Triumph 675 Forums banner

Crank, no start. Stator?

5K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  bobnestler675 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if any one can help me out with a problem I'm having. My bike cranks over, but refuses to start. It's an 09 with about 16k miles. R/R was replaced via warranty less than 2 months ago, used two different batteries (one new, with same results), checked spark, and my cps read 215 ohms.

At this point I'm thinking its the stator. I tried testing it via just the connector, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I'm getting less than an ohm on each try and it doesn't register volts. None of the wires look burnt and the stator itself only looks a little dark.

I've searched and haven't found any results. Any thoughts guys?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I unfortunately know too much about stators dealing with electrical gremlins on my 04 Daytona 600. That isn't your problem. You should be getting low ohms across them, all fairly close to one another. That's resistance. Low resistance=good stator. It could still be imperfect, but you'd have to check voltages with the stator unplugged from the RR and voltage check at idle and again at 5k, but, you'd need a running motorcycle.
Try the crank position sensor like mentioned, check your TPS, check fuel lines. Hell, check fuses.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

#14 · (Edited)
So I just replaced my stator and crank sensor. It started up fine and I warmed it up and took it around the block. I shut it off to see if it would restart since I noticed the CEL is on. It wouldn't restart, I bumped started it and as soon as I pulled the clutch lever in it stalled. I figured the clutch switch was the culprit so I bypassed it for testing purposes and it wouldn't start. I bump started it again and rode away once it fired up instead of pulling in the clutch lever and it continued to run. Also, I put the kickstand down in first gear to see if the kickstand switch was working. I guess that only tells me if it works to kill the engine rather than on start up. I'm kind of lost now, anybody have any ideas? I also cleaned the contacts on the starter switch.

#15 ·
Sounds like your idle stepper motor isn't doing its job. Maybe it got its adaptation parameters screwed up. I'd try resetting them and seeing what happens. Could also be bad gas or something else totally unrelated. Does it sound like it's running on all cylinders? Also make sure your map sensor is connected properly. If the hose got popped off in all your messing around it can do strange things like what your describing.

#16 ·
So, found out my battery probably has a bad cell. I charged it while replacing the stator and it fired right up once I got it all back together. I noticed smoke and saw that I left the breather hose on the bottom of the air box disconnected... oops. That could be the cause of the cel I guess. I jump started it once I got it home with one of those lithium jumpers and it started right up. I also realized that the guy I bought the bike from gave me the tune ecu so I'll download the software and see what code I have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.