Triumph 675 Forums banner

HJC RPHA 11

6K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  luciano136 
#1 ·
Just bought a HJC Rpha 11. It should arrive Thursday, apparently it is a little over 3 lbs. I've been having persistent neck and back issues although the chiropractic work has been really helping it, I thought I may as well lighten up my helmet given that they say any forward head lean can increase the weight your neck feels by up to 30lbs, add a helmet and that number only increases. Any opinions on the RPHA 11 or helmets of similar weight and quality? I previously was running a Scorpion EXO 1100.

#4 ·
Less weight never hurts, even though I don't feel like forward lean is much of an issue on a sport bike. I had neck issues as well but it wasn't related to riding but my computer monitors being too low. I raised them up 4" and it's all but gone.

The largest noticeable difference with a high end helmet to me is fit, finish and ventilation. I honestly don't notice the weight difference much. I have a Bell Star Carbon and Exo T1200.

#5 ·
I'm running an Rpha 10 as well and it has been the best fitting helmet I've had. Rpha is leaps and bounds better quality than Scorpion. Unless I fork out for an Arai next time my next helmet will be another Rpha.

#6 ·
It's not just the weight of a helmet that factors-in for neck pain issues. It's the position of the CoG too. I once had a Bell helmet and oh boy it was such a pain but without being much heavier than the rest - (about 1400g) - it just had a very strange to me CoG position and it strained my neck very fast. I threw it away and got myself an HJC FG-14. The difference in weight comfort was striking. I was so afraid of letting it go that I kept it for 9 years (yeah I washed it occasionally :)). I moved to an RPHA 10 about two years ago and I'm ultra happy with it too. Better overall quality than the FG-14 and all the good stuff retained, like lightweight and a perfect shape for my head. I'm definitely trying an HJC first when the time comes to replace this too.

Regarding helmets in general I think that some helmets fit (in form and function) some people better and others fit others commensurately. It's a matter of fit and preference.

#7 ·
I'm going to try out the rpha11 and corsair x at the motorcycle show in a few months.

#8 ·
I've had every version of the high end HJCs. They're all excellent, light, comfortable with good aerodynamics. Aerodynamics is a huge part of neck pain. The problem is at low speeds your heads being pulled down by weight and high speeds pushed back by air. Minimize weight and drag and your neck will thank you. The newest models have improved air flow which is a plus. I can't say there is anything I didn't like about my HJCs. I'd still be wearing one if I hadn't gotten the new Arai for cheaper than the HJC.

#9 · (Edited)
I've had every version of the high end HJCs. They're all excellent, light, comfortable with good aerodynamics. Aerodynamics is a huge part of neck pain. The problem is at low speeds your heads being pulled down by weight and high speeds pushed back by air. Minimize weight and drag and your neck will thank you. The newest models have improved air flow which is a plus. I can't say there is anything I didn't like about my HJCs. I'd still be wearing one if I hadn't gotten the new Arai for cheaper than the HJC.
I have to agree. My first helmet ever was HJC's AC-12 Carbon and I loved that helmet. Throughout the years I wore other brands but here I am 10 years later back in the RPHA-10 Pro. I may just jump on the 11 Pro for the finer tweaks they made to the helmet.

#10 ·
In the last 2 years I have purchased 3 HJC 10's. One I crashed in and had no head injuries, 2nd and 3rd are working just fine. What I like about the helmet besides the fit, aero and weight is the sight window is good for for street and track use. I've used all 3 99% on the track and during slow speeds and high speeds I love this helmet.

#11 ·
Just got my RPHA 11 yesterday initial feelings about it are, fitment is great, very quiet when riding at high speeds, ultra lightweight of course, shield kept fogging up this morning so I'll have to install the inner screen that attaches to the pin lock to see if that helps. Only thing that I noticed that annoyed me was that my SENA 20s was a pain to install on this thing (scorpion was much easier), it felt like I was going to break the inside of the helmet when trying to shove the clamping mechanism in (I don't trust the adhesive approach). Anyways the helmet feels much better than my Scorpion EXO 1100, not sure if its psychological but it feels like the field of view is much larger which made me feel much more comfortable going through corners it just seemed to give me more confidence than the EXO 1100 again not sure if that is psychological or not. Overall I think I will be very happy.

#13 ·
I didn't realize HJC was in the higher end helmet market. I've had some previous HJC helmets and wasn't impressed but the RPHA 11 seems to be getting some good reviews. I'll have to check out HJC next time. I unfortunately just bought a Shoei RF1200, nice helmet but I was mostly after the transitions photochromatic shield. I had a Bell Star with a transition lens and now I'm spoiled. hopefully HJC comes out with their own version soon.

#14 ·
I didn't realize HJC was in the higher end helmet market. I've had some previous HJC helmets and wasn't impressed but the RPHA 11 seems to be getting some good reviews. I'll have to check out HJC next time. I unfortunately just bought a Shoei RF1200, nice helmet but I was mostly after the transitions photochromatic shield. I had a Bell Star with a transition lens and now I'm spoiled. hopefully HJC comes out with their own version soon.
Only the RPHA is in that segment, the rest of their line is not. If that RF-1200 is a great fit for you, then the RPHA won't be, it's a little different shaped (looser). Keep in mind - it's taking forever for these mfgrs to put Transitions shields on their helmets. It took Shoei at least 3 years to release theirs after announcing their intentions to have it. I wouldn't hold my breath for any certain company to follow, lol. I agree about them - love not having to worry getting caught out in the dark - the shield just does it's thing. :smile2:

#16 ·
as useful as the transition is, I find it more form over function in a sense as it'll never get as dark as a true dark smoke

#17 ·
probably preference. That's why I like the transition lenses, atleast the Bell version -haven't ridden the Shoei yet due to rain and work. The dark smoke lenses have always been a bit too dark for me. I usually default to the light /medium smoke. The wife likes the dark smoke lenses over the transition lens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.