Triumph 675 Forums banner

Shoei Testament

4K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  Neanderthal 
#1 ·
Saw this on a friends page. Thought this was a pretty good story.

"Two weeks ago (oct 19th) a teenager was texting while driving. He decided to merge with no signal right into me on the freeway. I only know what i was told happened from the accident and slight fragments of memory. I either got hit, or swerved out of the way, at the same time a pickup truck had merged into a lane in front of me and from what i recall the kid merged into me again and i pulled forward to get out of the way. I remember slamming on my brakes and looking up to see the pickup for a brief, hearing a crunch, and waking up on my back seeing the sky.

I woke up in the middle of the 101 freeway screaming for someone to please get me out of the road. Masses of people pulled over and blocked off the freeway for me and called the paramedics. The paramedics strapped me to a board and showed me my helmet and made a joke about how I better appreciate how pretty I am. Everyone was astonished that the helmet was in such pristine condition considering i slammed into a pickup, did a face dive, and rag dolled down the freeway presumably face first at a speed of somewhere between 50 and 70 MPH.

I want to thank you Shoei for saving my life. I would not have survived the accident without the helmet you produced. The fact that I don't remember nearly all of the incident says I hit my head pretty hard and it would have been a pretty slim chance of survival. Not to mention the fact I slid on my face down the freeway and would have had to have complete facial reconstruction if I was lucky enough to survive.

The first thing i plan on doing when I can walk again is buying an RF-1100. I am going to pick one up before I even start picking out a new motorcycle."

See less See more
#4 ·
They sure can be proud of themselves :thumbup:

#6 ·
Goes to show that 600$ helmet is pretty damn cheap in the long run. That 50$ cycle gear helmet might have worked but your head might look like scrambled eggs.

Shoei, Arai, Bell, HJC all make top notch helmets and all fit in price ranges anyone can afford.

If you can afford a 10K bike you can afford a 600$ helmet.

VERY HAPPY TO SEE YOU ALIVE AND WELL!

#10 ·
Goes to show that 600$ helmet is pretty damn cheap in the long run. That 50$ cycle gear helmet might have worked but your head might look like scrambled eggs.

If you can afford a 10K bike you can afford a 600$ helmet.

!
yes sir, precisely the point i try to make all the time. Glad to hear the OP is still with us.

REDOCTOBER, yeah, i have Hood H2 aramid pants i wear all the time (or scorpion duece over my jeans in winter). I took the knee armor out of my HOODs because it just didnt seem to fit right, standing it would be below my kneecap and tucked it would be above my kneecap! I got some KNOX knee tubes from TJ@RD. Super comfy, light, dont even feel them and they always stay in place. All parts of the body are equally important whether it be hands, ankles, toes, knees, hips, head.

ATGATT!

#7 ·
I endo'd at the end of our main straight (usual speed for a 600 is about 130mph) I don't remember the accident, other than flying over the handle bars, but my shoie rf1100 saved my life when I face planted and tumbled down the run off area. I'd post pics but I don't dare let my wife see them on my photobucket account lol. I have a Bell carbon that I love but I'm now scared to wear anything other than a shoei so I have both.

#9 ·
My gf blew a turn, went straight into gravel/rocks, tucked the front and went down. This happened at only 30mph. Icon Alliance helmet looks pretty much exactly like yours, with slight penetration past the outer shell. She did, after all, land into pointy rocks. Walked away with not even a headache.

That's it for the helmet. The piece of gear that REALLY saved her was the $15 kneepads. She was wearing kevlar jeans with pads underneath. She landed knee first into rocks, ripped the jeans at the knee and just had a small bruise instead of knee replacement surgery.

AGATT.

#12 ·
if you think about it here in the states the min charge if you take ride in the meat wagon is $2,000! If your $600 Helmet, $150. Gloves, $500 Jacket, $300 boots, and pants keeps you out of the of ER it's pretty damn cheap.

Or Even a $1500 suit along with boots and gloves
yet, we have guys drag racing in blue jeans and tennis shoes :laugh:

#14 ·
Great story. Im glad to hear the rider was ok. I took a face plant with my HJC Rps-10 when I rode off track one time. The helmet was pretty messed up but I wasnt really any worse for the wear. Just shook up from the crash. The very next day I went out and got the same helmet. Im with you guys. ATGATT!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com App

#16 ·
This was a while ago but I low sided on my SV, not at high speed, maybe 15 to 20 mph. What was chilling is that as I was sliding my face struck the pavement 3 times. My boot had gotten caught under the tail and it flipped me off my back. My Scorpion Exo 700 too two on the chin on one on the shield. Very little visable damage to the helmet but I knew that a bare face would have ment a really messed up mush. As it was I ended up with a broken thumb from the bars snapping back.

#24 ·
I pay for comfort and protection. I have a,Shoei head, I do like the comfort of the bell star helmets.

#26 ·
I liked the fit, the fabric used in the Star was a strange feeling going from the Shoei.

Best advice is to try one on yourself.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Motorcycle.com App

#29 ·
I've tried the Shoei but no one here carries Stars.
I have a Shoei RF-1000, and have tried a Bell RS-1. The Shoei is hard to get over my ears, but once on it's the best fit I have found yet, for me. The newer RF-1100 does not fit me as well.

The Bell RS-1 is a little more round than the RF-1000, not much, but it was def noticeable, and a bit loose. I exchanged the RS-1 for an Arai RX-Q, which still does not fit as well as the Shoei, but better than the RS-1.

It's a real bitch, but about all you can do is put in some miles and check everything out, or play the shell game with the online vendors. Helmet mfgrs also play with the shapes too. The first Scorpion EXO-700 I had fit pretty good, the second one did not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.