Triumph 675 Forums banner

06-12 Steering Stop Replacement/Protector

39K views 119 replies 48 participants last post by  ZSutton 
#1 · (Edited)
When it comes to the 2006-2012 steering stop Triumph seems to have overlooked their design slightly. Many of us have suffered from a broken steering stop after crashing, ultimately leading to a salvaged title. This stop may be used as a protector for the stock design or as a full replacement. To prevent the stock steering stop from breaking, this design stops the triple tree prior to contacting the cast frame but only limits steering by ~1 degree. All hardware is stainless and the stop has been anodized to keep it looking good for years to come.

The stop is offered with both aluminum and Delrin frame plates. It is recommended that the aluminum be used for stock applications and the Delrin or aluminum be used for track applications; the Delrin design allows 2mm of plastic deformation before the bolted hardware goes into pure shear, reducing the impulse loading at contact.

At this time the stop does not support the stock steering damper, but a separate piece is being designed to replace the stock mount structure.

PM Munch or myself for pricing details.

See less See more
#5 ·
Would be interested if it could be modified to accommodate a damper (mine is aftermarket) in the stock location.
If that's possible, PM price and shipping costs to Australia, please.

I had an SES limiter on a previous 675 track bike but it greatly reduced the turning ability (and therefore increased turning circle). It wasn't an issue on track but made it harder to maneuver in the garage, and also prevented the use of the ignition lock.

#13 ·
Why is the mounting bolt metric and the spacer bolt English or is te English 5mm the same as the metric 5mm? That may explain another weirdness. The the bolt going into the frame was kind of tight even before it go to the encapsulated thread locker. So I compared it to the bolt I took out and the pitch was a hair different. The OEM one I took out was a perfect metric 1.00 pitch but the one in the kit was not.

#14 ·
The frame bolts are a metric 6 x 1.00 and should comply to DIN 912 and have a class 6g fit, they are also made of 316 SS so by all nature they should be significantly better than what is included from the factory. I am unsure why the bolts you are measuring are not compliant with your thread gauge.

The bolts used for mounting the frame plates onto the contact plate are 10-24 english. The reason that these are english rather than metric has to due with the differences in standard thread pitches. A course thread metric is .8mm which is roughly equivalent to a fine thread english bolt (10-32). Since the shear strength of delrin and aluminum is low in comparison to the 316 SS flat head I wanted to use a courser thread to provide greater resistance to thread shear at assembly. For a given length courser thread pitches will have a higher thread shear load due to the increased area.

I will include the appropriately sized allen key with delrin purchases to remove the seperable plates.

#18 ·
oooooo didn't know this existed. I'm shopping for a new frame, and this opens up new possibilities for ones with broken steering stops! May be purchasing from you soon.

edit: just noticed you're located in MA! do you have a stock of these, if I were to need one on short-ish notice?

#31 ·
excellent! thank you sir. I'll be painting it anyway.

Ever heard of a way to fix that brittle collar that's part of the frame inside the steering head? The one that the upper bearing race sits on when you tap it in.

ahh found a pic. mine is worse than this: http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll83/Roostre_photo/Triumph%20Street%20Triple/DSCN2886_zps650416e3.jpg
What year is your bike? Just throwing it out there, Triumph replaced the entire frame on one of my bikes under warranty when that broke.

#24 ·
haha that's about the response the guy at GMD Computrack had when I was explaining this yesterday. Yes I used a hammer and flat head to get the old bearing out, and then put in new spherical ones.

So obviously, he told me I have to replace my frame. Upon quickly searching for new ones, we found that this is not an uncommon issue with wrecked triumphs. That casting is weak as shit.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.