Triumph 675 Forums banner

Exhaust Deaden help

6K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  desmodromic 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I received by Danmoto baffle today and I've read some people have stuffed the baffle with steel wool to deaden it or something. I'm not exactly sure what's the best way to tackle this, do I wrap it around the outlet gap, fill the outlet gap with the steel wool or fill the inlet hole with steel wool?

OUTLET

INLET

THANKS!

See less See more
#2 ·
Baffle is a real perf killer. Restricting flow for noise control. Stuffing fiberglass in between the the shells will lessen noise but add more restriction. Drilling holes in the dead end wall will improve flow but add noise. The core pipe is usually a long pipe with lots of holes drilled into it with fiberglass surrounding it with some length to it.Note most silencer baffles have a smaller dia than that for this bike. like around 1" dia or a bit more. If your ambitious you could drill lots of holes thru both pipes and stuff it with fiberglass. Does require at least a drill press and it boring as hell. Danmotos are really cheap.Actually worth it, the SS one, for the connecting pipes and shell for a rebuild with new guts.I have thought about that. Might do it in the future. To quiet this puppy down make a new baffle using 1 1/4" Dia pipe welded to the the end cup for mounting. As long as it can be with fiberglass stuffed around it.Drill 1/8" holes in the length as many as you can stand. You would have flow and some noise reduction. Better than what you have now. Does require fabrication equipment or hopefully you know someone.

#3 ·
have you tried it as is? if so and you want more quiet then using still wool will help. wrap the center section (with the holes) with layers of steel wool. you'll also need to secure it around that center tube with some bailing wire or stainless zip ties to keep it from roaming around inside your pipe as it breaks down over time.

the trick is to wrap layers, not just stuff it 'til it's packed tight. look up "re-packing a 2 stroke pipe" on google and you'll see how its' done.

if you pack it in there too tightly you'll restrict exhaust flow enough to overheat the engine, burn valves or other nastiness.

#4 ·
Thanks, I'm just wondering how you'd wrap it within the small gap to get it around the tube. The spacing is very small, do I shape the wool first and slide it in? But then that'd be similar to "stuffing" it not wrapping

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#5 · (Edited)
Get some stainless steel pot scrubbers like these:

Sized appropriately so that they will press-fit into the inner tube of your exhaust. Stick 1 or 2 down your exhaust, and then install your attenuator. Basically you are using the attenuator to hold the pot scrubber(s) in place, and prevent them from blowing out.

You may have an issue with the scrubber unraveling and working its way through the holes in the attenuator. You can prevent this by wrapping the attenuator with screen from an exhaust repair kit:

http://www.itwconsumer.com/versachem-products/product.cfm?id=Muffler%20%26%20Exhaust%20Repair%20Kit-66

I did this with a Competition Werkes lowboy and it is significantly quieter.

#9 ·
That's what I did. I got two bags of coarse steel wool and stuff them up. I would still much rather search some more into the cruiser crowd and get a universal baffle that would fit inside. There are so many to choose from. Just need to get one that is twice the length and I don't think I would need the steel wool then.

#12 ·
The whole point of aftermarket exhausts is usually performance enhancement and lighter weight, isn't it?

What you are doing is making the bike give *less* power output than the stock cans would!

It seems a bit backwards to me .... :whistle:

S.

#13 ·
The whole point of aftermarket exhausts is usually performance enhancement and lighter weight, isn't it?

What you are doing is making the bike give *less* power output than the stock cans would!

It seems a bit backwards to me .... :whistle:

S.
I hope it's not going backwards! I don't think a couple of steel fluff could do much to performance. These things are extremely loud

#16 ·
Fair enough, hence I would like to do this deadening properly to avoid any adverse effects with the help of members here.

I doubt that it can be properly done unless you get a different silencer that isn't as loud. You will gain power from opening up the exhaust (I've heard she loves to breathe, de-catted or arrow system shows real gains), and thus 'deadening' will most likely always lose a little power. I hope not too much :icon_wink:

#19 · (Edited)
Try pot scrubbers. Steel wool will compress too easily and restrict air flow. Pot scrubbers are made from a thin band of stainless steel, are harder to compress and will allow more air to flow through than steel wool. Yet since pot scrubbers are basically a long, thin band of material, they have a lot of surface area to bounce sound waves around, which ultimately will reduce exhaust volume.

Btw, if you continue to experiment with steel wool, it is best to use the stainless variety.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.