the rear brake locks up if you even thinks about using it. the list goes on. i had thought that was norm until i rode an ex500. absolutely the best beginner bike EVER. i learned more about riding in the one month i had it than an entire year on a katana.

#26 ·
falloutboy33 said:
PSUdaemon said:
I had a '99 Katana 600 as my first bike.
i had a katana 750 as my first road bike. unlike PSU though, i hated mine. it was heavy and fat. the stock tires sucked big time. it instill zero confidence when you lean; always feels like it's slipping even in the modest angle. the rear brake locks up if you even thinks about using it. the list goes on. i had thought that was norm until i rode an ex500. absolutely the best beginner bike EVER. i learned more about riding in the one month i had it than an entire year on a katana.
I had a fresh set of pirelii diablo strada's on it from day one. And yes, those bikes are heavy and fat, but I think learning on that makes you a better rider. Cause then you know you are handling the bike properly, as apposed to man handling a lighter model. I had that thing leaned over pretty good many a time. It's longer wheel base made me sure I knew how to steer it too. Having a passenger on an underpowered 600 also makes you sure you are good with that. I'm not saying it's the greatest bike ever, but it sure helped me learn how to ride, and because of that it keeps a special place in my heart...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.